IGNORED

Different SMB/Duck Hunt cartridges?

Astor Reinhardt

So while digging through stuff to sell and opening things up to clean, I came across three different cartridges. All are SMB/Duck Hunt and they all start up as such...nothing odd about the game but when I open them they're different. One I can't even open because the screws are different...I took some pictures. The first one seems to be a normal cartridge. The second one is an obvious fake but why fake such a common game? Even back in the day...wasn't this a super easy game to get? The third picture is of the one I can't open. Feels heavier then the other two. Wondering if I just need a flat head to open it...but I don't know if I have any that small! Not sure why the screws are different unless someone opened the game up to do something to it and then replaced the screws for some odd reason.

So I guess my question is...why fake SMB/Duck Hunt? And do you think those screws can be gotten out with a tiny flat head?

20191109_204245.jpg

20191109_204513.jpg

20191109_204643.jpg

Yeah, the third one is just a slot screw. A flathead screwdriver will open it.

Glob tops were just a way to save some money on mass production, and since SMB/DH was probably the most common NES game, it made sense to use it for that one at some point.

Fakes/pirates also used glob tops for the same reason, cheaper to make if you make enough of them.

Edited by Tulpa

On 11/10/2019 at 1:44 AM, LeatherRebel5150 said:

The third you can't open just needs a flat head screwdriver. Im pretty sure that was the first type of screw they used very early on before moving to the security screws. Chances are it may have the famicom board with adapter in it hence the extra weight. All 3 are legit 

Yeah, there was a short period between the switch to three screws and the switch to security screws, and a few 87 (and 88?) titles have three slotted screws.

I don't recall any SMB/DH carts with Famicom boards, though. I don't think there was a fami combo cart of those titles.

Edited by Tulpa

5 hours ago, Tulpa said:

Yeah, there was a short period between the switch to three screws and the switch to security screws, and a few 87 (and 88?) titles have three slotted screws.

I don't recall any SMB/DH carts with Famicom boards, though. I don't think there was a fami combo cart of those titles.

Im pretty sure my SMB/Duck Hunt is a famicom convert. It was my fathers/aunt/uncles they got Im guessing some time in 86'. I'll have to double check and let you guys know .

Edit: I was wrong. Doesn't have one.

Edited by LeatherRebel5150

2 hours ago, LeatherRebel5150 said:

Im pretty sure my SMB/Duck Hunt is a famicom convert. It was my fathers/aunt/uncles they got Im guessing some time in 86'. I'll have to double check and let you guys know .

Edit: I was wrong. Doesn't have one.

It's impossible since there was no SMB/DH release for Famicom.