IGNORED

SUNSOFT is back !

Ankos

2 hours ago, Tulpa said:

They did the port of Spy Hunter, they did Battle Formula/Super Spy Hunter, and need I remind you, Mr. Gimmick?

Sunsoft rocks your nuts.

I found super spy hunter for $7 right next to spy hunter years ago. I would have sold them both but I label them “shooters” so they stay. 

i think I played gimmick for 5 minutes once… did it remind me of Kirby? 

7 hours ago, docile tapeworm said:

Overrated.
Batman is the only good game they where ever part of.

Actually... it's more difficult to find bad Sunsoft NES games than good/great ones.  Off the top of my head, I can only think of Xenophobe and Platoon.  As for good/great games:

-Batman
-Blaster Master
-Gremlins 2
-Spy Hunter
-Super Spy Hunter
-Journey to Silius (almost certainly supposed to be "Sirius")
-Gimmick
-Hebereke (Uforia)
-Freedom Force

You need to try sampling the NES library sometime; it's got some pretty good games... 😛

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Ankos said:

Didn't they make Blaster Master and publish Final Fantasy Adventure? I don't think they were one of the all time greats or anything, but they had some pretty good hits here and there

They made Blaster Master, and I might be off on this remembering stuff, but US they had Journey to Silius, Batman, Batman Return of the Joker, Lemmings, Super Spy Hunter for some quality stuff.  Hit and miss would largely be the rest on the US side with things like crummy Platoon, overly hard but not bad Festers Quest, Sky Kid, Gremlins, Freedom Force, and Xenophobe.  They also published Spy Hunter for Midway.

So largely they put out good stuff, and I mention publishing because that answers your other game question.  Square at first put out Final Fantasy Legend 1,2 and 3 (aka SaGa) and Final Fantasy Adventure (aka: Seiken Densetsu prequel to Secret of Mana) but didn't sell them that long, so Sunsoft pitched a re-release deal in the mid 90s and got the rights to re-release all four games.  They have slightly different stickers/box/manual art with the logo swaps largely being it, but also Sunsoft to save money did NOT re-print each of the four games fold out posters which mixed maps, gear you can earn/buy(and who can use, costs), and spells making them pretty useful unfortunately.

Here's a list of the stuff they've made/published: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Sunsoft_video_games

1 hour ago, docile tapeworm said:

i think I played gimmick for 5 minutes once… did it remind me of Kirby? 

Gimmick while aesthetically similar to Kirby is much more difficult. It features unusually complex physics and enemy AI for an NES game and is generally regarded as a hidden gem. It also has a pretty good soundtrack. It is one of those weird entries on the NES like Cocoron, where it does not seem that interesting at a glance, but has a history of sucking people in who decide to try and beat it. I've seen some users compare Sunsoft to Taito and Tecmo in this thread, and I think that is a bit unfair, those were bigger companies with a lot more games. I think that higher end Sunsoft stuff is pretty good, but their library is not that massive compared to those companies. Cult classic might be a more fitting description for how a lot of their games, like Power Quest are viewed. Pitting them up against the Ninja Gaiden and Space Invaders guys is like comparing Vic Tokai to Capcom, it's a bit of a mismatch

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Actually... it's more difficult to find bad Sunsoft NES games than good/great ones.  Off the top of my head, I can only think of Xenophobe and Platoon.  As for good/great games:

-Batman
-Blaster Master
-Gremlins 2
-Spy Hunter
-Super Spy Hunter
-Journey to Silius (almost certainly supposed to be "Sirius")
-Gimmick
-Hebereke (Uforia)
-Freedom Force

You need to try sampling the NES library sometime; it's got some pretty good games... 😛

like I said earlier in the thread I could take or leave all of those titles…except gremlins 2.

23 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

There's a lot of bad Sunsoft games, they just kept them in Japan.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, phart010 said:

I doubt Sunsoft is back. I think some dude just bought the rights to Sunsofts IP and is now going to license rights out to some cheap developers to remake some old NES games. I wish them the best, but I’m not getting my hopes up too high

Sad but true. I just hope the Gimmick rerelease is of the Arcade version. I heard that one has a level editor. Maybe they should get Inti Creates to make more games based on their IP

Nah Sunsoft of Japan never folded, the US office has though, like twice before though. Even when they folded up in the US as the GBC was heading into the sunset, the Japanese company stuck around and peddled their old games on the Wii virtual console.  In Japan though they went lean, kept up with more budget releases on systems but largely stuck to computer and mobile device type games and apps and remained fine, just not fine enough since to resurface outside Japan.

This isn't the sad and disgusting history of what happened to SNK though thankfully.  Sunsoft is still them, not gobbled up by a sleazy pachinko peddler that killed operations and wasted the IP on their tiny balls, nor were they (like SNK) bought up by some CCP owned chinese software company to make weird mobile games, release very little quality actual games, and then pander hard off their old IP while mostly sitting on it and playing 'remember this...' games with the fans.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

Nah Sunsoft of Japan never folded, the US office has though, like twice before though. Even when they folded up in the US as the GBC was heading into the sunset, the Japanese company stuck around and peddled their old games on the Wii virtual console.  In Japan though they went lean, kept up with more budget releases on systems but largely stuck to computer and mobile device type games and apps and remained fine, just not fine enough since to resurface outside Japan.

This isn't the sad and disgusting history of what happened to SNK though thankfully.  Sunsoft is still them, not gobbled up by a sleazy pachinko peddler that killed operations and wasted the IP on their tiny balls, nor were they (like SNK) bought up by some CCP owned chinese software company to make weird mobile games, release very little quality actual games, and then pander hard off their old IP while mostly sitting on it and playing 'remember this...' games with the fans.

Wait really? I thought they croaked years ago. I guess that explains why they had the same person do the English and Japanese trailers. It looks like Sunsoft is trying to capitalize off of their old IPs though. If their new stuff is as good as Blaster Master Zero, then I welcome it with open arms. Mr. Gimmick Zero...that would be something I'd like to see

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ankos said:

Wait really? I thought they croaked years ago. I guess that explains why they had the same person do the English and Japanese trailers. It looks like Sunsoft is trying to capitalize off of their old IPs though. If their new stuff is as good as Blaster Master Zero, then I welcome it with open arms. Mr. Gimmick Zero...that would be something I'd like to see

Well, it helps that Sunsoft is a subsidiary of Sun Corporation (not the same Sun Microsystems that Oracle bought about a decade ago.) Sun Japan makes electronic equipment for police, science, etc, so they're pretty diversified and able to stick around.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I think Sunsoft got forgotten cause they didn't release many remarkable games after the 8 bit generation (although they made some very well made arcade ones). They were like Natsume: their games had a high quality standard, but they just weren't famous like Konami. 
Particularly, I think their soundtracks were among the best of those times (and there's a ton of covers of the songs from Batman and Silius on Youtube). 
That's a shame they "vanished". Although their games could sometimes be very hard (not a rare thing when it comes to the NES), they were generaly fun and well executed.  

Edited by DreamCuPS
  • Like 1

• 9 months later...

Unless announcements have been mixed up, they are doing both a remake of the original, and a sequel, Ufouria: The Saga 2 🙂

Not sure who the people involved with these projects even are, there is no real guarantee of their abilities, and we could end up with another Bubble Bobble 4 Friends situation. But I'm hoping for the best. 🙂