IGNORED

2022-23 NCAA and NFL Football Thread

Bearcat-Doug

Administrator · Posted
20 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

How about Josh Allen or Joe Burrow?

That one is a toss-up.

The Allen/Mayfield argument was because of the other guy being a Browns diehard and singing the praises of taking Baker Mayfield, and didn't want to hear about how Josh Allen would have suited the Browns much better.

He was stuck on Allen's completion percentage in college.  Wyoming doesn't exactly have the elite WR recruits pounding down their door.

8 hours ago, captmorgandrinker said:

That one is a toss-up.

The Allen/Mayfield argument was because of the other guy being a Browns diehard and singing the praises of taking Baker Mayfield, and didn't want to hear about how Josh Allen would have suited the Browns much better.

He was stuck on Allen's completion percentage in college.  Wyoming doesn't exactly have the elite WR recruits pounding down their door.

Well, Browns are and always have been a dumpster fire. Allen would have been a total failure in Cleveland because all they do is ruin top flight quarterbacks. How many different coaches and offensive schemes have they cycled through in his short time in the league?

Bills have a legit coach with a legit system and a good owners that aren't the Haslams, who is maybe a half a step better than Dan Snyder. While I can't say for certain that Baker would sniff the success that Allen has if the picks were reversed, I will say that it is far more likely than unlikely he would.

And it's not like he had a terrible run in Cleveland. He had a couple good years and made the playoffs. They were starting to build a good team atound him. But the Browns did what they always do which is blow everything up and start over for like no reason. I have no reason to believe they will ever do anything right.

Administrator · Posted
7 hours ago, Kguillemette said:

Well, Browns are and always have been a dumpster fire. Allen would have been a total failure in Cleveland because all they do is ruin top flight quarterbacks. How many different coaches and offensive schemes have they cycled through in his short time in the league?

Bills have a legit coach with a legit system and a good owners that aren't the Haslams, who is maybe a half a step better than Dan Snyder. While I can't say for certain that Baker would sniff the success that Allen has if the picks were reversed, I will say that it is far more likely than unlikely he would.

And it's not like he had a terrible run in Cleveland. He had a couple good years and made the playoffs. They were starting to build a good team atound him. But the Browns did what they always do which is blow everything up and start over for like no reason. I have no reason to believe they will ever do anything right.

Hot take- I think Baker did fine with what Cleveland gave him, but I think Josh Allen would have been better.

I'm not counting last season against him; even with it being a "non-throwing shoulder" that's still going to take some off of your throws.   I'm done with the Browns anyway after the whole Watson mess.

1 hour ago, captmorgandrinker said:

Hot take- I think Baker did fine with what Cleveland gave him, but I think Josh Allen would have been better.

I'm not counting last season against him; even with it being a "non-throwing shoulder" that's still going to take some off of your throws.   I'm done with the Browns anyway after the whole Watson mess.

Josh Allen was super raw though and had a big learning curve. His first two years were pretty bad, but they have good coaching in Buffalo that stuck with him and identified his strengths and needs. If he were if Cleveland they would have kicked him to the curb, gone 0-16 again so they could draft Trevor Lawrence and ruin him too.

What's unfortunate for Baker is he was traded to another badly run franchise with another coach that will probably get fired after the year. 

Speaking of Jacksonville, that is a team to watch. 

Administrator · Posted
34 minutes ago, Kguillemette said:

Josh Allen was super raw though and had a big learning curve. His first two years were pretty bad, but they have good coaching in Buffalo that stuck with him and identified his strengths and needs. If he were if Cleveland they would have kicked him to the curb, gone 0-16 again so they could draft Trevor Lawrence and ruin him too.

What's unfortunate for Baker is he was traded to another badly run franchise with another coach that will probably get fired after the year. 

Makes you wonder how many of those QBs that Cleveland ruined could have been great elsewhere?  

23 hours ago, captmorgandrinker said:

That one is a toss-up.

Burrow has a head start going to a Super Bowl in his second year even in a losing effort. Dan Marino did the same thing and turned out okay.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

I mean, Allen did everything he could to will his team to the Super Bowl last year.  Blame that defense for gassing.

Justin Herbert is still out there too. The 2020 draft could mirror the 1983 draft class with John Elway, Dan Marino and Jim Kelly. It's a good time to be a football fan.

5 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Was looking at the OU roster and saw this.  It has to be a joke, right? 😅

Screenshot_20220824-085826.png

Omg it’s legit

https://247sports.com/player/general-booty-46058082/

Never seen or met anyone with the first name General and with that last name…yikes

Talk about turning lemons into lemonade he has his own shirts where some profit gets sent to charities. 

https://mtjn.org

Edited by a3quit4s

Editorials Team · Posted

Dude, this guy... impossible not to like.  He actually played for my school's archrival, but I have to root for him.  Came from nothing (single mom who fled across the country with 2 little boys), grew up in a tiny apartment here in our expensive-ass town.  Never had anything.  And now he's on an NFL roster, as an undrafted free agent.

On 8/24/2022 at 11:02 AM, a3quit4s said:

Omg it’s legit

https://247sports.com/player/general-booty-46058082/

Never seen or met anyone with the first name General and with that last name…yikes

Talk about turning lemons into lemonade he has his own shirts where some profit gets sent to charities. 

https://mtjn.org

That may even be a worse name than former NASCAR driver Dick Trickle.

10 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

That may even be a worse name than former NASCAR driver Dick Trickle.

I would way prefer being named General Booty over Dick Trickle.

General Booty sounds like a nickname for a stud.

Dick Trickle sounds like a serious medical problem.

3 minutes ago, Makar said:

I have a draft in like 2.5hrs. 12 person league. I have first pick. I’m thinking Jonathan Taylor first obvi but from then on what? RB, WR next 2 picks? Then QB WR? Grab kelce or andrews early instead of a WR? 

Frank Gore is going to earn those short TD opportunities