IGNORED

Game Debate #115: Gran Turismo

Reed Rothchild

Rate it  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Rate based on your own personal preferences, NOT historical significance

• 10/10 - One of your very favorite games of all time.
    • 9/10 - Killer fucking game. Everyone should play it.
    • 8/10 - Great game. You like to recommend it.
    • 7/10 - Very good game, but not quite great.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. You might enjoy occasionally playing it.
    • 5/10 - It's okay, but maybe not something you'll go out of your way to play.
    • 4/10 - Meh. There's plenty of better alternatives to this.
    • 3/10 - Not a very good game.
    • 2/10 - Pretty crappy.
    • 1/10 - Horrible game in every way.
    • 0/10 - The Desert Bus of painful experiences. You'd rather shove an icepick in your genitals than play this.
    • Never played it, but you're interested.
    • Never played it, never will.

Almost felt like racing rpg.  Nothing like taking some old beater used car around the track, grinding up enough scratch to finally get something half decent, winning some tourney's, tricking out your fav car, and ultimately winning the rally cars.

I'd give it an 8, only because it was quickly outclassed by the sequel, with more cars, cups, and songs on the soundtrack.

Edited by fox
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, DefaultGen said:

Never played 1 but loved 2. Really made you grind a hell of a lot to get far in the game but it was maybe the first sim racer I got way into. Now you boot up Forza Horizon and are driving fun cars before the title screen.

That’s because today we have low attention..

Hey, is that Hot Wheels?!!!

• 2 months later...

I gave it a 6.  It looked really cool and got me excited when it came out.  Then I realized there is a type of racing game that I just don't have time to play - this is it.

Who wants to drive around a Toyota Supra and pretend it is a race car?  A very accurate simulation of a Toyota Supra on top of that!  I guess somebody does, but not me.

It's difficult to rate this one.  I'm having the same issue I had with the original Mortal Kombat.  If I was rating it when it was first released and before any sequels were made, I would be giving it a 9 or a 10.  However, the original game became almost irrelevant when the sequels started coming out.  Every Gran Turismo game released afterwards (at least through GT4), improves on this game in every way, and because of that, I will probably never play the original again, except for a brief spurt for nostalgic reasons.  

Obviously this game has historical significance, but since ratings aren't supposed to take that into account, I'm probably giving the original a 6.  I would probably rank GT2 a 9 because of the huge improvement over the original with significantly more cars and tracks (including real world tracks).  GT3 was a HUGE improvement in graphical performance, but since it was early in the PS2 life, they had to cut way back on cars and tracks and I would actually rank it slightly below GT2.  GT4, however, is pretty much a masterpiece and would get a 10 from me.  It's a close to a perfect racing game as I've ever played.  

Edit:  I'm not sure how I missed this back in August, but apparently I never voted on it.  Today it popped into my unread activity, and I thought it was a new debate.  Sorry I was late to the party.  

Edited by TDIRunner

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/4/2022 at 5:28 PM, Multiplat Cat said:

Sort of unrelated, but I ordered Tourist Trophy for PS2 recently and am looking forward to playing it. Does anyone have any thoughts to share on this one? It was by the makers of GT and used the same engine, but focused on motorbike racing rather than cars. Heard it was good, though.

It truly is exactly Gran Turismo, but with motorcycles.  I enjoyed it for what it was, but as more of a car guy myself, I prefer Gran Turismo.