IGNORED

WATA Pop Report Seal Ratings

• The title was changed to WATA Pop Report Seal Ratings
11 minutes ago, Gulag Joe said:

professional video game collectors 

Tell me more about this profession. 

Is there a 401k? Do you guys all wear patagonia vests, like investor bros? 

Is the professional video game collectors guild taking applications? Not sure I could handle the sheer amount of wata fellating required, but I will do my best. Ever since I was a little kid I wanted to be a professional video game collector. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Agree 2

I assume professional video game collectors get paid to astroturf on video game forums about sealed gaming companies and graded game prices.

Maybe they get paid in acrylic cases or trident gum, or maybe cold hard cash. Who could tell, I haven't been invited to the cool kids club yet because I open my video games and play them 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

Nice, my 9.6/A+ Super Black Bass for SNES is the only made in Japan graded, which seems to be a rare first print to find. Still at WATA but should be back very soon. 

Also my Motocross Maniacs 2 for GBC is a 1/1 for now.

All-Star Baseball '99 GB is another 1/1

Edited by mlbfan10
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Gulag Joe said:

Even more unsurprising among professional video game collectors was that there was only one 9.8 A++ Super Mario 64 added to the list. That leaves a grand total of 3 in existence. Rare indeed.

Definitely rare, but by no means should it out price a high graded matte sticker SMB. Or many, many other NES titles. 

I think that's the thing about it... it was never that SM 64 at that grade was a dime a dozen, but that many more highly historical games should have been at the top of the bidding wars.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Gulag Joe said:

Looking for replies from professional video game collectors only, please. Thank you.

I might not be a “professional” game collector, but I do have a PHD in game collecting as well as a current certification from the Video game certification licensing board (good through 2030) so I outrank you not only in classification, but also collection quality (and value). 

Professional game collectors are like the dental hygienists, and those with a PHD are like the dentists. So show some respect. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, 3rdStrongestMole said:

Definitely rare, but by no means should it out price a high graded matte sticker SMB. Or many, many other NES titles. 

I think that's the thing about it... it was never that SM 64 at that grade was a dime a dozen, but that many more highly historical games should have been at the top of the bidding wars.

Well, there are no known sealed SMB mattes, and the highest graded gloss would very likely end significantly above where the Mario 64 ended. How many NES games in top grade should end above a top Mario 64? Mario and Zelda top grade earlier print, definitely. Past that? I'm not really sure tbh. There's also a single 9.8/A++ early print Sonic that I think could top a million. Many consider Mario 64 the single greatest video game ever created, so I think the very top grade collectible should probably be in the top 5. 

Note, I'm speaking in relative terms of where I think a top grade Mario 64 should be in the echelon, not commenting on how much I think it should have gone for. But I think long term, top grade Mario 64s will be near the very top of the ladder for video game collectibles. 

Edited by ExplodedHamster
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, Gulag Joe said:

Looking for replies from professional video game collectors only, please. Thank you.

I think you should lose the arrogance, bud. It's only going to end poorly for you. 

I love when people as yourself toss out statements such as "only one known to exist", "pallets don't exist" and the like. It's all bogus, things are still turning up even now, twenty, thirty, forty years past the creation of this stuff. So enough with the willful misleading hype, please. I would be more surprised if there weren't more major earthshattering sealed finds within the next ten years. Not speaking out my ass here either, rather speaking from patterns that I have followed regarding this stuff for just shy of 25 years.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, fcgamer said:

Promise I'm Not trolling you here, but I've never heard anyone ever say that, aside from perhaps @OptOut

If this is the concensus, I'd actually really like to know who these people are.

Probably speedrunners. Just because it has lots of cool movement tricks to learn, and has both beginner and advanced categories categorizes for speedrunning, so it overall is very well set up for that sort of thing

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, fcgamer said:

Promise I'm Not trolling you here, but I've never heard anyone ever say that, aside from perhaps @OptOut

If this is the concensus, I'd actually really like to know who these people are.

according to a gamefaqs article i read in 2005 ffvii is the greatest game of all time 🧐

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/features/10year

• Like 3

18 hours ago, ExplodedHamster said:

Well, there are no known sealed SMB mattes, and the highest graded gloss would very likely end significantly above where the Mario 64 ended. How many NES games in top grade should end above a top Mario 64? Mario and Zelda top grade earlier print, definitely. Past that? I'm not really sure tbh. There's also a single 9.8/A++ early print Sonic that I think could top a million. Many consider Mario 64 the single greatest video game ever created, so I think the very top grade collectible should probably be in the top 5. 

Note, I'm speaking in relative terms of where I think a top grade Mario 64 should be in the echelon, not commenting on how much I think it should have gone for. But I think long term, top grade Mario 64s will be near the very top of the ladder for video game collectibles. 

whats a sonic tho 🧐

21 hours ago, fcgamer said:

I think you should lose the arrogance, bud. It's only going to end poorly for you. 

I love when people as yourself toss out statements such as "only one known to exist", "pallets don't exist" and the like. It's all bogus, things are still turning up even now, twenty, thirty, forty years past the creation of this stuff. So enough with the willful misleading hype, please. I would be more surprised if there weren't more major earthshattering sealed finds within the next ten years. Not speaking out my ass here either, rather speaking from patterns that I have followed regarding this stuff for just shy of 25 years.

It’s not arrogance, it’s confidence. @ me when you find some pallets. We can have a good laugh ten years from now.

36 minutes ago, Gulag Joe said:

It’s not arrogance, it’s confidence. @ me when you find some pallets. We can have a good laugh ten years from now.

Terms such as "professional video game collectors" are arrogant.

As for the rest of what you said, more will turn up, it's only a matter of time. 

The seal ratings help a lot. I have a handful of pop 1 highest grades. 9.8 A+ MMBN2 + 9.6 A++ MM&B

98504540_ScreenShot2022-08-18at3_05_57PM.png.1f273963305209af584e67a1a6704a06.png

755002674_ScreenShot2022-08-18at3_06_42PM.png.9d66e98cc37950d224b647e389d90e59.png

I'm also surprised to learn my Majesco reprint of MMX is a pretty high grade relative to what's out there (9.4 A++). Only one corrected NES code of the same grade, and 3 higher of the current variant.

1006417817_ScreenShot2022-08-18at3_10_42PM.png.b41dc0446723ae3d9dcfbf3a69533f9b.png

And possibly most important of all, my 1 of 55 (9.8 A++) Gauntlet Legends, also known as the rarest sealed game ever (obviously).

1773120753_ScreenShot2022-08-19at12_57_37PM.png.cda0129bd506d3507f381c1db435e237.png

• Like 1