IGNORED

Lemme see those customs!

drxandy

Needed to replace the shredding and worn thumbstick on my Xbox one controller, but I wanted to go another route and changed the buttons, face plate and sticks. This was the second time I've taken apart an xbone controller and the first doing the buttons.

Here was the original look, lunar white:

spacer.png

Results:

spacer.png

spacer.png

Although I really liked the look of it stock, I got this halo faceplate/teal lookin buttons and sticks to use for a launch model controller and the halo face only fits the v2 model. Since my original plans couldn't work out I figured heck it, put it on this one.. changing the sticks and dpad is super easy but getting access to the buttons is a lot harder, even more if you don't want to remove wiring.. ended up snapping off a trigger rumble wire and had to solder it back on. Now it's working great and it was nice to learn, but a lil frustrating for me today 😕 haha very different compared to working on Xbox and 360 controllers (specifically taking the bumpers off, holding in the home button to get them off, oooof) but now I know how 🙂

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
Events Helper · Posted

Hello all, not often that I share, but I figured I would give a shoutout to a fellow sage and show off some mod work!

@LambBrainz sent me his monitor 64.  What the heck is this you ask......Well, it was a passion project of Lamby.  He apparently has shoved all kinds of things into other things, no dirty thoughts, and decided one day to make an all in one N64.  He posted on reddit about it, and you can find all the deets there, but I thought I would share the 1 of a kind Monitor 64 with you all.  It is in my posession and I love it!!!!!!

AL9nZEUnQaPuTfrs8_eofU5INWy05KkE7cPS8YFIO7TjsOvHn_zrGga9ShsMZBZrUZBnBhpi632v45v7n6geULA75M8a01K9asRhtGtyDay8ASgCC1zSdLQBh2N6l3FljRY9LyLmrMIZRQTj3lSkbm_NEfwg=w1055-h937-no?authuser=0

I tried playing some Mario 64 on it today and it worked like a friggin' charm!!!!!

20221005_125104.jpg

And look where you insert the cartridge, right on top of the monitor 🤣.

unknown.png

It comes with built in speakers as well and is really fun to tinker with.  I must say I am impressed with the mod job.  

• Like 3
  • Wow! 3
  • Love 2

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/11/2023 at 10:17 AM, drxandy said:

spacer.png

Interesting.... But if you're not going to keep a Mega Man game in there for dust protection then what kind of world are we living in????

Haha... jokes.... but those colours would work well with some Mega Man accents or something.

Also, just curious.... what kind of paint is it? And how'd you colour the buttons on the controller?  🤔

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, AirVillain said:

Interesting.... But if you're not going to keep a Mega Man game in there for dust protection then what kind of world are we living in????

Haha... jokes.... but those colours would work well with some Mega Man accents or something.

Also, just curious.... what kind of paint is it? And how'd you colour the buttons on the controller?  🤔

Ooo yeah I didn't even think of MegaMan vibes but you're right 🙂

Paint used on the top of the nes was krylon fusion color "satin rolling surf" I wanted to be lazy and not paint the whole thing haha but also there wasn't anything wrong with the bottom

The controller isnt painted just replacement buttons from https://store.kitsch-bent.com/ (just noticed they have colored N64 sticks now, heck yaa that's cool) it had a broken cord so I removed a section of chewed up wire, resoldered the wires back and it's a little shorter length now but works great.

3 hours ago, drxandy said:

Ooo yeah I didn't even think of MegaMan vibes but you're right 🙂

Paint used on the top of the nes was krylon fusion color "satin rolling surf" I wanted to be lazy and not paint the whole thing haha but also there wasn't anything wrong with the bottom

The controller isnt painted just replacement buttons from https://store.kitsch-bent.com/ (just noticed they have colored N64 sticks now, heck yaa that's cool) it had a broken cord so I removed a section of chewed up wire, resoldered the wires back and it's a little shorter length now but works great.

MEGA Mega Man vibes! And since there's no dust protector... throw a Mega game in there, man! 🤣

I see... is it glossy? Seems glossy...

Interesting about the buttons. 

20 hours ago, AirVillain said:

MEGA Mega Man vibes! And since there's no dust protector... throw a Mega game in there, man! 🤣

I see... is it glossy? Seems glossy...

Interesting about the buttons. 

Haha I gotchu

spacer.png

spacer.png

I found this locker shelf and wanted to use the wire material to make a door for the system but i like it as a stand haha.

The paint is more matte but the smoother parts catch light so I def see the gloss.

• Love 1

1 minute ago, drxandy said:

Haha I gotchu

spacer.png

spacer.png

I found this locker shelf and wanted to use the wire material to make a door for the system but i like it as a stand haha.

The paint is more matte but the smoother parts catch light so I def see the gloss.

Haha, great shelf. Mega Blue Shelf.

Right on... I always thought these types of things NEEDED glossy paint as the other (non automotive paint?) is sticky and weird.

54 minutes ago, AirVillain said:

Haha, great shelf. Mega Blue Shelf.

Right on... I always thought these types of things NEEDED glossy paint as the other (non automotive paint?) is sticky and weird.

Naw as long as you paint when humidity is low,  do thin coats, let em dry for like a week between. First coat I did  probably because I shook the can too much, got some drippage and had to wait to sand and do another coat. The krylon fusion line is designed for plastics without using a primer.

19 minutes ago, drxandy said:

Naw as long as you paint when humidity is low,  do thin coats, let em dry for like a week between. First coat I did  probably because I shook the can too much, got some drippage and had to wait to sand and do another coat. The krylon fusion line is designed for plastics without using a primer.

I imagine the thin coat is the key.

I have seen some pretty nasty looking "customs" that have thick, dripping in some spots, paint.

• Agree 1

• 3 months later...

@DarkTone sweeeeet, the lid and the cart slot are awesome!

The bricks and color scheme are great too, heck almost too many little details, haha

I would remove the logos just because it should be obvious what is being referenced and I think it would look cleaner without but dang they did a nice job!!

• Agree 1