IGNORED

Lemme see those customs!

drxandy

spacer.png

Anytime I find a console or accessory that has seen a hard life and just needs a little love to bring back to good working order, depending on where it's at I either choose to restore or customize and since I like my gear to be aesthetically pleasing it's a lot more fun to customize! Here's a few projects I've completed in the last few years.

N64https://imgur.com/gallery/59OxFYO

GBA:

101 screen

20170402_172252.thumb.jpg.8948b3e2e2eba6b423ff5faebe87188f.jpg20170402_154157.thumb.jpg.b6d74bd614ae056ade81aa0f4bb85134.jpg

GBA 001 IPSv2 screen kit, inside of shell painted:

spacer.png

https://i.imgur.com/kzE9nZi.mp4

In progress: https://imgur.com/gallery/FN5lVut

Paracord sleeved SNES Controller: 

spacer.png

https://imgur.com/gallery/OF38xjP / in progress: https://imgur.com/gallery/XRZOjzK

What kinda customized goodies have you done/own? Are you more on the stock look with hidden mods? I wanna see that gear!!

Edited by drxandy
  • Like 7
  • Love 1

Here's an NES mod I made years ago.  It allows 15-pin Famicom accessories and adjustable expansion audio:

NES_FamiEquipped_cover.jpg.d706af0a5bbc4eafab94b8a93352ca02.jpgNES_FamiEquipped.jpg.b4273fdf804564b4183a613aeaee81f6.jpgNES_FFequipped4.jpg.0c58ba5aaeba8fced923b8132614283b.jpg

It's all hidden away behind the black trim piece of the console (easily removes for access).  At the top (far right pic) you can insert a small screwdriver to adjust the expansion audio trimpot.

Internally, it's mounted on a metal bracket and holds securely:

NES_FFequipped_Internals.jpg.13f1a35972bb2a9664c587eb037fa946.jpg

• Like 4
  • Love 1

Does anyone know where to get some type of quality decal or something like that for all of the red text on the NES?  I ask because I want to do a paint job on my NES but I also want it to retain the text.  I don't think there's any reliable way to mask text that small but if there's some way around this, I'd appreciate a tip.  Thanks.

• Like 1

Administrator · Posted

In all seriousness though, I love console mods! I love seeing what people have come up with, however creative, interesting, unique, etc.  It's something I really want to get into at some point just to customize my own stuff. 

For example, something I've always wanted to do, is mod my PlayStation 2 with a Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne theme, utilizing the designs from the main character.  I've always loved the SMT series and I just thought this would look super cool on a PlayStation 2.  One day!

E1rqZ0_PuAElehA.0.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RH said:

Does anyone know where to get some type of quality decal or something like that for all of the red text on the NES?  I ask because I want to do a paint job on my NES but I also want it to retain the text.  I don't think there's any reliable way to mask text that small but if there's some way around this, I'd appreciate a tip.  Thanks.

Maybe water slide decal like this?  https://www.ebay.com/itm/125442862513?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=C-iEfTM8S96&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=vTItpbLsQcy&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

I know theres a guy in Poland making nice looking metallic ones too but they might be more raised

https://www.ebay.com/itm/185042565058?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=1lGjVse2Q-G&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=vTItpbLsQcy&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

I'm in the process of working on an nes I found without the door and was thinking about making a replacement out of some kind of wire mesh, still looking for the right material when I go thriftin.

Also, not mine but yes

20220812_092142.thumb.jpg.1568a83927fe7a34b9f12213297c411b.jpg

Poot

Edited by drxandy

21 minutes ago, drxandy said:

Originally I wanted as OG as possible, which I assume was screen printed.  But that metallic red is nice.  I might have a change of plans.

image.jpeg.02ac012ca585ba09345adc8b126a0206.jpeg

image.jpeg.543239b6dcd6d4d7d1835962e43b75da.jpeg

image.jpeg.ff069f5587a4e9fcfd5a84af8ff2b1ee.jpeg

I don't modify consoles, but one of my friends gave me this modified NES last year. It still has the cover, but he removed the screws. He also removed the cartridge tray. Famicom cartridges like the pictured 64 in 1 (which @fcgamer gave to me) can fit. It can play certain unlicensed games that my original unmodified NES doesn't, such as Raid 2020. It can also play PAL games.

image.jpeg.b79e06af9ec809ddc156cf569aee1a00.jpeg

My original unmodified NES. It doesn't play certain unlicensed games, like Raid 2020.

Edited by MegaMan52
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, MegaMan52 said:

I don't modify consoles, but one of my friends gave me this modified NES last year. It still has the cover, but he removed the screws. He also removed the cartridge tray. Famicom cartridges like the pictured 64 in 1 (which @fcgamer gave to me) can fit. It can play certain unlicensed games that my original unmodified NES doesn't, such as Raid 2020. It can also play PAL games.

That looks really useful

• Agree 1

Administrator · Posted
11 hours ago, MegaMan52 said:

You know - it's funny, I never thought of anyone doing that ha!  If you want to keep the original NES model and have that functionality without more complicated modding, it seems to do the job!

Thanks for sharing! I enjoy seeing all the different setups people have, especially unique / interesting ones.

Woah there's a console modding section now? This is something I can get on board with. So yeah, here are probably my most used consoles. They're both Wii portables. So it's a real Wii motherboard, that's been trimmed down with a dremel, and rewired so that everything can still work as needed. Since it's an actual Wii, they can natively play the full GameCube and Wii library, without any slowdown or other issues.

bg03.jpg.98aac0c208992627cda11ca685b2e681.jpg

• Like 3
  • Wow! 5
  • Love 1

I really like my custom NES... but the fact that it was done by Custom NES Guy at the end of his run of ripping ppl off kind of tainted it for me. 

In fact, the mods from *Redacted* helped call him out in a thread to get my system finished. Without them it would have never been completed. (I also added the controller to it thinking extra money would help, and it did) So I suppose in a way I should look at it as an homage to them and their hard work. 

One day I hope to repay them at least for that. (IF YOU WERE A MOD THAT HELPED, PLEASE LET ME KNOW. PLEASE DO NOT BE HUMBLE OR TOO SHY, I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHO HELPED) @MrWunderful I believe was one person...

Also, because I know there are others (some here I believe) who are "still" waiting for consoles to be completed or have just been ripped off completely by Custom NES Guy I feel bad showing it off. 

I'm NOT trying to shit on Dark Tone.... the Platinum Fungi collaborations are insane and I'd show it off too. 

Of course I'll share mine for the thread as requested but that's why I don't "show it off" too much. 

The Wizard Collage.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Wow! 1
  • Love 1

5 hours ago, AirVillain said:

I really like my custom NES... but the fact that it was done by Custom NES Guy at the end of his run of ripping ppl off kind of tainted it for me. 

In fact, the mods from *Redacted* helped call him out in a thread to get my system finished. Without them it would have never been completed. (I also added the controller to it thinking extra money would help, and it did) So I suppose in a way I should look at it as an homage to them and their hard work. 

One day I hope to repay them at least for that. (IF YOU WERE A MOD THAT HELPED, PLEASE LET ME KNOW. PLEASE DO NOT BE HUMBLE OR TOO SHY, I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHO HELPED) @MrWunderful I believe was one person...

Also, because I know there are others (some here I believe) who are "still" waiting for consoles to be completed or have just been ripped off completely by Custom NES Guy I feel bad showing it off. 

I'm NOT trying to shit on Dark Tone.... the Platinum Fungi collaborations are insane and I'd show it off too. 

Of course I'll share mine for the thread as requested but that's why I don't "show it off" too much. 

The Wizard Collage.jpeg

Yeah I bugged him on quite a few different places I’m glad you ended up getting it.