IGNORED

Help needed to revive an Atari Lynx

Ulrizza

So I was really happy to get this broken Lynx 2 with its box since I never saw one in my life but the reparation is harder than I thought.
20220801_175041.jpg.7fc08952270409a0356671dc3d4d9de0.jpg

I've found out that one of the most common issues is that the components used to transform the 9V from the batteries (or the power supply) to the 5V that the console needs are breaking, and there is a good chance for the 9V to enter the 5V circuit, frying the CPU and/or GPU.

There is a simple way to test if this is the issue: inject 5V directly where it's needed (with a USB cable since it's 5V), and that's exactly what I did:
20220813_002403.jpg.e0d1d78d168ddf078817b643b49059fc.jpg

And the Lynx turned on, so there is this first issue that I can repair easily since I've already ordered and got the parts to do that from Console5.

But the other problem is that when the console turn on I only have a white screen (no sound, brightness works):
20220813_001307.jpg.67012ec9700309401842280077d85d62.jpg

And as I found on multiple websites including Atarigamer.com this means that the console is fried and we can't do anything ...

But I won't give up so quickly! 💪
I've also read that this white screen can be the cause of components other than the CPU or GPU, so they could be replaced by new ones.

Here are my questions:
- As for the Game Gear, SNES and other consoles, the caps in the Lynx are also prone to failure, could this result in a white screen? (I don't want to recap it for nothing, but this is currently what I'll do next without a better lead)
- What could be the components that may be faulty other than the CPU and GPU?

Thanks in advance for your help, I'll let you know when I have the time to work on it 🙂

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've done PC Engines that did nothing without a recap. I'd double check to see if any leakage destroyed any traces as that is not uncommon for devices of that era.

In terms of other things that could cause a lack of booting, I would be more suspect of the RAM and cartridge slot than the CPU. Try cleaning the cart slot with something like Deoxit or something like that. Make sure that you are providing enough power on your jerryrig as well, not the move I would have done, would have just sourced an AC adapter or properly hooked up to my bench supply using the DC in port.

Thanks for the tips 🙂

I've checked and there is no apparent capacitors leakage.
I think the cartridge slot is ok because if the game was not detected, the Lynx would've displayed "INSERT GAME". And I've already cleaned it with IPA.
I've read that an USB source delivering at least 1A is enough, and mine is a 2.4A.

When I'll have the time I'll recap it and see if it improves something or not!