IGNORED

2022 VGS NES Weekly Contest - Castlevania!

BeaIank

11 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

Finally, what is everyone's favorite castlevania game on NES? I could lose sleep debating that. Probably draculas curse, my first castlevania love was definitely simons quest. It doesnt get enough respect 

I really love Simon's Quest except for the boss fights: too few, too easy, drac's a joke, and they're all poorly programmed (you can walk right past them, and even if you beat them, they re-appear on your way back through the room... what?!?).  So, fix the boss fight issues and Simon's Quest would be solid gold for me...

2 minutes ago, PII said:

I figured that's what you were up to on drac with the boomerang and all.  You're drac fight was kinda intersting but slow.  I had figured that either I'd beat you by a relatively small margin or you'd totally blow me away by utilizing critical hits/insta-kills on bosses.  Maybe I'll change my mind someday, but right now I think those things are really hard to get down...

I tried the stair glitch crit on the first boss for a bit, and my success rate was maybe 20%... way too frustrating, and it was taking the fun out of it to be stuck in "jail" playing level one over and over again, so I stopped trying and just went for the best run a normal guy could do if he didn't have the internet for research...

1 minute ago, Dr. Morbis said:

I tried the stair glitch crit on the first boss for a bit, and my success rate was maybe 20%... way too frustrating, and it was taking the fun out of it to be stuck in "jail" playing level one over and over again, so I stopped trying and just went for the best run a normal guy could do if he didn't have the internet for research...

I spent a little time trying to get a critical hit on Drac. to no avail and didn't do any better trying the stair glitch for the Bat.   Early on my vote for most frustrating part would have been, hitting an undesired sub-weapon for a run ender.  Also, my D-pad thumb was starting to get a little sore earlier this evening just from holding right on level 1 over and over trying to get a good start.  But the worst moment award def. goes to earlier tonight when I was on my only other run that would have been sub-14 by 3 to 5 seconds or so and dying on drac. (first form) w/one hit bar left due to a dumb move, lol.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, PII said:

I spent a little time trying to get a critical hit on Drac. to no avail and didn't do any better trying the stair glitch for the Bat.   Early on my vote for most frustrating part would have been, hitting an undesired sub-weapon for a run ender.  Also, my D-pad thumb was starting to get a little sore earlier this evening just from holding right on level 1 over and over trying to get a good start.  But the worst moment award def. goes to earlier tonight when I was on my only other run that would have been sub-14 by 3 to 5 seconds or so and dying on drac. (first form) w/one hit bar left due to a dumb move, lol.

What about your best moment?  For me - speaking of picking up a shit sub-weapon - one run I got a random axe drop on level five from a hunchback, but instead of resetting, I built it up to triple shot and when I got to the Grim Reaper I had probably the best "real" fight with him in my entire life, running around the screen hurling axes all over the place and deftly dodging the swirling scythes; and it was over relatively quick too, maybe ten seconds more than the normal stun-lock kill.  So after this, I was really hoping I would get through drac with a great time and this would be my posted run with that awesome axe fight immortalized on youtube, but alas, it was not to be, as Simon decided to suicide jump into the stun-locked cookie monster five or so seconds before he would have been dead... 😞 

@NESfiend

Stopwatch you have already adequately defined 😉

Holy Water/Firebomb is the most effective weapon when combined with lots of experience

Boomerang is the best all around weapon, especially for anyone who isn't an old hand

Dagger is so lackluster I started to like it a while back as a way to make boss fights interesting again.

Ax is not the best or the easiest, but it allows for the most possibilities as it can be used to reach almost anything on the screen, up, across, below etc.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

What about your best moment?  For me - speaking of picking up a shit sub-weapon - one run I got a random axe drop on level five from a hunchback, but instead of resetting, I built it up to triple shot and when I got to the Grim Reaper I had probably the best "real" fight with him in my entire life, running around the screen hurling axes all over the place and deftly dodging the swirling scythes; and it was over relatively quick too, maybe ten seconds more than the normal stun-lock kill.  So after this, I was really hoping I would get through drac with a great time and this would be my posted run with that awesome axe fight immortalized on youtube, but alas, it was not to be, as Simon decided to suicide jump into the stun-locked cookie monster five or so seconds before he would have been dead... 😞 

I totally feel ya.  Fighting the Reaper with the Ax is awesome fun.  I had a couple of successful reaper fights where I ran out of hearts and had to finish him off with the whip, but my equivalent of your Reaper fight started with an undesired dagger on level 4 and a good dagger & whip fight with Frank and Igor that I was kind of looking forward to posting.  Maybe I'll put it up on youtube anyway.  The more runs I did the more I had moments like that, that I knew would probably get lost due to a better run.  I was playing on hard mode here while I waited for my video to upload and I finally did the that final run of dragon bone things on level 3 perfectly for the first time all week!

Breaking 14 was a final goal so that was my fav.  I remember thinking, earlier in the week that it might get necessary to get deep into 13.  Thankfully that wasn't the case...!

1 hour ago, NESfiend said:

Finally, what is everyone's favorite castlevania game on NES? I could lose sleep debating that. Probably draculas curse, but my first castlevania love was definitely simons quest. It doesnt get enough respect 

I'll be honest, the only one I really even like is Simon's Quest.  Of course, it's well documented that I prefer free-roaming exploration in my platformers rather than "go right" 😛

19 minutes ago, PII said:

Breaking 14 was a final goal so that was my fav.  I remember thinking, earlier in the week that it might get necessary to get deep into 13.  Thankfully that wasn't the case...!

Congrats on that!  I actually kinda knew you would be the only other guy to post an actual time, so once I got my 14:34 early Saturday morning, I began uploading it (takes over 2 hours for a 15 minute video on my pc for some reason) and I thought to myself, "If PII wants to put in the effort to get a sub-14:30 for the win, he can have it."  I just didn't want to spend all day or even both days of my weekend to improve one solitary place in the standings when I knew I had second place in the bag.  It makes me wish there were more people competing to motivate me/us to try harder, but it is what it is...

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, the_wizard_666 said:

I'll be honest, the only one I really even like is Simon's Quest.  Of course, it's well documented that I prefer free-roaming exploration in my platformers rather than "go right" 😛

Hey, you spend just as much time going left in Castlevania as you do going right; just saying... 😛

• The topic was unpinned