Jump to content
IGNORED

2022 VGS NES Weekly Contest - Castlevania!


BeaIank
 Share

Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

I haven't played since I uploaded my video to youtube on Saturday morning.  I actually spent a few hours beating Vs Castlevania on the hardest difficulty later in the evening for my personal list, but no time to play today, so for the relatively short amount of time I put in, I'll happily settle for second... 🙂

I've never played Vs Castlevania. How much difference is there from the NES version?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Member · Posted
1 minute ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I've never played Vs Castlevania. How much difference is there from the NES version?

I have the retrousb cart that has the arcade dipswitches so you can adjust time, bonuses, difficulty, etc.  The level layout is identical, enemy placement and everything is identical, it's just harder.  I set all the dips to the hardest settings, and it takes eight bars of energy when you get hit on levels one and two, ten bars on levels three and four, and twelve bars on levels five and six.  So basically you can only get hit once before needing a porkchop for insurance on the first four levels, and porkchops become meaningless on the last two levels since you die on your second hit regardless of whether you've gotten a porkchop or not.  this means taking shortcuts from boosting is mostly out of the question.  Time is also an issue on some levels; I actually didn't even know that Castlevania had warning beeps when you're about to run out of time until I played this version!  Also, they greatly enhanced the graphics of the ending text, making them more colorful and fade in and out better for whatever reason, but that's about it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

I have the retrousb cart that has the arcade dipswitches so you can adjust time, bonuses, difficulty, etc.  The level layout is identical, enemy placement and everything is identical, it's just harder.  I set all the dips to the hardest settings, and it takes eight bars of energy when you get hit on levels one and two, ten bars on levels three and four, and twelve bars on levels five and six.  So basically you can only get hit once before needing a porkchop for insurance on the first four levels, and porkchops become meaningless on the last two levels since you die on your second hit regardless of whether you've gotten a porkchop or not.  this means taking shortcuts from boosting is mostly out of the question.  Time is also an issue on some levels; I actually didn't even know that Castlevania had warning beeps when you're about to run out of time until I played this version!  Also, they greatly enhanced the graphics of the ending text, making them more colorful and fade in and out better for whatever reason, but that's about it.

No wonder you are so good at this. It sounds like you barely have any room for error on those last two levels.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Member · Posted
Just now, Bearcat-Doug said:

No wonder you are so good at this. It sounds like you barely have any room for error on those last two levels.

That's why I wanted to no-death Vs Castlevania yesterday while I was at the top of my game.  I bought the cart from a forum member here on VGS last year, and the game initially kicked my ass.  But after playing regular Castlevania for two entire evenings and a couple of hours on Saturday morning, and getting good to the point where I could no-death it in under fifteen minutes, I knew I had to strike the Vs version while the iron was hot, so to speak...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Dr. Morbis said:

That's why I wanted to no-death Vs Castlevania yesterday while I was at the top of my game.  I bought the cart from a forum member here on VGS last year, and the game initially kicked my ass.  But after playing regular Castlevania for two entire evenings and a couple of hours on Saturday morning, and getting good to the point where I could no-death it in under fifteen minutes, I knew I had to strike the Vs version while the iron was hot, so to speak...

Makes sense. Congrats on beating it!

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, PII said:

😄

I only knew about the warning beeps because the last time we played this it was a low score contest and you had to let the timer run down after each boss battle to keep your score down. I swear there was enough time left after the Dracula fight to read a magazine.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Member · Posted
Just now, Bearcat-Doug said:

I only knew about the warning beeps because the last time we played this it was a low score contest and you had to let the timer run down after each boss battle to keep your score down. I swear there was enough time left after the Dracula fight to read a magazine.

Man, I've never thought about that, but games that reward time bonuses after bosses are definitely not good choices for low score competitions.  I hope the organizers will remember this, moving forward...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Dr. Morbis said:

Man, I've never thought about that, but games that reward time bonuses after bosses are definitely not good choices for low score competitions.  I hope the organizers will remember this, moving forward...

We used those rules back in 2013. I think this is the first time it has come back up in the weekly contests since then. I'm also guessing that's why the rules were changed to progress this time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Events Team · Posted
42 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Man, I've never thought about that, but games that reward time bonuses after bosses are definitely not good choices for low score competitions.  I hope the organizers will remember this, moving forward...

Any game with a situation like that will be a speed run from now on. Low score competitions don't work in those cases.
That is exactly the reason Castlevania is a speedrun.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Member · Posted
1 hour ago, BeaIank said:

Any game with a situation like that will be a speed run from now on. Low score competitions don't work in those cases.
That is exactly the reason Castlevania is a speedrun.

Out of curiosity, why couldnt this be played as a high score and/or progress + high score for tie breaks? Seems like there would be some strategy in that since points are awarded for speed and other things as well

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Events Team · Posted
7 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

Out of curiosity, why couldnt this be played as a high score and/or progress + high score for tie breaks? Seems like there would be some strategy in that since points are awarded for speed and other things as well

Because it is TOO DAMN EASY to point press in this game. That makes it not fun, since you would have to keep point pressing till you had the exactly seconds needed to kill the bosses.
That is BORING AS HELL!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Member · Posted
3 hours ago, mbd39 said:

I hope more people play. My half-assed submission deserves 6th place at best.

I had the last hour free to try to put you there and ended up one stage shy of you. Its just so easy to make mistakes in this game. And one mistake that doesnt kill you can put you in a monster bind where you are taking hit after hit. Such a goddamn good game though. One life just tough for me. 

@BeaIank, see your point about pressing. Its really too bad it awards for every enemy. If it didnt, holy water strategies could make for really fun scoring contest. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Member · Posted
14 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Well done, @PII  The only one you're competing against is yourself at this point, but A+ on a sub-14 minute run... 🙂

Whew!  What a week!!  Thanx!  You had a fine run yourself.  Watching it contributed to shaving a few more seconds off my own run...

I can only imagine how crazy this would be to have say 20 runners, runnin', recording and posting all week long!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Member · Posted

Congrats to @PII! Hell of a run too from @Dr. Morbisas expected.  Look forward to watching those videos. 

For you too and everyone else who wants to weigh in, what is your special weapon of choice? I like the stopwatch, but Im sure thats any shitty players answer and not for the experts. 

Finally, what is everyone's favorite castlevania game on NES? I could lose sleep debating that. Probably draculas curse, but my first castlevania love was definitely simons quest. It doesnt get enough respect 

Edited by NESfiend
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Member · Posted
2 minutes ago, PII said:

Whew!  What a week!!  Thanx!  You had a fine run yourself.  Watching it contributed to shaving a few more seconds off my own run...

Actually, I timed your 4:02 run up to the second axe knight of level five with my run and they were tied.  The difference is that I played safe (read: stupid) on all of the last four axe knights in level 5 and that drained about 35 seconds.  I have a way faster level 6 than you since you don't get the stopwatch for the hunchbacks, so I feel like if I had played all Saturday and played loose on level five, I could sub-14 no problem, assuming a decent Drac fight.  Which btw, I have a solid strat for getting back double holy water at dracula for the cookie monster fight, but I screwed it up on the one run that ended up being my posted video.

Anyway, you worked the hardest by far, so you definitely deserved the victory.  Well done! 🙂

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Member · Posted
2 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

Finally, what is everyone's favorite castlevania game on NES? I could lose sleep debating that. Probably draculas curse, my first castlevania love was definitely simons quest. It doesnt get enough respect 

Simon's Quest was my first love also.  Dracula's Curse is my Favorite of the three.  I also LOVE Castlevania Overflow Darkness which is a hack so good it's a new game.  And, I'm a huge fan of the largely unsung Ax.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Member · Posted
11 minutes ago, PII said:

I can only imagine how crazy this would be to have say 20 runners, runnin', recording and posting all week long!

If it were like that: the good ol' days of NA before facebook messenger and marketplace and twitter and all that other social medi shit killed my beloved forums, man, I would be putting in way more time and effort into my scores each week than is currently required to hit the podium...

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Member · Posted
2 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

I have a way faster level 6 than you since you don't get the stopwatch for the hunchbacks, so I feel like if I had played all Saturday and played loose on level five, I could sub-14 no problem, assuming a decent Drac fight.  Which btw, I have a solid strat for getting back double holy water at dracula for the cookie monster fight, but I screwed it up on the one run that ended up being my posted video.

I figured that's what you were up to on drac with the boomerang and all.  You're drac fight was kinda intersting but slow.  I had figured that either I'd beat you by a relatively small margin or you'd totally blow me away by utilizing critical hits/insta-kills on bosses.  Maybe I'll change my mind someday, but right now I think those things are really hard to get down...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • The topic was unpinned

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...