IGNORED

2022 VGS NES Weekly Contest - Castlevania!

BeaIank

Events Team · Posted

Prepare your whips, your morning starts and get ready to kick Dracula's butt!
This week we tackle Castlevania. Our mighty vampire slayers will have to show who is the fastest Dracula slayers in the west!

The rules are simple:

• Play till you die the 1st time
  • Take your picture when you die or respawn to show progress
  • If you beat the game, consider recording a video of your run for tie break reasons.
  • Progress win, with lowest time to beat the game as a tie break.
  • Use the maps at https://vgmaps.com/Atlas/NES/index.htm#c to assess progress
  • If you beat the game, stop the timer when you get the orb. You can only play one loop.
  • Participation: Get past the 1st screen of the game
  • Genre: Action

The contest ends Sunday, 08/21/22 at 11 PM VGS time.  Your user name MUST be written or typed on a piece of paper and be in the picture for your score to be valid.  The entire TV screen, or computer monitor if you are playing on an emulator, MUST be in the picture for the score to be valid.  No partial screenshots will be considered or accepted.  No screenshots by hitting "print screen" on a computer will be allowed.  You must take a picture of your computer monitor.  There may be instances where this will be acceptable, but it will be at the discretion of myself and the contest organizers.  Also, the use of turbo controllers is forbidden, as well as any cheat codes, Game Genies, slow motion functions, or save states if playing on an emulator.  Also, we will only be using NTSC systems for the contests.  The use of PAL systems will NOT be allowed.  Good luck everyone and have fun.

• Like 2
  • Wow! 1

Events Team · Posted
1st PII Game beaten - 13:52
2nd Dr. Morbis Game beaten - 14:34
3rd Bearcat-Doug Game beaten - 99:99
4th mbd39 Stage 16 - 99:99
5th NESfiend Stage 15 - 99:99
6th JamesRobot Stage 06 - 99:99
6th Krunch Stage 06 - 99:99
8th the_wizard_666 Stage 05 - 99:99

Just for clarification, since this game goes on forever: @BeaIank I'm assuming  that if we beat the game, we stop the timer when we get the orb that ends the first loop, before the credits and the second loop start?  I really hope this is the case or else there could be some really loooooong play times...

Events Team · Posted
11 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Just for clarification, since this game goes on forever: @BeaIank I'm assuming  that if we beat the game, we stop the timer when we get the orb that ends the first loop, before the credits and the second loop start?  I really hope this is the case or else there could be some really loooooong play times...

Yes, one loop only.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Damn, that was quick!  Good job!  I probably won't have a video up until the weekend...

Maiden Voyage...

Yeah, a little quicker than usual.  I may have played this game a few times before...

Edited by PII

2 hours ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I never cared for those "any %" speedruns anyway. I always thought the players that could run through a game by playing it straight up were more impressive.

Sometimes glitches take a lot of skill to pull off in a speedrun. See Battletoads for example.

1 hour ago, mbd39 said:

Sometimes glitches take a lot of skill to pull off in a speedrun. See Battletoads for example.

I watched the world record Castlevania run a few days ago and the guy was using all kinds of glitches that were tough to pull off. It definitely takes skill, but I just prefer watching glitch free runs where the full game is played. 

1 hour ago, BeaIank said:

Fast boss kills are not glitches and thus acceptable.

I'm okay with your ruling, but I've gotta say, the stair glitch to insta-kill the first boss sure looks like a 100% "glitch" to me.  But I don't think it really matters with the level we're going to be playing at this week.  Speedrunners play games hundreds/thousands of times to get that honed in with their skills, meanwhile here we are bumbling our way through as best we can in a single week...

• Agree 1