IGNORED

Does the envelope trick in Maniac Mansion work in real life?

MDM702

MemberPosted

Anyone who has played the game knows there is a trick where you have to open an envelope without tearing it so you can reuse it later. The idea is that you put a cup of water in the microwave alongside the sealed envelope and the warm steam safely unseals it. Is this possible in real life? And also, you get dimes inside the envelope after opening it. I didn't think that metal items could be used safely in the microwave (unless maybe they're covered?)

Ahem, from an expert on the game, this is bogus.聽 You don't need to unseal the envelope using a cup of tap water in the microwave.聽 You can just 'open' it.聽 Did you watch "You Can Beat Video Games?" haha.聽 This MAY be in the C64 version but I can tell you 100% you don't need to on the NES.聽 How do I know?聽 Well as a kid, when I got the envelope, the most obvious choice is to 'open' envelope.聽 I was still able to use it and send it.聽 After I heard about it, I even went back and tried it to double check and it still worked.

Anyway, don't think too much about the details with metal items in the microwave.聽 First off you don't know whats in it and second its a game.聽

You DO need to steam the stamps on the envelope though.聽 Just dont use the pool water 馃檪

EDIT, also this DOES work in real life, you moisten the glue with steam.聽 I thought this was obvious?

Edited by guitarzombie

MemberPosted

I haven't tried this specific trick, but it sounds pretty realistic to me. At least it takes only a few seconds for you to test yourself? 馃槢

As for the metal in the microwave - the dangers of that has been exaggerated a bit, and you can find quite a few writeups on it out there. What happens is just that the metal will attract a lot of heat much better than anything else in the oven, so in this scenario the coins would just be really hot for a while.

I've accidentally left spoons in my coffee cup while heating it in the past, and absolutely nothing has happened. I'd probably be more worried about things like tinfoil compared to a single solid metal object sharing the space with someone else.聽

As a rule of thumb it's not as dangerous as pop culture makes it sound, but still don't do it.聽

• Disagree 1

MemberPosted
1 hour ago, guitarzombie said:

Ahem, from an expert on the game, this is bogus.聽 You don't need to unseal the envelope using a cup of tap water in the microwave.聽 You can just 'open' it.聽 Did you watch "You Can Beat Video Games?" haha.聽 This MAY be in the C64 version but I can tell you 100% you don't need to on the NES.聽 How do I know?聽 Well as a kid, when I got the envelope, the most obvious choice is to 'open' envelope.聽 I was still able to use it and send it.聽 After I heard about it, I even went back and tried it to double check and it still worked.

Yeah, I just got back to playing the game again after all these years, but it's the DOS version which I got on GOG.com. Played the NES game first as a kid in the late 90's after finding the Nintendo Power issue for it. I knew the game like the back of my hand, loved it to death and played it a ton with every possible combination of characters and ways I could think of, even despite knowing everything through the walkthrough in the issue which introduced me to the game! Thing is, there's a lot of stuff I forgot, and the differences between the NES and PC versions (besides the graphics, obviously) is something I am just figuring out. Still amazing, and possibly the best game on NES in my opinion, alongside Super Mario Bros. 3 (for this gamer anyway!)

But yeah, I figured the trick must have some science to it in real life, though I figured the game exaggerated it a bit.

• Like 1

MemberPosted
3 hours ago, guitarzombie said:

Anyway, don't think too much about the details with metal items in the microwave.聽 First off you don't know whats in it and second its a game.聽

You DO need to steam the stamps on the envelope though.聽 Just dont use the pool water 馃檪

EDIT, also this DOES work in real life, you moisten the glue with steam.聽 I thought this was obvious?

I watched that vid and loved it. Thanks for the info.聽

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Driftwood said:

Irl never ever put metal objects in the microwave.... They do not simply attract more heat. They can create dangerous electrical arcing and WILL cause a fire if left unchecked.... i thought this was common sense.

Hey if Sumez wants to accidentally kill himself for being thick, I say more power to him.

• Eyeroll 1

9 hours ago, MDM702 said:

Yeah, I just got back to playing the game again after all these years, but it's the DOS version which I got on GOG.com. Played the NES game first as a kid in the late 90's after finding the Nintendo Power issue for it. I knew the game like the back of my hand, loved it to death and played it a ton with every possible combination of characters and ways I could think of, even despite knowing everything through the walkthrough in the issue which introduced me to the game! Thing is, there's a lot of stuff I forgot, and the differences between the NES and PC versions (besides the graphics, obviously) is something I am just figuring out. Still amazing, and possibly the best game on NES in my opinion, alongside Super Mario Bros. 3 (for this gamer anyway!)

But yeah, I figured the trick must have some science to it in real life, though I figured the game exaggerated it a bit.

I had that Nintendo Power issue too haha.聽 A friend of mine a few years ago gave me a copy cuz he knew how much I loved the game.聽聽 As far as I know, there arent THAT many differences from PC to NES, its the same code, just with (IMO) better graphics and great music.聽 Its just some suggestive things they removed.聽 The pennant is Weird Eds room, a statue of a naked woman, a cross, some text.聽 Stuff like that, but the game code should be identical.

Did you play the Commodore 64 version and you needed to steam the envelope open in order to not damage it?

MemberPosted
On 8/3/2022 at 5:48 AM, Driftwood said:

Irl never ever put metal objects in the microwave.... They do not simply attract more heat. They can create dangerous electrical arcing and WILL cause a fire if left unchecked.... i thought this was common sense.

I doubt this was actually a spoon. Spoons can鈥檛 catch on fire as the amount of heat required to make solid steel ignite is tremendous. It was probably a small piece of aluminum foil

Edited by phart010
  • Like 1

MemberPosted
14 hours ago, Driftwood said:

if left unchecked

That's a pretty key part of your assertion, imo... Nobody is going to do RH's profit plan by accident.聽Fire can be dangerous too but I still make them to sit around in my small back yard.聽

MemberPosted

Geeze, people are talking about ruining their microwaves with tinfoil and steel wool, that's a pretty different thing from putting a metal coin in there, shielded by an envelope, alongside a glass of water which is perfectly able to absorb the heat, and for a short while too.

I'm not saying it's safe to just put anything metal in there, please stick to the rule of thumb of just keeping it out, I don't want any of you nuts to sue me.

2 hours ago, Sumez said:

Geeze, people are talking about ruining their microwaves with tinfoil and steel wool, that's a pretty different thing from putting a metal coin in there, shielded by an envelope, alongside a glass of water which is perfectly able to absorb the heat, and for a short while too.

I'm not saying it's safe to just put anything metal in there, please stick to the rule of thumb of just keeping it out, I don't want any of you nuts to sue me.

You keep saying absorb heat as if one is a heatsink for another. Thats not at all what happens in a microwave. The actual microwaves are bouncing around the chamber exciting the molecules (particularly water molecules in food) to heat them up. All objects are hit equally, ideally, though position can affect this hence the spinning tray. Being 鈥渟hielded鈥 in an envelope is meaningless, otherwise something like popcorn wouldn鈥檛 work, which also has metal embedded in the bag. Metal has very little in the way of water molecules they are not affected quite the same. Since microwaves are apart of the elctro-magnetic spectrum they 聽affect metal in a number of ways but one way is that they reflect the microwaves (so in theory they could actually repel heat based on your terminology, if the metal object was shaped properly) and the microwaves can induce a electrical charge in the metal, and with something like foil or steel wool with all of its various points of contact, creates arc points for that charge to jump causing heat that way and usually metaling it because its so thin

TLDR one object does act like a heatsink in a microwave and an envelope covering a coin has no affect

Edited by LeatherRebel5150

MemberPosted
11 hours ago, twiztor said:

@Linkbut how did it taste?

Crunchy. Like a fine wine aged in sun with a side of hash browns and bartlett pears. Vintage jacket with notes of amchur, dull cheese and Goldschl盲ger on a circuit board with聽extra capacitors.聽

• Haha 1