IGNORED

Are there multiple Super Mario Bros/Duck Hunt cartridge variants?

RH

I have copies of Super Mario Bros,  Duck Hunt and I have a SMB/Duck Hunt/Track Meet cartridge, but I do not have the classic, SMB/Duck Hunt combo pack-in cartridge and I need to fix that.

However, I noticed on eBay that there appear to be two variants, one with no SOQ and one with it.  I assume these are both legit, but I can't tell for sure.

Are there these both legit?  Are there other variants?  Thanks.

2 hours ago, RH said:

I have copies of Super Mario Bros,  Duck Hunt and I have a SMB/Duck Hunt/Track Meet cartridge, but I do not have the classic, SMB/Duck Hunt combo pack-in cartridge and I need to fix that.

However, I noticed on eBay that there appear to be two variants, one with no SOQ and one with it.  I assume these are both legit, but I can't tell for sure.

Are there these both legit?  Are there other variants?  Thanks.

I know there is a pcb board variant with 4 square shaped glob tops. There’s also regular mask rom versions

• Like 1

2 hours ago, phart010 said:

I know there is a pcb board variant with 4 square shaped glob tops. There’s also regular mask rom versions

There were the mass produced ones most likely included with the version released with the system.  Glob tops are easier to produce quickly.  Had an idiot store owner tell me he threw all of those out because they were 'bootlegged'....

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, guitarzombie said:

There were the mass produced ones most likely included with the version released with the system.  Glob tops are easier to produce quickly.  Had an idiot store owner tell me he threw all of those out because they were 'bootlegged'....

The wildest part is that he opened SMB/DHs to check for fakes...

• Haha 2
  • Agree 1

Paranoid and greedy likely, looking for anything screwy to sell at a ridiculous up charge as rare while also doubling down against fakes, and maybe if he's that bored cleaning things so they have less chance of coming back so called broken because ...stupid. 😛

1 hour ago, DefaultGen said:

The wildest part is that he opened SMB/DHs to check for fakes...

Which was BS because my friend opened a game there and not only was it not cleaned but there was a bag of weed in there.  No joking.  They had the shittiest condition games out of any store and they were in an area that did NO business.  They totally could have cleaned them.  His argument was the Pokemon fakes, cuz they're glob.  Also made for the same reason but the SMB/DH's are professional, smooth and square epoxy, while the Pokemon fakes look like frozen toothpaste. 

26 minutes ago, Code Monkey said:

Did somebody say variants? Nobody paged me.

3 cartridge variants:

IMG_20220727_181840.jpg.80b5675511e1b0b6a9d3c1a2fe16ed68.jpg

Lots of manual variants:

IMG_20220727_182009.jpg.9338f389117d520c48fdc5a0211fa1ef.jpg

Whats the difference between the first and third cart? I bet discussing manual variants would be a good idea for a video, as I doubt its discussed regularly and may draw some views

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/27/2022 at 7:36 PM, Code Monkey said:

-CAN code and -USA code

That doesn't really count as a "variant" for the US NES set, which is what the OP was almost certainly asking.  There are many, many different country code variants for NES games around the world, but there are only two major label variants for the -USA region...

Edited by Dr. Morbis

12 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

That doesn't really count as a "variant" for the US NES set, which is what the OP was almost certainly asking.  There are many, many different country code variants for NES games around the world, but there are only two major label variants for the -USA region...

I thought so too. 

18 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

He wasn't that specific. When I ask about variants, I don't want people limiting their answers to one region.

1 hour ago, ThePhleo said:

If one there is the Canadian code then you're forgetting about the -USA Oval®

There's, No Seal of Quality, Oval™, then Oval® all in USA.

When you say “no seal”, Are you referring to the non“white stripe” standard cart? Or is there a “white stripe” cart that also has no seal of quality.