IGNORED

2022 VGS NES Weekly Contest - Donkey Kong!

BeaIank

17 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

We played game A last time. This seems a lot harder. I have screwed around and got nowhere.

@Dr. Morbis, your strategy is right, or at least was if you got to level 7 early. You dont get any better "point scumming." Takes too much time to get anywhere. But it is more fun!

I just had a game where I got to level 9 and had just under 200k, but I didn't bother taking a picture since I know I can do better.  I also tried point scumming on the early barrel levels and it feels like a waste of time since the barrels don't come along fast enough to keep up with the bonus clock ticking away, so it feels like a whole lot of time and work for maybe a couple hundred extra points.  If I can get consistent at making it to level 6+, then it'll probably become worthwhile, but anyone who's spending hours picking up extra points on the early barrel levels, you can have them!

Edited by Dr. Morbis

5 hours ago, NESfiend said:

We played game A last time. This seems a lot harder. I have screwed around and got nowhere.

@Dr. Morbis, your strategy is right, or at least was if you got to level 7 early. You dont get any better "point scumming." Takes too much time to get anywhere. But it is more fun!

It's a good thing you pointed out we're playing game B. I didn't even notice that in the rules.

6 hours ago, mbd39 said:

I'm terrible at DK. Somehow I got 217k when we played this last time.

I must be really rusty this week because it isn't happening.

https://www.videogamesage.com/forums/topic/3696-vgs-weekly-contest-donkey-kong/

I think I could beat my old score, but I'll probably just stick with what I've got unless I get some extra time over the weekend.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Just making sure you realize this contest is for Game B, and not Game A like the last one.  Either way, you're a great DK player... 🙂

I played on Game B, but I lost a life before Level 9 and didn't have very good luck with the barrel drops. When we played last time on Game A and broke 600k, I got in as close to an ideal attempt as possible. That's why I think it could be possible to push 700k on Game B if everything goes right.

On 7/13/2022 at 11:36 PM, Dr. Morbis said:

I know it's only Wednesday, but I honestly think Doug's score might already be safe this week.  If this was NA ten years ago and there were like 25 dudes competing, hell no, but the way things are currently, that's probably a top 2 score at worst...

I hope my score is safe since I haven't played since I posted it. It does seem like things have been pretty quiet around here this season. 

3 hours ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I hope my score is safe since I haven't played since I posted it. It does seem like things have been pretty quiet around here this season. 

Yeah, real quiet except for PII going balls to the wall on every single game.  I guess everyone else in the world is out there enjoying the end of covid...

1 hour ago, RH said:

@BeaIank If this ever comes back for a future competition, you need to do a progress+lowest score competition, ending at loop A like this competition.

I think that could be an interesting take on the experience.

I was thinking the same thing. It would drastically cut down on the time an attempt takes by eliminating the tedious barrel jumping.

3 hours ago, mbd39 said:

Or just make barrel glitch against the rules next time.

Low score seems easier to me. Like @RH mentioned, someone could accidentally do it and have to start completely over instead of just being stuck with the extra points. It also takes out the potentially tedious aspect of needing to use the hammers on the barrels/fireballs for each loop to get more points.

On 7/11/2022 at 9:50 PM, NESfiend said:

I guess L doesnt stand for level, its loop. If anyone is curious for purposes of guestimating the max, I died on L4 barrel stage. You can really only point rack the barrel stages. I bet we see a couple 500k scores, but dougs 700k guess seems high if you ask me. I had some good rng and played very well to that stage. Life burning the right spots could be big though. 

It looks like my guess of 700k was a bit high after all. I probably could have hit 650k with a few better barrel drops at the end than I got though. I finished up my Ken Griffey Jr's Winning Run season with a World Series win, so I might give it another go tomorrow.

11 hours ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

Low score seems easier to me. Like @RH mentioned, someone could accidentally do it and have to start completely over instead of just being stuck with the extra points. It also takes out the potentially tedious aspect of needing to use the hammers on the barrels/fireballs for each loop to get more points.

As someone who absolutely hates the concept of "point-pressing" or point scumming, as I like to call it, I would have actually preferred something like furthest progress on one life for a competition like this.  I think that takes way more real skill, and the game would show you exactly what level you're on relative to the start for like 35 levels (1 to 9 followed by A to Z), so no worries about not knowing how far your made it.

Long story short, your score is safe from me, as I refuse to play DK the ridiculous way you have to play it to get a massively inflated score by Level A.  So unless someone comes out of the woodwork at the eleventh hour, you're getting first, PII's getting second and I'm getting third...

4 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

As someone who absolutely hates the concept of "point-pressing" or point scumming, as I like to call it, I would have actually preferred something like furthest progress on one life for a competition like this.  I think that takes way more real skill, and the game would show you exactly what level you're on relative to the start for like 35 levels (1 to 9 followed by A to Z), so no worries about not knowing how far your made it.

Long story short, your score is safe from me, as I refuse to play DK the ridiculous way you have to play it to get a massively inflated score by Level A.  So unless someone comes out of the woodwork at the eleventh hour, you're getting first, PII's getting second and I'm getting third...

I don't care for point pressing either. I typically prefer anything that lets you play as close to what you would do normally. 

Just now, PII said:

Is it possible to physically fight with Brutus in any of the ports?  Or was that only in the original Arcade Version?

You can only slug him after getting the spinach in all of the ports I've played. You can also drop the bucket on his head in some ports such as NES. It's the same for the arcade, right?

11 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

You can only slug him after getting the spinach in all of the ports I've played. You can also drop the bucket on his head in some ports such as NES. It's the same for the arcade, right?

Honestly, I'm really not sure.  I know about the spinach and the bucket, but I also remember being told that you could get into a direct no spinach, albeit very dangerous, punching bout with him and maybe it was just in the arcade version that it was like that.  I don't think I've ever actually played the arcade machine though.  Anyway that just popped into my head so I thought I'd throw it out there..