IGNORED

2022 VGS NES Weekly Contest - Donkey Kong!

BeaIank

Events Team · Posted

Ladies and gentlemen, prepare your plumbling tools, wear your jeans overalls and get ready to save a famous Jazz singer!
Here's the rules for this week:

• You may play with “Black Box” Donkey Kong or Donkey Kong Classics
  • Choose 1 Player Game B
  • Play until Game Over or till you reach Level A
  • Once you reach Level A, pause the game immediately and take your picture
  • To get your score, start a new game and take your picture.  Your score will be in the “Top Score” spot.
    Try to pause the game immediately once you lost your last life and take your picture then. This way, we can see on what level you made your score, which is quite useful if someone roll the score.
  • If you roll the score, take a picture right before you roll it and right after you roll it.  This must be done for each subsequent rolling of the score.
  • The barrel/jump/ladder trick is allowed!
  • Highest score wins
  • GENRE: Arcade

The contest ends Sunday, 07/17/22 at 11 PM VGS time.  Your user name MUST be written or typed on a piece of paper and be in the picture for your score to be valid.  The entire TV screen, or computer monitor if you are playing on an emulator, MUST be in the picture for the score to be valid.  No partial screenshots will be considered or accepted.  No screenshots by hitting "print screen" on a computer will be allowed.  You must take a picture of your computer monitor.  There may be instances where this will be acceptable, but it will be at the discretion of myself and the contest organizers.  Also, the use of turbo controllers is forbidden, as well as any cheat codes, Game Genies, slow motion functions, or save states if playing on an emulator.  Also, we will only be using NTSC systems for the contests.  The use of PAL systems will NOT be allowed.  Good luck everyone and have fun.

44 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

May be a participation week for me.  Will have to work a lot of nights this week. Not likely I have it in me to relearn the barrel/ladder technique and get competitive with what else I got going on. Ill be rooting for you though!

Since we are stopping on Level A, that should help me get a few runs in this week. I might just post one for fun and see if I get time to work on my score after that.

Edited by Bearcat-Doug

20220711_014712.thumb.jpg.781ce2e824da0f47ef36f4994fc71892.jpg

Man, it took me like an hour to manage to beat the first loop.  Oddly enough, I did the second loop on one attempt.  Still, I stink at this...if I can push it much higher I'll be shocked, but at least the game is fun enough to be worth the attempt.

Edited by the_wizard_666
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, NESfiend said:

May be a participation week for me.  Will have to work a lot of nights this week. Not likely I have it in me to relearn the barrel/ladder technique and get competitive with what else I got going on. Ill be rooting for you though!

I need to get my timing down on the springs on the second screen. They hit their top speed a loop or two earlier on Game B which makes it a bit easier.

2 hours ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I need to get my timing down on the springs on the second screen. They hit their top speed a loop or two earlier on Game B which makes it a bit easier.

Ended up playing a couple games last night because I didnt feel like working. I got the barrel jump trick no problem, but I couldn't get passed the spring on the second elevator stage to save my life. Ive always been shitty at that, but I thought I could get 3 or 4 elevator stages in at least before it became an issue. I guess its harder because its game b?

3 hours ago, NESfiend said:

Ended up playing a couple games last night because I didnt feel like working. I got the barrel jump trick no problem, but I couldn't get passed the spring on the second elevator stage to save my life. Ive always been shitty at that, but I thought I could get 3 or 4 elevator stages in at least before it became an issue. I guess its harder because its game b?

The speed on the springs does max out earlier on Game B. I got a quick run in, but I tried to make it to Level A on 1 life and didn't bother point pressing. I almost did it, but I got trapped by fireballs and lost a life on the third section of Level 8.

Edited by Bearcat-Doug

1 hour ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

The speed on the springs does max out earlier on Game B. I got a quick run in, but I tried to make it to Level A on 1 life and didn't bother point pressing. I almost did it, but I got trapped by fireballs and lost a life on the third section of Level 8.

Guessing based on your score, this is a much shorter contest than last time? I think I finished 10th or 11th with like 190k and Im no dk champ. 

If level A = level 10, thats awesome. Great rule set for the working dad @BeaIank

Edited by NESfiend

2 hours ago, NESfiend said:

Guessing based on your score, this is a much shorter contest than last time? I think I finished 10th or 11th with like 190k and Im no dk champ. 

If level A = level 10, thats awesome. Great rule set for the working dad @BeaIank

I didn't do any barrel hopping and had two lives to burn so my score is pretty low. I just played straight to get a score in early. This is a pure guess, but you could probably hit 700k+ by using all of your lives and the ladder trick. 

• Like 1

I guess L doesnt stand for level, its loop. If anyone is curious for purposes of guestimating the max, I died on L4 barrel stage. You can really only point rack the barrel stages. I bet we see a couple 500k scores, but dougs 700k guess seems high if you ask me. I had some good rng and played very well to that stage. Life burning the right spots could be big though. 

12 hours ago, NESfiend said:

I guess L doesnt stand for level, its loop. If anyone is curious for purposes of guestimating the max, I died on L4 barrel stage. You can really only point rack the barrel stages. I bet we see a couple 500k scores, but dougs 700k guess seems high if you ask me. I had some good rng and played very well to that stage. Life burning the right spots could be big though. 

The timer increases as you go on although I'm not sure of the exact loop it maxes out on. I honestly don't know if my guess is high or not. I got 205k just playing straight. If you use the ladder trick on every level and make it to the Level 9 barrel stage with all of your lives to burn, 700k doesn't seem impossible. Of course, the only way to find out for sure is to do it even though there is still going to be a variance depending on how favorable the barrel drops are during the run.

Edited by Bearcat-Doug

On 7/11/2022 at 9:50 PM, NESfiend said:

I've got a real score posted now, but I lost a life before the last loop so I didn't get as high as I could have. I'm going to say over 650k is possible if you get to Level 9 with all of your lives to burn, plus have some luck with the barrel drops.

3 hours ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I've got a real score posted now, but I lost a life before the last loop so I didn't get as high as I could have. I'm going to say over 650k is possible if you get to Level 9 with all of your lives to burn, plus have some luck with the barrel drops.

Crazy score. Ive played some more, but I suck. I need to just play through the game and learn and quit hopping barrels. But I am losing interest faster than I thought I would. I hate the elevator stage endings. They make me rage quit. And even with practice, I dont see touching that monster score and Im sure there will be 4-5 others with big ones. Smart moneys on doug, but I could see @Dr. Morbisbeing a donkey kong savant. 

43 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

Crazy score. Ive played some more, but I suck. I need to just play through the game and learn and quit hopping barrels. But I am losing interest faster than I thought I would. I hate the elevator stage endings. They make me rage quit. And even with practice, I dont see touching that monster score and Im sure there will be 4-5 others with big ones. Smart moneys on doug, but I could see @Dr. Morbisbeing a donkey kong savant. 

I'm no DK savant, trust me.   I haven't had much time to play, but I'm also having major difficulty with those damn bouncing springs.  I haven't even tried point scumming yet because I want to get to Level A, but I may just have to start playing for score.

I know it's only Wednesday, but I honestly think Doug's score might already be safe this week.  If this was NA ten years ago and there were like 25 dudes competing, hell no, but the way things are currently, that's probably a top 2 score at worst...

34 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

I'm terrible at DK. Somehow I got 217k when we played this last time.

I must be really rusty this week because it isn't happening.

https://www.videogamesage.com/forums/topic/3696-vgs-weekly-contest-donkey-kong/

We played game A last time. This seems a lot harder. I have screwed around and got nowhere.

@Dr. Morbis, your strategy is right, or at least was if you got to level 7 early. You dont get any better "point scumming." Takes too much time to get anywhere. But it is more fun!