IGNORED

VGS Atari High Scores

G-type

Graphics Team · Posted

Beany Bopper - 100,680 [1/b]

I've been hooked on this game all week trying to roll the score - and tonight I finally managed to break 100k.

20th Century Fox has some really solid 2600 titles - they don't get the recognition they deserve.

-CasualCart

image.jpeg.91688add75448385bb2a37360b9b7a45.jpeg

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...
Graphics Team · Posted

Skiing - 28.17 seconds [3/b]

I just earned a new Activision patch today (sub-28.2 seconds)!!!
I tend to love Activision's "time trial" games, and earning the patch for this one wasn't as difficult as Barnstorming or Sky Jinks (assuming Difficulty B qualifies).

-CasualCart

image.jpeg.b4f7763b411ca54a2d0ec0d0e78dd6c3.jpeg

• Like 2

First New Patch Challenge for 2023:

il_fullxfull.3201736597_8eek.jpg

Flash Gordon:  To earn: score +100,000 ( game 1/b)

A few notes on how to play this game: This almost like 2 games in 1.. space shooter on the upper screen, and on the bottom screen its a maze game, You are the small dash, move around the maze avoiding the plus signs (the Disruptors), while trying to clear all the dots (hatching pods), to clear them, you have to shoot all the spider warriors when they appear on the upper screen. If a disruptor catches you, a debris field appears on the upper screen... dodge the debris and run away from the disruptor... don't stand and fight. Try to maintain shields as much as possible (by killing 5 spider warriors)... while your shields are up you can just crash into enemies to destroy them.

• Like 1

Graphics Team · Posted

Flash Gordon - 102,680 [1/b]

@G-type great idea for a patch challenge with this one! Flash Gordon is one of my favorite 2600 games, but I've never had a score-incentive to shoot for.

You wouldn't think a maze-game and a free-roaming shooter could be combined so successfully, but somehow 20th Century Fox really made it work here.

-CasualCart

image.jpeg.148974bc4adf3189af43565688c71926.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Love 1

49 minutes ago, CasualCart said:

great idea for a patch challenge with this one! Flash Gordon is one of my favorite 2600 games, but I've never had a score-incentive to shoot for.

thanks! I always loved the Activision patch challenges, and wished every game had something like that. The question is what to set the score at. I hope I didn't make it too easy for you... (it certainly isn't for me!)

• Agree 1

• 4 weeks later...
Graphics Team · Posted

Deadly Duck - 114,630 [1/b]

I've spent the last week slowly improving at this game, and today I finally broke 100k to roll the score!

It took 1 1/2 hours of uninterrupted brick-dodging and crab-shooting to make it happen (no pausing in Atari games), but it was worth it!

-CasualCart

image.jpeg.5dd2a51419078f3c7a8d45c5c4bf02b9.jpeg

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

cryst1.jpg.80cb10780cd6cc0a115b91fc3be25ba3.jpg

I still got a long way to go.

I have Crystal Castles on my Arcade1up cabinet and played it with the trackball. Playing it here with the joystick (or keyboard) takes some getting used to. Being familiar with the arcade version, makes this port all the more impressive. They manage to include SO many elements of the original, the enemies, the music and sound effects, they even managed to keep the isometric mazes! Its a little tricky to line up your aim to hit the dashes (gems) sometimes, but overall I'm really impressed.

• 2 weeks later...

Roc'n'rope is kind of like Donkey Kong in some ways: You got to reach the top of a platform (you're trying to get to a bird instead of rescue a girl). You have moments of vulnerability that you have to time correctly, by avoiding unpredictable hazards... in this case its traversing a rope and avoiding cavemen and dinosaurs instead of climbing a ladder and dodging barrels. (The ladders in this game are non-functional). You also have temporary invincibility powerups: an egg instead of a hammer.

Tip: if a caveman shakes your rope, you can ride it out by holding still, but a dinosaur will just chew through it.

On 5/8/2022 at 12:00 PM, G-type said:

Time to earn some Activision patches:

spacer.pngHERO: 75,000

spacer.pngKaBoom: 3,000

spacer.pngPrivate Eye: Solve Case 3

spacer.pngPrivate Eye: Solve Case 5

I should post here more often.  I haven't played Roc n Rope much, but here's my highest Kaboom score ever (I think)

image.jpeg.9a6c36e85168cd385c5d0c63b2c5bc5d.jpeg

• Like 1