IGNORED

Save the Earth! (Independence Day!)

Jeevan

Events Helper · Posted

JGBLyHs.jpg

The apocalypse is now, and only you can stop the invading renegade machines and mutants—with your deadly farts! Herd enemies, dodge bullets, and set off explosive chain reactions in this fast-paced dual stick arcade game. Can you save the world? Can you beat that last high score?

Who farted? You did! You’re Daisy Duke the cow, and it’s up to you alone to save the world from renegade machines and mutants, with your explosive methane-infused flatulence! You made the cheese, now it’s time to cut it.

Let's do it VGS!  Let's save the world with this fun little game!  

It costs $.99 to download from steam, the only platform, and you can with prizes!!!!!

Download here:  https://store.steampowered.com/app/982390/Boom_Boom_Bovine/

Rules:  

Start on level 1 and play till game over or you beat the game!  

Take a screenshot/pic of the high score on the menu screen!

Post scores by July 10, 2022 at 10PM EST to participate!

That's it, highest score wins!  

Prizes:

1st place:  $25 gift card of your choice/cash equivalent

2nd place:  $20 gift card of your choice/cash equivalent

3rd place:  $15  gift card of your choice/cash equivalent

So, with that.....

185eb9fc-5d90-4bf9-bd09-5b39d67fb511_tex

• Like 1

So, eh… I saw this title but didn’t pay attention. I now see it’s a competition.

I might have tried but I didn’t know it even was one because I simply troll a “Recent Posts” page of VGS, so I didn’t notice the forum it was in. I assume many others might be in that category.

I’m not throwing shade but next time if you put “Site Contest” in the title, it might get more attention.

• Like 1

Events Team · Posted
4 minutes ago, RH said:

So, eh… I saw this title but didn’t pay attention. I now see it’s a competition.

I might have tried but I didn’t know it even was one because I simply troll a “Recent Posts” page of VGS, so I didn’t notice the forum it was in. I assume many others might be in that category.

I’m not throwing shade but next time if you put “Site Contest” in the title, it might get more attention.

It was along the top of the site in the banner for awhile, although it looks like it isn't any more. I do agree in the future, making clear that it's a contest of this sort in the title might be good though.

1 hour ago, RH said:

Agreed on the title suggestion. I also just read through Recent Posts and don't actually go to each specific category on the forum, that's so early 2000's 😄

I also ignore most of those banners because they feel like a pop up ad to me haha. 

Congratulations ZF for the win. Do you get 1st, 2nd and 3rd prize for being the only contender? 🤣

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

Events Helper · Posted
6 hours ago, RH said:

The st. Patrick's day was labeled a contest and only @FireHazard51 played it.  

6 hours ago, ZeldaFreak said:

It was along the top of the site in the banner for awhile, although it looks like it isn't any more. I do agree in the future, making clear that it's a contest of this sort in the title might be good though.

it was posted near a holiday and pinned......by me......surely we can put 2 and 2 together, but I will be obvious next time......

5 hours ago, Brickman said:

Agreed on the title suggestion. I also just read through Recent Posts and don't actually go to each specific category on the forum, that's so early 2000's 😄

I also ignore most of those banners because they feel like a pop up ad to me haha. 

Congratulations ZF for the win. Do you get 1st, 2nd and 3rd prize for being the only contender? 🤣

banners are important!  click them from now on.  did u know there is a tournament being held?  lots of prizes there too.  these pop-ups aren't bad, they will not infect your computer!!  click them!

5 hours ago, ZeldaFreak said:

I mean I wasn't gonna say anything, but... 😆

no.  I will do what I did with firehazard though and give u more than top prize to reward you a bit more.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Jeevan said:

banners are important!  click them from now on.  did u know there is a tournament being held?  lots of prizes there too.  these pop-ups aren't bad, they will not infect your computer!!  click them!

Lies! I clicked an ad and now Gloves has all my banking and credit card info 🤣 ok ok I’ll start reading them. 

• Haha 1

Regarding banners, I’m with Brickman, they often get lost and ignored.  Also, I think at one point there were two or three stacked and one might get my attention but two is too much.

I am aware of the Super Tilt Bros contest but I didn’t enter that one because I knew I’d be last and scheduling one-on-one time like that with me would have been difficult.  I do like the idea of that one, though.

I have no excuse for the St. Patty’s day one.  I’m not sure why I missed it unless it was another Steam game that cost something.  If it was more than $1, I probably passed, assuming there’d be more players and I wouldn’t win. I guess I need to start paying more attention beyond just when the post is first made.

Events Helper · Posted
7 minutes ago, RH said:

Regarding banners, I’m with Brickman, they often get lost and ignored.  Also, I think at one point there were two or three stacked and one might get my attention but two is too much.

I am aware of the Super Tilt Bros contest but I didn’t enter that one because I knew I’d be last and scheduling one-on-one time like that with me would have been difficult.  I do like the idea of that one, though.

I have no excuse for the St. Patty’s day one.  I’m not sure why I missed it unless it was another Steam game that cost something.  If it was more than $1, I probably passed, assuming there’d be more players and I wouldn’t win. I guess I need to start paying more attention beyond just when the post is first made.

fair, it did cost 3 bux, but it is a fun platformer, I suggest looking it up.

35 minutes ago, Jeevan said:

fair, it did cost 3 bux, but it is a fun platformer, I suggest looking it up.

Ah, then that's why.  I don't use Steam, either.  I kind of just stick to console games.  I mean, half the time I do play the NES competitions on an emulator BUT, I am looking to get an Everdrive so I can nix that.  Other than that, yeah, I just don't game on PC much (but that's not your fault.)

Edited by RH

Events Helper · Posted
11 minutes ago, RH said:

Ah, then that's why.  I don't use Steam, either.  I kind of just stick to console games.  I mean, half the time I do play the NES competitions on an emulator BUT, I am looking to get an Everdrive so I can nix that.  Other than that, yeah, I just don't game on PC much (but that's not your fault.)

it's on switch too, although I wanted to be fair and said steam only, maybe next year on switch 😉

• Like 1

Obviously there are a wide range of gamers on here, so I can understand to not want to continually appeal to the same, single "old fart" demographic around here that love to game for the NES/SNES/Genesis.  I mean, we all like a lot of types of games on here, but I bet you could reasonably argue that for 80% of us on the site, our gaming focus is on the games (or software made for consoles) form the 80s-90s.

I mention that because what's likely to get my personal attention is a free/cheap game that is retro, or definitely something emulated.  I remember the Christmas competition (which I think I took second place on!) was for one of the Xmas titles.  That was fun and I think participation was high!  Maybe it's personal bias, but that might have been because it was both free and an NES title?

Maybe it's worth a poll, or maybe even make a Google survey.  I think most people around here would love these competitions but if they aren't jelling with people, there's got to be a reason.  I mean, in regards to the St. Patty's day one, I probably read the rules/details, it just wasn't something I wanted to do (again for me it was the $3 price point of entry) and then I moved on.  I'm not saying being cheap is the answer, but for whatever reason, I'd assume many users probably do the same where they read the OP and for one reason or another, they decide that competition isn't for them.

If we want better participation, we may just need to ask and find out what the people want?  That, or maybe people don't like competitions with free money.  Wut?!

4 minutes ago, Jeevan said:

I'm gonna try to get a list of all participants lined up from past contests and ping you all when a new one comes out.  probably would help since u all apparently hate adverts 😆 @Brickman

Lol, that might help too.  But see my last post.  Especially the bit about seeing the OPs and then walking away.  I'm not prone to participate in a competition if I feel like I don't have a chance at doing ok (again, the NES competitions are an exception.) That means if I see a competition post and then never go back to it, then I might not see that only one or two people signed up, making a second or third entrant a guaranteed winner.

But even then, there are some people that like to post their scores at the 11th hour, so even if you join at the end, you might be bumped off the podium.

I mean, again, this is my personal experience, but these are all real thoughts that might get people to shy away.  I don't know really, but I am trying to be helpful.  When I do participate, I enjoy these competitions.  I just don't want to see them go away, even if I participate in 1 out of 5, and I'd like to see community interest increase too.

Maybe only post something like 2 a year but increase the winnings?  I don't know, I'm just spitballing.

Events Helper · Posted
55 minutes ago, RH said:

Lol, that might help too.  But see my last post.  Especially the bit about seeing the OPs and then walking away.  I'm not prone to participate in a competition if I feel like I don't have a chance at doing ok (again, the NES competitions are an exception.) That means if I see a competition post and then never go back to it, then I might not see that only one or two people signed up, making a second or third entrant a guaranteed winner.

But even then, there are some people that like to post their scores at the 11th hour, so even if you join at the end, you might be bumped off the podium.

I mean, again, this is my personal experience, but these are all real thoughts that might get people to shy away.  I don't know really, but I am trying to be helpful.  When I do participate, I enjoy these competitions.  I just don't want to see them go away, even if I participate in 1 out of 5, and I'd like to see community interest increase too.

Maybe only post something like 2 a year but increase the winnings?  I don't know, I'm just spitballing.

good feedback, and as u can see I'm trying to vary up the games so it's not like all nes.  

I was tasked with doing contests around major holidays, so u will see 5-8 a year depending, and some are raffles.  a lot of them are actual contests, but I have had at least 1 raffle, and another where I raffled off nintendo bux as well as top prizes.

Long and the short of it, I will continue to do these, hopefully participation ups, and if u have any feedback, by all means pm me or post thoughts somewhere.  

• Like 1

Events Team · Posted
13 hours ago, Jeevan said:

no.  I will do what I did with firehazard though and give u more than top prize to reward you a bit more.

Haha, yeah I know, I was jokin', that's fair. Just PM me when you get the chance, we recently upgraded our phones so we may use the money to get some new phone cases for us.

Social Team · Posted
23 hours ago, ZeldaFreak said:

I'm gonna be very surprised if I'm literally the only person to post a score, but I mean, there's less than a minute left so...

American Crime Story Reaction GIF by FX Networks

I was totally planning on pulling another St. Paddy's Day move and be the winner by default.  I bought the game and everything but the weekend got away from me.

@JeevanIn the past holiday events I believe the Sage had dressed for the occasion which drew attention.  Not sure if the banner linked to the holiday contest.  But I do agree, the notices are a little too muted to notice.  It was only like the day after the 4th I thought "Fuck!  I bet VGS did a contents" and then looked for a banner notice and found it.  

Discord ping would be helpful.  Pretty sure most would not like a site wide DM to grab their attention.  @Glovesis there like a "notify me of contest" option that we can use.  It is sad that we've had poor participation in the contests that were thought out pretty damn well.  Not sure if the price of entry is THAT big of a deal.  I DO like the old ones where were ROM/cart based.  Hell I think you guys even provided a link to play the Atari game via web browser.  Basically I think a few things have change so it's hard to pin which ones are the biggest issues.  I'd like to see more people participate for sure.  Even if this means I don't get the easy money win 😏

• Like 1

Events Helper · Posted
14 minutes ago, FireHazard51 said:

I was totally planning on pulling another St. Paddy's Day move and be the winner by default.  I bought the game and everything but the weekend got away from me.

@JeevanIn the past holiday events I believe the Sage had dressed for the occasion which drew attention.  Not sure if the banner linked to the holiday contest.  But I do agree, the notices are a little too muted to notice.  It was only like the day after the 4th I thought "Fuck!  I bet VGS did a contents" and then looked for a banner notice and found it.  

Discord ping would be helpful.  Pretty sure most would not like a site wide DM to grab their attention.  @Glovesis there like a "notify me of contest" option that we can use.  It is sad that we've had poor participation in the contests that were thought out pretty damn well.  Not sure if the price of entry is THAT big of a deal.  I DO like the old ones where were ROM/cart based.  Hell I think you guys even provided a link to play the Atari game via web browser.  Basically I think a few things have change so it's hard to pin which ones are the biggest issues.  I'd like to see more people participate for sure.  Even if this means I don't get the easy money win 😏

Thanks for the feedback.  I guess maybe following me might be a way to see stuff i do?  Maybe there is a way to follow certain tags, idk.........something to think about and see what all can happen etc.  One thing that I try to do is mix in free and low cost games, free being rom/newgrounds/website etc.  I don't wanna limit it to this, and may think about newer gen type stuff, like st. patty's day with the Leprechaun game.  Anyway, i don't wanna stick to the same ole' same ole' so to speak as we have contests for that, BUT that isn't to say that it won't happen from time to time.  I hope to mix in more bingo-esque stuff as well.

• Like 1

Events Team · Posted
20 minutes ago, FireHazard51 said:

Hahaha, we're friends on Steam so I saw that you bought it, figured I would have some competition.

• Haha 1