IGNORED

Which games are made better or worse by 100% completion?

Lynda Monica

Editorials Team · Posted
23 hours ago, Br81zad said:

Has anyone here ever tried to 100% a GTA game. I was going to stipulate 3 or higher, but even the PS1 titles would be brutal to try for 100%.

I was maybe 3-4 hidden packages away from doing it with 3.  All on my own.  Never could find those last few though.

5 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

I was maybe 3-4 hidden packages away from doing it with 3.  All on my own.  Never could find those last few though.

Finding hidden items like that is fun, but honestly, without ever referring to a list, it's almost impossible to find all of them. GTA V has one where you have to destroy some scanners. I tried doing these 100% legit, but I got to a certain point where it just drives you nuts and flying around endlessly takes way too much effort. Even doing a Youtube walkthrough for them takes a decent amount of time to do.

6 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

That's pretty damn close. All the rampages and side missions done too? Pay phones, taxi, ambulance, fire, police, etc?

I think the closest I ever got was with Vice City. Love that game 

I'm interested to see that there are many people who don't like 100% at all. I've always enjoyed at least attempting 100% in games, though I tend to mostly play Nintendo games. I never really considered the scale of a 100% playthrough in an open world game like the modern Batman or GTA games. I can see how that would be really hard.

Since I haven't added anything in a while, I'll mention one more.

Game Improved by 100%: Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire

In Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire they introduced "Trainer Stars" to add to your trainer card. (Basically your player ID)

By completing significant tasks, you can add a Trainer Star to your card, and change its colour. While Trainer Stars became less prevalent after Black/White 2, and were removed entirely in Sword/Shield, they were an awesome way of rewarding dedicated players for experiencing everything. In later games the Pokemon Center nurse would even treat you with more respect if you had a lot of Trainer Stars, rewarding dedicated players.

In Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire the Trainer Star goals weren't quite so insane, and they were fun to go for. To get a gold Trainer Card with four stars you had to do the following.

• Enter the Hall of Fame
  • Complete the Hoenn Dex (All 200 Pokemon that were available in Ruby/Sapphire)
  • Complete all Pokemon Contests on Master Rank, and hang five paintings in the art gallery
  • Win 50 consecutive battles in the Battle Tower

Not only did I accomplish this, but I went above and beyond. I got all the other generation 3 games and finished the National Dex, (Which is no easy task in generation 3) and I did what I thought was impossible and beat 100 consecutive battles in the Battle Tower and obtained the Gold Shield decoration for my secret base.

I did absolutely everything there was to do in Ruby/Sapphire, and I think extremely highly of those games as a result.

Editorials Team · Posted

For me it's all about priorities.  I finished the final Shovel Knight campaign last night (King of Cards).  Absolutely loved every minute of it.  Would have a good time going back and finishing the last few stray levels, and completing the card deck, getting the last few pickups...

Or

I could spend those 10 hours playing through another game on my backlog.  Let's say Hyper Light Drifter.  Because that then clears up space to play another game I haven't gotten to.

The amount of time I have to game for the rest of my life is very finite, so there is always an opportunity cost.

• Like 1