IGNORED

What Games Do You Give A 10/10?

8 hours ago, a3quit4s said:

You know I completely suck at actually playing my games. This is 200x more accurate for my N64 collection lol

haha I hear ya, I'm much the same some (if not many) ways. But I gotta say, if you like killin' big bad bugs, Body Harvest is great, and even if it's not specifically somebody's usual thing, I think it's a great 3D roaming combat time travel game that more people should know about. Reminds  me of Metroid 1 and Prime, and BloodRayne. 

• Like 1

10 Perfect 10s:

Legend of Zelda (NES). yes, i know that it's cryptic and vague and doesn't help you out AT ALL but it 100% informed my opinion on video games. it's mysterious nature made me want to play more and more and discover all of the secrets. my favorite game of all time. easy vote here.

Super Mario Bros. 3 (NES). best platformer of all time. 'nuff said.

Mortal Kombat II (arcade/SNES/Genesis). a fighting game that has a great mix of interesting characters, unique abilities, and blood. pretty well balanced overall, but if you choose Liu Kang i will murder you.

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PSX). a game that draws you in. Perfect mix of challenge, maze/exploration, abilities, and lore. 

Goldeneye 007 (n64). the game that really kickstarted the FPS multiplayer genre. the epitome of chaotic fun. 

NBA Hangtime (n64) / NBA Jam (arcade). essentially the same game, but i've played the n64 version way more, so it gets top billing. such a great sports game (and you can rarely say that!) between the hidden characters, the fast paced action, and the BOOM-SHAKALAKA, you couldn't ask for more.

Diablo II (PC). the absolute epitome of the hack 'n' slash genre. easily the game/series i've spent the most time with overall. there is no better feeling for me than mixing a drink, sitting back, and decimating demons for 6, 8, 10, even 12 hours.

Gauntlet: Dark Legacy (GCN/PS2). a toned down version of the Diablo series, this is a more arcady look at the genre, but at this point has really distilled down what works into a masterpiece.

Mario Kart (Wii). i loved the n64 version, and #8 is beautiful, but Wii is the absolute pinpoint of cartoony racing perfection. blah blah blah rubber band physics, i don't care. it's just FUN. great mix of characters, weapons, and tracks. 

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (Switch). as the name implies, it is the ultimate entry into this fighter/brawler game series. boiling right down to the point, the character selection is by far the best in gaming history. but it's well balanced, and all of the characters feel legitimate and unique. They must have signed a deal with the devil to make this work as well as it does. Even discounting that, the level of customization works to a massive degree, so you should always be able to play "your way". 

• Like 1

Graphics Team · Posted

If I'm going by the criteria of "what makes a perfect game for me", I have one 10/10 and several 9/10 titles.

Solomon's Key 2 (Fire 'N Ice) [NES]
+10/10 A puzzle-platforming masterpiece. Super charming 8-bit aesthetics with fantastic animation and character-design, balanced difficulty for novice puzzlers, simple mechanics utilized to their full potential, accessible save-system, and extra levels just for kicks. It's essentially perfect for my gaming-tastes.
image.jpeg.6999378170b341c40273d164359aeea2.jpeg

Abadox [NES]
+9/10 My favorite video game. Evocative bio-mechanical visuals, a mech-style hero, strategy-based level-design, horizontal and vertical stage-scrolling, unlimited continues, understated status within the NES library, and the best end-game escape-sequence I've yet encountered.
-1/10 High difficulty level, even from the outset. It's a wonder I've ever cleared this game, even with auto-fire.
image.jpeg.5572924a087442d36a7741c01482af00.jpeg

Bubble Bobble [GameBoy / NES]
+9/10 Arcade-style platforming at its best. Some of gaming's most endearing character and stage designs, versatile bubble-mechanics that really grow on the player, a perfectly succinct password-system, short-and-sweet levels, and enough hidden items, power-ups, and surprises to keep every playthrough novel.
-1/10 The length of the game becomes a slog, some levels are excessively difficult, and the multiple endings are both cryptic and disheartening to navigate.
image.jpeg.a2580e68a13d6e9a9513f4844a4b1925.jpeg

Dig Dug [Arcade]
+9/10 A straightforward, fun arcade classic. Neat digging and attack mechanics, cute character-designs, charming music, and a perfect "pick-up-and-play" arcade format.
-1/10 The increase in enemy speed and numbers in later levels can be overwhelming, and I've never made it to a definitive looping-point in the game.
image.jpeg.c87849082b8f0e06073dfac1135b532a.jpeg

Flappy Bird [iOS]
+9/10 A simple premise executed perfectly. Addicting gameplay devoid of any unnecessary fluff. One input is all you need, and all you could ever want in a game like this. 
-1/10 I hate the mobile-game format, and while I love 8-bit graphics, I generally don't like it when they're "faked" like this.
image.jpeg.67ab0452b70ba12052beb9857c0082d6.jpeg

Image Fight [NES]
+9/10 A solid, strategic space-shooter. Satisfyingly destructive and varied power-ups, an emphasis on route-planning, the perfect aesthetic balance of detail and minimalist design, unlimited continues with casual-friendly difficulty in the training missions, and undeniable "under-the-radar" appeal.
-1/10 Punishing difficulty spike in the post-simulation missions. I needed auto-fire and slow-motion just to clear this one.
image.jpeg.fb973b737e756439ae9518263342fba6.jpeg

Kwirk [GameBoy]
+9/10 A fun, no-nonsense, box-pushing puzzler. Simple mechanics, a forgiving "retry" and level-select system, and an addicting "just one more level" pull.
-1/10 Aesthetically serviceable but relatively unappealing, and the later levels get so complex that I could never solve them all.
image.jpeg.681341791f98e08bcdad755a7e1ebc34.jpeg

Sky Jinks [Atari 2600]
+9/10 The ideal slalom game. Absolutely gorgeous minimalist graphics and sound effects, exceedingly straightforward mechanics, a balanced number of game modes for variety, and well-defined time-targets for goal-oriented gamers (thanks Activision's patch standards).
-1/10 I can't remember what my caveats were with this game. It might actually be a 10/10 after all...
image.jpeg.088d539e23771f728523cca2a63f58de.jpeg

Super R-Type [SNES]
+9/10 One of the rightful kings of strategic space-shooters. Classic bio-mechanical aesthetics, stage-layouts that reward path-planning over reflex, extremely satisfying sound design (especially the explosion effects), intuitive and innovative force-pod and charge-shot mechanics, and an accessible "novice" mode for casual players.
-1/10 While this space-shooter solves my typical difficulty-gripe thanks to "novice" settings, it lacks the understated appeal of Abadox and Image Fight (even though R-Type was likely a heavy influence on both of those games).
image.jpeg.b3d2dfb3c3e4c4877f8713be6687e589.jpeg

Turmoil [Atari 2600]
+9/10 An innovative, arcade-style fixed space-shooter. Dopamine-inducing flow-state gameplay, fun point-bonuses, "pick-up-and-play" appeal, an overpowered default laser attack, and a successful twist on the fixed-shooter formula.
-1/10 Twitch gameplay isn't always my speed, and the audiovisual elements seem to value flashiness over solid design.
image.jpeg.a00bdc878e4db56f425992517dcc12ad.jpeg

Yoshi's Island [GameBoy Advance]
+9/10 A uniquely satisfying take on the platformer formula. Buttery controls with an intuitive flutter-jump mechanic, easy difficulty with accessible saves, solid overall length, fantastic and varied boss fights and stage mechanics, and an endearing art-style / musical score.
-1/10 Some game mechanics feel awkward, and the non-linear levels generally don't appeal to me.
image.jpeg.dc5f05f9541d68a7704ef074f5084d16.jpeg

-CasualCart

• Like 6
  • Love 5

On 6/20/2022 at 9:34 PM, elprincipe said:

I'll stick to NES only, although that's a much longer list than any other system:

Castlevania

Castlevania III

Contra

Super C

Mega Man 2

Mega Man 3

DuckTales

Super Mario Bros.

Super Mario Bros. 3

The Battle of Olympus

Ninja Gaiden

Ninja Gaiden II

Dr. Mario

I'm pretty picky with the 10s though. Most systems have either zero or one 10/10 game, for example Playstation with Symphony of the Night.

All right decided to list the ones for other systems. Hopefully I get them all 😉

Cosmic Ark (Atari VCS)

X-Wing (PC)

TIE Fighter (PC)

Super Mario World (SNES)

Secret of Mana (SNES)

Zelda LTTP (SNES)

Super Castlevania IV (SNES)

Soul Blazer (SNES)

Street Fighter II (arcade)

NBA Hangtime (arcade/N64)

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1)

Super Smash Bros. Melee (GC)

Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow (DS)

Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (DS)

Mario Kart 8 (Wii U)

Pikmin 3 (Wii U)

I think that's about it. Maybe one or two others.

14 minutes ago, CasualCart said:

Image Fight [NES]

+9/10 A solid, strategic space-shooter. Satisfyingly destructive and varied power-ups, an emphasis on route-planning, the perfect aesthetic balance of detail and minimalist design, unlimited continues with casual-friendly difficulty in the training missions, and undeniable "under-the-radar" appeal.
-1/10 Punishing difficulty spike in the post-simulation missions. I needed auto-fire and slow-motion just to clear this one.

-CasualCart

This is the most interesting aspect of your entire post, because I've been collecting NES for 23 years and playing it for like 35, and I have never ever heard anyone mention this game even in terms of good games, never mind great ones - heck, not even as the sickeningly overused term "hidden gem."  And here you have it as a 9/10 in a thread about the best of the best. So kudos to you for being the first person in human history to ever appreciate Image Fight on the NES... 🙂

Graphics Team · Posted
3 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

This is the most interesting aspect of your entire post, because I've been collecting NES for 23 years and playing it for like 35, and I have never ever heard anyone mention this game even in terms of good games, never mind great ones - heck, not even as the sickeningly overused term "hidden gem."  And here you have it as a 9/10 in a thread about the best of the best. So kudos to you for being the first person in human history to ever appreciate Image Fight on the NES... 🙂

Haha yeah - I'm well aware of its reputation. But as far as my personal criteria for perfect games, this one checks (almost) all the boxes.

That's why I'm so interested to read everyone's lists here (great topic, @Makar), since we've all got different preferences. For example, a perfect game for me has to be relatively easy, but that's probably one of the things you hate the most in a game @Dr. Morbis.

-CasualCart

Great topic. I don't rate a game as a 10/10 lightly, but I think anyone who has played games extensively for decades could justify having a pretty long list. There are so many great games out there. Here's my list:

• Tetris (Any)
  • Super Mario Bros. 3 (NES)
  • Chrono Trigger (SNES)
  • FF6 (SNES)
  • The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (SNES)
  • FF7 (PS)
  • Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS)
  • Metal Gear Solid (PS)
  • StarCraft: Brood War (PC)
  • GTA: Vice City (PS2)
  • Metroid Prime (GC)
  • Halo Reach (360)
  • Mass Effect (360)
  • The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Switch)

I've played a few more games over the last several years that may make the cut some day (the Ori series comes to mind), but they'll need a little more time in the rearview for me to commit.

P.S. I also just want to say that I love reading everybody's lists. The confirmation bias is great, but I also enjoy the hot takes on games of debatable quality.

Edited by DoctorEncore

1 hour ago, CasualCart said:

If I'm going by the criteria of "what makes a perfect game for me", I have one 10/10 and several 9/10 titles.

Solomon's Key 2 (Fire 'N Ice) [NES]
+10/10 A puzzle-platforming masterpiece. Super charming 8-bit aesthetics with fantastic animation and character-design, balanced difficulty for novice puzzlers, simple mechanics utilized to their full potential, accessible save-system, and extra levels just for kicks. It's essentially perfect for my gaming-tastes.
image.jpeg.6999378170b341c40273d164359aeea2.jpeg

Abadox [NES]
+9/10 My favorite video game. Evocative bio-mechanical visuals, a mech-style hero, strategy-based level-design, horizontal and vertical stage-scrolling, unlimited continues, understated status within the NES library, and the best end-game escape-sequence I've yet encountered.
-1/10 High difficulty level, even from the outset. It's a wonder I've ever cleared this game, even with auto-fire.
image.jpeg.5572924a087442d36a7741c01482af00.jpeg

Bubble Bobble [GameBoy / NES]
+9/10 Arcade-style platforming at its best. Some of gaming's most endearing character and stage designs, versatile bubble-mechanics that really grow on the player, a perfectly succinct password-system, short-and-sweet levels, and enough hidden items, power-ups, and surprises to keep every playthrough novel.
-1/10 The length of the game becomes a slog, some levels are excessively difficult, and the multiple endings are both cryptic and disheartening to navigate.
image.jpeg.a2580e68a13d6e9a9513f4844a4b1925.jpeg

Dig Dug [Arcade]
+9/10 A straightforward, fun arcade classic. Neat digging and attack mechanics, cute character-designs, charming music, and a perfect "pick-up-and-play" arcade format.
-1/10 The increase in enemy speed and numbers in later levels can be overwhelming, and I've never made it to a definitive looping-point in the game.
image.jpeg.c87849082b8f0e06073dfac1135b532a.jpeg

Flappy Bird [iOS]
+9/10 A simple premise executed perfectly. Addicting gameplay devoid of any unnecessary fluff. One input is all you need, and all you could ever want in a game like this. 
-1/10 I hate the mobile-game format, and while I love 8-bit graphics, I generally don't like it when they're "faked" like this.
image.jpeg.67ab0452b70ba12052beb9857c0082d6.jpeg

Image Fight [NES]
image.jpeg.fb973b737e756439ae9518263342fba6.jpeg

Kwirk [GameBoy]
+9/10 A fun, no-nonsense, box-pushing puzzler. Simple mechanics, a forgiving "retry" and level-select system, and an addicting "just one more level" pull.
-1/10 Aesthetically serviceable but relatively unappealing, and the later levels get so complex that I could never solve them all.
image.jpeg.681341791f98e08bcdad755a7e1ebc34.jpeg

Sky Jinks [Atari 2600]
+9/10 The ideal slalom game. Absolutely gorgeous minimalist graphics and sound effects, exceedingly straightforward mechanics, a balanced number of game modes for variety, and well-defined time-targets for goal-oriented gamers (thanks Activision's patch standards).
-1/10 I can't remember what my caveats were with this game. It might actually be a 10/10 after all...
image.jpeg.088d539e23771f728523cca2a63f58de.jpeg

Super R-Type [SNES]
+9/10 One of the rightful kings of strategic space-shooters. Classic bio-mechanical aesthetics, stage-layouts that reward path-planning over reflex, extremely satisfying sound design (especially the explosion effects), intuitive and innovative force-pod and charge-shot mechanics, and an accessible "novice" mode for casual players.
-1/10 While this space-shooter solves my typical difficulty-gripe thanks to "novice" settings, it lacks the understated appeal of Abadox and Image Fight (even though R-Type was likely a heavy influence on both of those games).
image.jpeg.b3d2dfb3c3e4c4877f8713be6687e589.jpeg

Turmoil [Atari 2600]
+9/10 An innovative, arcade-style fixed space-shooter. Dopamine-inducing flow-state gameplay, fun point-bonuses, "pick-up-and-play" appeal, an overpowered default laser attack, and a successful twist on the fixed-shooter formula.
-1/10 Twitch gameplay isn't always my speed, and the audiovisual elements seem to value flashiness over solid design.
image.jpeg.a00bdc878e4db56f425992517dcc12ad.jpeg

Yoshi's Island [GameBoy Advance]
+9/10 A uniquely satisfying take on the platformer formula. Buttery controls with an intuitive flutter-jump mechanic, easy difficulty with accessible saves, solid overall length, fantastic and varied boss fights and stage mechanics, and an endearing art-style / musical score.
-1/10 Some game mechanics feel awkward, and the non-linear levels generally don't appeal to me.
image.jpeg.dc5f05f9541d68a7704ef074f5084d16.jpeg

-CasualCart

Man you went all out!! LOVE the art as usual! You da man!!! Idk what half the games you mentioned even are lol but that’s why I love this thread. Everyone has different tastes and enjoy different games for different reasons. 

• Love 1

15 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

This is the most interesting aspect of your entire post, because I've been collecting NES for 23 years and playing it for like 35, and I have never ever heard anyone mention this game even in terms of good games, never mind great ones - heck, not even as the sickeningly overused term "hidden gem."

Eh, the NES port ok sure probably. But the original Image Fight is a great game. I haven't played the NES version, but if its able to replicate just a bit of what the arcade version does, I really want to. 

Where do I start? These are the games I think are 10/10. Top ones I think are slightly better than the ones below.

1. Super Mario Bros. 3 (NES)
  2. Super Mario World (SNES)
  3. Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (SNES)
  4. Super Mario 64 (N64)
  5. Super Mario Galaxy (Wii)
  6. Tetris (NES / GB)
  7. Banjo-Kazooie (N64)
  8. Super Metroid (SNES)
  9. Donkey Kong Country II: Diddy's Kong Quest (SNES)
  10. Chrono Trigger (SNES)
  11. Legend of Zelda (NES)
  12. Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
  13. Metal Gear Solid (PS1)
  14. Final Fantasy VI (SNES)
  15. Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask (N64)
  16. Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1)
  17. Final Fantasy 7 (PS1)
  18. Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!! (NES)
  19. Mega Man 2 (NES)
  20. Super Punch-Out!! (SNES)

These are all the games I think I can play forever and never get bored. I can probably fit another couple games if I include PC, but it seems my personal taste is SNES, then NES, followed by a sprinkling of PS1 and N64.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

the games from my childhood, or ones that i play the most as an adult

- Super Mario Bros. 3 (NES)
- Astérix (NES)
- Kirby's Adventure (NES)
- Blades of Steel (NES)
- Snow Brothers (NES)
- Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles (NES)
- Kirby's Dream Land (GB)
- Super Mario Land 2 - 6 Golden Coins (GB)
- Felix The Cat (GB)
- TMHT - Back From The Sewers (GB)
- Tom & Jerry - Frantic Antics! (GB) damn you kitchen level....
- Disney Infinity (Wii U) why did Disney ever pull the plug on this...... sob sob.....
- Dragon Ball Z - Tenkaichi Budokai 3 (Wii)

Edited by Friendsfa35
  • Like 1

My personal list:

Tetris (any)

Castlevania (NES)

Final Fantasy VI (SNES/GBA)

Sonic Mania (modern platforms)

Red Dead Redemption 2 (modern platforms)

Streets of Rage 2 (Genesis)

Super Mario 64 (N64)

Kingdom Hearts 2 (PS2/3/4)

Shinobi (arcade/Master System)

Shinobi III (Genesis)

Nights into Dreams (Saturn)

Panzer Dragoon 1 + 2 (Saturn)

Halo 3 (Xbox 360/1/Series)

Idk if I consider that my complete list but those come to mind. I’m playing Demon’s Souls for the first time on PS5 and that one may be up there.

• Like 1

Banjo-Kazooie (N64, 1998)
BioShock (PS3, 2008)
BioShock 2 (PS3, 2010)
BioShock Infinite (PS3, 2013)
Chrono Trigger (SNES, 1995)
Conker's Bad Fur Day (N64, 2001)
Crash Bandicoot N Sane Trilogy (PS4, 2017)
Dark Souls Remastered (PS4, 2018)
Diddy Kong Racing (N64, 1997)
Donkey Kong Country (SNES, 1994)
Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest (SNES, 1995)
Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie Kong's Double Trouble (SNES, 1996)
EarthBound (SNES, 1995)
Final Fantasy VII (PS1, 1997)
Final Fantasy IX (PS1, 2000)
Final Fantasy X (PS2, 2001)
Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker (GCN, 2003)
Limbo (PS3, 2011)
Paper Mario (N64, 2001)
Resident Evil [Remake] (GCN, 2002)
Resident Evil 2 [Remake] (PS4, 2009)
Super Mario 64 (N64, 1996)
Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars (SNES, 1996)
Super Mario World (SNES, 1991)
Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island (SNES, 1995)