IGNORED

Now why in the heck would anyone do a dumb thing like this?

I understand the idea of getting it graded since it's basically authentication for the buyer peace of mind. However, I don't think the grade effects the price at all in this case.

There were 10 (?) Of these and thks was the first homebrew ever. I'd be surprised if it sold for half of the asking price based on how far the homebrew market has fallen since 2016. 

4 hours ago, 360collector said:

WATA should grade games that are a 1. Simply because grading companies should be expected to determine the autheticity of the game, and some games will be very rare/valuable and also damaged. Having it graded then will in serious grading companies be labeled something like "Authentic - damaged" and simply no points if its too bad, but might get a 1-2 depending.

Do you think it’s ethical for wata, the grading company, to use or determine the market value of a game and use it as a metric for what is gradable?

3 hours ago, 360collector said:

wow thats crazy. Your saying wata should knowingly grade and slab counterfeit products. I dont see why video game grading should be treated different than all other decades long established grading standards. Coming from coin collecting buying slabbed coins is a great comfort because actual experts have looked at it and determined its authenticity and grade. Grading is still subjective though, even though with todays technology there is no reason for it to be.

I would want to choose a company that focuses on authentication. Besides, it's been shown countless times that the folks here can do a better job at authentication than the rubes at Wata.

The Garage Cart is the perfect example of a game that absolutely should not be getting a grade, yet similarly is a game that I could see someone wanting to authenticate. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Code Monkey said:

So much misinformation and lack of knowledge in here I have to leave.

If you want to debate about Wata with factual information, I can do that but randomly saying it's a scam with no information for reference is not a debate. Give me something to respond to here.

Let me respond:

Have you been to the internet?

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, 360collector said:

wow thats crazy. Your saying wata should knowingly grade and slab counterfeit products. I dont see why video game grading should be treated different than all other decades long established grading standards. Coming from coin collecting buying slabbed coins is a great comfort because actual experts have looked at it and determined its authenticity and grade. Grading is still subjective though, even though with todays technology there is no reason for it to be.

Lol, where have you been dude?

WATA DOES knowingly and happily grade counterfeit goods! They've graded tons of reproduction carts of all kinds, they've even graded genuine games and manuals in fake reproduction boxes!

Oh, and you think maybe I mean they graded a few by mistake? No. No no no. They grade reproductions on purpose. They note that it is a repro on the label and seal it up, they don't give a fuck.

It's a travesty against historical preservation of genuine video game history, and it's bound to sow confusion amongst less-informed buyers.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, OptOut said:

WATA DOES knowingly and happily grade counterfeit goods! They've graded tons of reproduction carts of all kinds, they've even graded genuine games and manuals in fake reproduction boxes!

Oh, and you think maybe I mean they graded a few by mistake? No. No no no. They grade reproductions on purpose. They note that it is a repro on the label and seal it up, they don't give a fuck.

It's a travesty against historical preservation of genuine video game history, and it's bound to sow confusion amongst less-informed buyers.

Do you think buyers will see the word “reproduction” and not know what it means? Genuinely curious. Since basically forever ago, I’ve always known that word to be a counter to “genuine” or “authentic.”

I interpret wata’s accepting of repros and homebrews moreso to be in line with preservation. People can and do put a lot of work into these after-market games, especially if it’s a ROM and the box has totally custom art.

11 minutes ago, inasuma said:

Do you think buyers will see the word “reproduction” and not know what it means? Genuinely curious. Since basically forever ago, I’ve always known that word to be a counter to “genuine” or “authentic.”

I interpret wata’s accepting of repros and homebrews moreso to be in line with preservation. People can and do put a lot of work into these after-market games, especially if it’s a ROM and the box has totally custom art.

Personally, I think it makes a mockery of the entire practice of grading and authenticating, but that's just me. 🤷‍♂️

• Sad 1

14 hours ago, OptOut said:

I guess wata is even worse than I thought, and I thought very low of them lol

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1