IGNORED

2022 VGS NES Weekly Contest - Galaxy 5000!

BeaIank

8 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

Theres so much to this game. It really does take a pro am style racer to other levels. 

Totally.  There are so many nooks and crannies to do stuff on these courses.  Even the earlier courses which look deceptively simple...

@BeaIankThis first 4 races only, really did work great for a comp.  We should totally do a back-half Galaxy 5000 competition sometime with everyone starting on Jupiter with a Phantom!  Would be an AWESOME chapter for the tournament!!!

• Agree 1

34 minutes ago, PII said:
1 hour ago, NESfiend said:

Well @PII, I finally managed a respectable score clearing 1.15 mil and I know theres def room for improvement. Games I played tonight I realized Im too focused on destruction. Needs to be about winning, not blowing up enemies, once you get to earth 2 or 3. 

That said, I have no clue how you crossed 1.6 mil. And I cant wait to heae about it when this thing is done. Nice win!!!!! If there were a racing cat this year, itd be neck and neck lol

It's all about massive Eliminations AND Winning the race to boot.  It's good to know where the colored asterisks are and be good at nabbing them but that is totally secondary to E & W.  Tertiary would be blowing up everything else in sight whenever possible... 

Also, any time your ship upgrades, you want to know exactly where your going to grab a blue-asterisk-weapon-upgrade on the first lap of the following course.  

The biggest thing though once you're good at piloting any given course is enemy manipulation, being really good at varying up your gas and break inputs and then of course, aim.  Skips help to get right in front or right behind another racer...

11 minutes ago, PII said:

and then of course, aim. 

And thats where my failure came. Seemed like I was so often a half second behind on shots hitting racers ahead of me.  And bad decisions follow misses. CRTV may have helped there, but you really took this to a different level. Probably good for me the racing cat only lasted one year. I will never be dethroned! Lol

Totally agree, @BeaIank. 4 levels was absolutely perfect. Nice call not listening to degenerates like pii and I. 

13 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

And thats where my failure came. Seemed like I was so often a half second behind on shots hitting racers ahead of me.  And bad decisions follow misses. CRTV may have helped there, but you really took this to a different level. Probably good for me the racing cat only lasted one year. I will never be dethroned! Lol

Totally agree, @BeaIank. 4 levels was absolutely perfect. Nice call not listening to degenerates like pii and I. 

Another thing is, w/the Phantom and the Scorpion your upgraded weapon can take a while, like seconds, to complete its trajectory before you can fire off another round, so, hit or miss it's good to git really gud at efficiently switching back and forth between the strong and weak weapon since you can fire off the weak weapon while the strong weapon is in play...

...This game really got the most out of the NES controller...

Repeat your accomplishment or loose the crown for a successive year, either way you got it for 2021.  C'mon, you know you want to see the Racing Cat come back as bad as I do !!

Edited by PII

6 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Participation?!?!  Dude, this is waaaaaay beyond participation.  You are killing it with this score!  You went from having no experience with this game to a score like that 😮.

Here's the thing, from my perspective, I can no-death Micro Machines and I'm really good at the RC Pro-Ams, and yet it took me like three solid hours to hit 800k, and I think I would need about five more hours to top your score and really get good.

Now, remembering my experiences with you, on the other hand: we played four-player RC Pro-Am II once and you sucked so bad that you were the first guy out by a mile.  Likewise, when we played four-player Micro Machines on the N64 at Jordin's, same thing, you were terrible and came in dead last.  Of course those were on real consoles in front of real people, but now that you're playing on a PC with an emulator, you're just killing it - putting up such a great score mid-week on what sounds like your first run?!?! Crazy stuff!

Next time we hang out, I've gotta watch you play Galaxy 5000 in person, because your skills in top-down racing have improved so dramatically, it'll be a treat for my eyes.  I won't bother challenging you to a two player match, though, because you're obviously way beyond my skill level, but getting to see your skills in action will be the real win for me!

And it sure is helping you keep the lead in the sports category.  Hmmm......

Just saying...

If you remember correctly, I didn't really want to play RC Pro Am II in the first place, but regardless I wasn't the first out, that was Riley.  Same with Super Off Road.  Though I did suck nuts at Micro Machines.  Regardless, human competition is far superior to the AI.  Also, this wasn't my first run on the game, it's just the first run where I survived all four races.  I had a few more hours to compete, but didn't feel the need to progress further.  The game has a few tricks, and while there's definitely room for improvement, my thumbs were pretty much done by that point, so I wasn't willing to make a second run.  Of course, I also thought the competition was going to be a LOT tougher as well.  The game's not terrible, it's just not my jam, that's all.

Also, for the record, it was achieved on Alpha controls.  Although Beta seemed a bit easier on the thumbs, Alpha felt more natural for me.  If I could've got used to Beta, maybe I could've done another run or two, but I just didn't care enough to bother.  But yeah, this time around I didn't post a score until I had completed a full run, otherwise there would've been my typical run of "starting like shit and improving" rather than one good score and that's it. 

• The topic was unpinned