IGNORED

2022 VGS NES Weekly Contest - Galaxy 5000!

BeaIank

You people...

I mean, I gave this a try for a couple of hours and learned to love it with beta controls. I just don't have a lot of time and I wanted to get on the board.  If I discovered this game as a kid, it'd been up there (and might have beaten) R.C. Pro Am, and that was a great game in my book.  No Rad Racer, but close.  With proper nostalgia goggles this might have tied with RR.

• Agree 1

603200 + 339900 = 943,100 Points

20220623_142712.jpg.cc8d888e2d65678daa37e064b572f62c.jpg

Well, my thumbs ain't happy, but I got my participation in this week.  I'm not likely to do a second run, so this is gonna be my score for the week.  I'm out of town this weekend so yeah, not much gonna happen beyond this.  Hope it's good enough to keep me at the top of the sports leaderboard.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, PII said:

So close.  Git that crusher!  It'll change your space-life.

I got it once, right after that.  It's a way better ship, but I got murdered by the other players.  My score would have been better had I not bought it, but not by much.  I think it was around 260,000.  But yeah, it's definitely a worthy upgrade.

• Like 1

@BeaIank

So I'm at that point where I'm in danger of getting the Scorpion craft (automatically) by having over $500,000.  I finished Mars3 w/a record score, but I can't spend enough $$ on repairs to get my money below 500,000 going into Mars4 in order to avoid the Scorpion and the loss of 5 hundred K, so I took a pic of the score but the thing is I'd already advanced the screen to the ship repair screen which no longer has Mars3 on the screen.  So I also took a pic of the beginning of the next race Mars4 which has the Scorpion in the shot, of course.

I finished just over 1.6 mil, would've been over 1.7 mil after mars4 if I'd been able to keep my cash under 5hk going into mars4 and I'm reasonably confident I can get there again, but seeing as how the race is currently so close and all 😉  I thought I'd go ahead and document this....

Never know, it might end up being relevant info. for other race competitors, by which I mean @NESfiend lol.

1,604,400.png

Mars4 w:Scorpion.png

5 hours ago, BeaIank said:

Well, that is dreadful, isn't it? Having to optimize your run in those 16 races in order to not have 500K by the 15th one and maximize your score + money! 😉

Actually, it makes for one hell of a contest.  This 4 planets thing wasn't such a bad idea after all.  But does the run above count?  Without a specific level marker (Mars3, in this case) visible on screen?

Events Team · Posted
12 minutes ago, PII said:

Actually, it makes for one hell of a contest.  This 4 planets thing wasn't such a bad idea after all.  But does the run above count?  Without a specific level marker (Mars3, in this case) visible on screen?

Yes, it is valid. Your final score is score + money at where you stopped. If you stopped at Mars3, it will be accetable.
Now to figure how to optimize the run to get to Mars4 with 499K to not have to buy the ship automatically and max the score even more!

1 minute ago, BeaIank said:

Yes, it is valid. Your final score is score + money at where you stopped. If you stopped at Mars3, it will be accetable.
Now to figure how to optimize the run to get to Mars4 with 499K to not have to buy the ship automatically and max the score even more!

Right!  Failing that, I'm now thinking it possible to rock hard for an early Scorpion and break 2 Mil.....

Finally on the board. Time has been tough to cone by and I get too crazy point racking and blow up ships when I get it. I should be able to get over 1.2 or 1.3, but @PIIcurrent score is pretty untouchable. I also flirted with having to buy the scorpion and should have had a mil+ easy that game, but I game overed on mars 4 and assumed it had to be complete to count. Now I get why it doesnt - anything but 100% complete thru mars 4 would otherwise be invalid. 

Heading out of town for the night. Hopefully I can get a couple runs tomorrow night and grab second. Nicely done Piii! 

799,650 + 365,950 = 1,165,600

20220626_210900.jpg

Edited by NESfiend
  • Like 1

PII's MINI-SKINNY-SCOREBOARD       Been wantin' to try my hand at one of these:

Pie ala mode     -     1,604,400

Wiz'n-like-he-means-it     -     943,100

Need Fins     -     923,850

More Botox Doc     -     639,800 

R.occo H.amburg     -     202,270

WereCat Bug     -     (possible submission in works)

Mr.Big.Dromedary39Forever     -     Setting out

Disappointed Tapeworm Dispenser     -     Disappointed

Edited by PII
  • Haha 3

On 6/23/2022 at 2:31 PM, the_wizard_666 said:

603200 + 339900 = 943,100 Points

Well, my thumbs ain't happy, but I got my participation in this week.  I'm not likely to do a second run, so this is gonna be my score for the week.  I'm out of town this weekend so yeah, not much gonna happen beyond this.  Hope it's good enough to keep me at the top of the sports leaderboard.

Participation?!?!  Dude, this is waaaaaay beyond participation.  You are killing it with this score!  You went from having no experience with this game to a score like that 😮.

Here's the thing, from my perspective, I can no-death Micro Machines and I'm really good at the RC Pro-Ams, and yet it took me like three solid hours to hit 800k, and I think I would need about five more hours to top your score and really get good.

Now, remembering my experiences with you, on the other hand: we played four-player RC Pro-Am II once and you sucked so bad that you were the first guy out by a mile.  Likewise, when we played four-player Micro Machines on the N64 at Jordin's, same thing, you were terrible and came in dead last.  Of course those were on real consoles in front of real people, but now that you're playing on a PC with an emulator, you're just killing it - putting up such a great score mid-week on what sounds like your first run?!?! Crazy stuff!

Next time we hang out, I've gotta watch you play Galaxy 5000 in person, because your skills in top-down racing have improved so dramatically, it'll be a treat for my eyes.  I won't bother challenging you to a two player match, though, because you're obviously way beyond my skill level, but getting to see your skills in action will be the real win for me!

And it sure is helping you keep the lead in the sports category.  Hmmm......

Just saying...

Edited by Dr. Morbis
  • Haha 1

Well @PII, I finally managed a respectable score clearing 1.15 mil and I know theres def room for improvement. Games I played tonight I realized Im too focused on destruction. Needs to be about winning, not blowing up enemies, once you get to earth 2 or 3. 

That said, I have no clue how you crossed 1.6 mil. And I cant wait to heae about it when this thing is done. Nice win!!!!! If there were a racing cat this year, itd be neck and neck lol

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

Well @PII, I finally managed a respectable score clearing 1.15 mil and I know theres def room for improvement. Games I played tonight I realized Im too focused on destruction. Needs to be about winning, not blowing up enemies, once you get to earth 2 or 3. 

That said, I have no clue how you crossed 1.6 mil. And I cant wait to heae about it when this thing is done. Nice win!!!!! If there were a racing cat this year, itd be neck and neck lol

It's all about massive Eliminations AND Winning the race to boot.  It's good to know where the colored asterisks are and be good at nabbing them but that is totally secondary to E & W.  Tertiary would be blowing up everything else in sight whenever possible... 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, PII said:

Tertiary would be blowing up everything else in sight whenever possible... 

I had to look up the word tertiary. Impressive. I had this part wrong. Id kill one off, then finish third on levels where there was a lot of shit to blow up clearing it all out. Theres so much to this game. It really does take a pro am style racer to other levels. 

• Agree 1

@NESfiend Last night I was still trying to keep my $$ under 5HK until Mars4.  Always, fixing my ship and even deliberately hitting land mines, so I'd have something to fix.  It just wasn't working out, but it's def. possible and likely to get a score of 1.7mil - 1.8mil that way.  That first score over 1.6mil. I had something like $566,000 and could only get down to about $530,000 for the Mars4 run.  If I had been able to get it down to $499,950 I probably would have finished close to 1.75mil.  

So tonight I focused on getting a scorpion as soon as possible.  I only managed to get it in time for the last 2 races though.  One thing that helped, was on the last race one of the other racers had also upgraded to a Scorpion and I was able to blow up that Scorpion closely followed by his Phantom and Crusher + other racers.  Got a score on that Mars4 just under 200,000 so that's almost 400,000 on the last race.

• Wow! 2