IGNORED

2022 VGS NES Weekly Contest - Galaxy 5000!

BeaIank

10 hours ago, NESfiend said:

Too many beers on the golf course for fathers day yesterday and a last second work project tonight has me two days behind right out the gate. @Bearcat-Doug, send @PIIa bottle or 2 of his favorite bourbon to slow him down a bit.....

I don't know anything about bourbon, but Kentucky is right across the river. I have a feeling that the people over there may be familiar with it.

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, PII said:

Ya know, I hear some people drive their space-ship a little better after a couple...   Anyway, a bottle of 1792 Full Proof would be just Lovely.

If I'm looking at the right stuff, the cheapest I saw it for sale online was about $70. Apparently bourbon is rather expensive.

You know what’s bull shit? “Heat index” what the fuck is that? I’ve had 3 people come up to me today saying “it’s like 101 degrees today and that’s not counting the heat index! It’s like 110”. 

i look at the third guy and say “what is heat index? Everybody is talking about heat index. I don’t know what that means.” this dude basically cuts me off and says “humidity, humidity. It’s what the temperature feels like”. I’m thinking oh shit we got a wanna be junior meteorologist working a forklift at the distribution center now.

so “heat index” is humidity. What the fuck does that have to do with the temperature? If the temperature is 101 how can it “feel like” 110?! What the hell is that? No! It “feels like” 101 because that’s the actual temperature! Why are we adding on pretend degrees calling it “heat index”. Wth man….

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, docile tapeworm said:

You know what’s bull shit? “Heat index” what the fuck is that? I’ve had 3 people come up to me today saying “it’s like 101 degrees today and that’s not counting the heat index! It’s like 110”. 

i look at the third guy and say “what is heat index? Everybody is talking about heat index. I don’t know what that means.” this dude basically cuts me off and says “humidity, humidity. It’s what the temperature feels like”. I’m thinking oh shit we got a wanna be junior meteorologist working a forklift at the distribution center now.

so “heat index” is humidity. What the fuck does that have to do with the temperature? If the temperature is 101 how can it “feel like” 110?! What the hell is that? No! It “feels like” 101 because that’s the actual temperature! Why are we adding on pretend degrees calling it “heat index”. Wth man….

Bruh

• Haha 1

On 6/21/2022 at 11:16 AM, docile tapeworm said:

Dew Point, Humidex  / {\displaystyle H=T_{\text{air}}+{\frac {5}{9}}\left[6.11\times e^{5417.7530\left({\frac {1}{273.16}}-{\frac {1}{273.15+T_{\text{dew}}}}\right)}-10\right]}

Edited by PII
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, docile tapeworm said:

Yeah, I mean, part of me wants to be on your side, but growing up in Columbia, SC, I have stood by my entire adult life that it is the 'hottest place on Earth', for three reasons.  The heat can get very high (often over 100 deg in the summer, and having a day above 110 in a summer is not uncommon), the humidity is always 100% and last, that place is like a bowl of stagnant, rarely breezy air.

I've heard people say "Death Valley is hotter", and then people from the military (which there are a bunch around Columbia) are always quick to respond "Yeah, I've been to Death Valley... Columbia is way hotter."

The "Heat Index" is legit, but if you've lived in the same general area your whole life, you're just use to what 100 degrees feels like in your area.  If you're in Florida (IIRC), then that's probably in the 85-100% range.  That's hotter than 100% in the desert.  I have been in 110 degree weather in 0% humidity... I thought it felt nice in the shade, so long as I stayed hydrated.  In a place like Columbia with high humidity, 100% in the shade makes you want to diiiiiiiiiiie.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, docile tapeworm said:

I live in southeast mo. Heat indexes have been 110+ lately. But our summers always suck because its very humid here. 

Like you, I dont get the technicalities with the term. But I do get that dry heat feels hotter/shittier. I vacation in northern MI. 90 there feels like a cool spring missouri day. 90 here in southeast mo feels like hell on earth. So there is something to it. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, the_wizard_666 said:

Ummm...do you mean completing the four races of Mercury, or playing through 16 races to get to the end of Mars?  Because if it's the latter, I doubt I'll get anywhere near that far.

Play till you beat Mars4.  So that's Mercury 1/2/3/4, Venus 1/2/3/4, Earth 1/2/3/4, Mars 1/2/3/4 for a total of 16 races.

Each race is not long.

Edited by PII

16 minutes ago, PII said:

Play till you beat Mars4.  So that's Mercury 1/2/3/4, Venus 1/2/3/4, Earth 1/2/3/4, Mars 1/2/3/4 for a total of 16 races.

Each race is not long.

No, but by Mercury 3 my thumb is ready to say "fuck this noise."  I'm not sure I'm even going to get much of a score at all this week because of it.  Maybe I'll do like Pipe Dream and do a race or two, then pause and come back later, because I just don't see myself playing through that much of this crap.

1 hour ago, the_wizard_666 said:

No, but by Mercury 3 my thumb is ready to say "fuck this noise."  I'm not sure I'm even going to get much of a score at all this week because of it.  Maybe I'll do like Pipe Dream and do a race or two, then pause and come back later, because I just don't see myself playing through that much of this crap.

If I didn't know better I'd have to say that you don't care much for this game.  

Regardless, if you can learn to use Beta controls your poor thumb will be able to operate in a much more relaxed manner.

...just sayin'

• Agree 1

59 minutes ago, PII said:

If I didn't know better I'd have to say that you don't care much for this game.  

Regardless, if you can learn to use Beta controls your poor thumb will be able to operate in a much more relaxed manner.

...just sayin'

I honestly can't get the hang of beta controls.  If I had an NES set up and my games unpacked, I'd bust out the NES Max to save some wear on my thumb, but meh, not worth that much effort.

And yeah, I don't particularly care for it.  It's not a bad game per se, it's just not my cup of tea.  I can't even really say I dislike it that much, it's just, y'know, meh.

On 6/19/2022 at 7:58 PM, NESfiend said:

Its freaking awesome. Pro am on steroids - you will love it. 

Also freaking awesome, Im having bdubs wings and imos pizza for dinner. Dads day is the only one you can double dip like that

Edit: and Ill save you some headache. Beta controls 

I gave this a try yesterday and honestly it reminded me more of an 8 bit F-Zero than anything. Even with the beta controls, they still seem a bit awkward. 

10 hours ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I gave this a try yesterday and honestly it reminded me more of an 8 bit F-Zero than anything. Even with the beta controls, they still seem a bit awkward. 

That was my immediate thought as well, but I've only given F-Zero a try a couple of tries since I wasn't a SNES kid back when it launched.

I agree, I like beta controls.  I haven't played R. C. Pro Am in ages, but the controls feel so familiar.  Are they similar to that game?  Anyone familiar with the two.  I don't think they are, but the muscle memory feels close.

Anyway, I made the same mistake when I posted my score thinking we were just playing Mercury and @PII I was blown away by your score... lol.  Nah, we get to do 16 races rather than 4.  It's still a good score, but not as amazing as I thought it was with just 4 races.

Anyway, I've found that with this game, once you lose the lead, it's often hard to get it back.  I try to jump over corners (which you can do) to save time if you miss, it seriously costs you.  I wish I found this game as a kid.  I would have loved it.  I don't have enough time to master this one, but I'm definitely going to have to try and pick up a copy.

• Like 1

This Contest is already more than half over!  

Is @NESfiend attempting to lure me into a false sense of security by not posting a score?  

Will @the_wizard_666 receive a visit from Angelic beings on high, learn the true meaning of Christmas, and here-forth and forever regard Galaxy 5000 as the One-True-Gem of the NES Collection that it rightfully is?

Will @docile tapeworm finish his story regarding climactic considerations?

Doubtful.

¡Almost half of this contest remains!  ¡COME ONE, COME ALL!  ¡YOU DON'T HAVE TO DO GREAT TO HAVE A GREAT TIME, WHEN YOU'RE JAMMIN' ON GALAXY 5000!!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PII said:

This Contest is already more than half over!  

Is @NESfiend attempting to lure me into a false sense of security by not posting a score?  

Will @the_wizard_666 receive a visit from Angelic beings on high, learn the true meaning of Christmas, and here-forth and forever regard Galaxy 5000 as the One-True-Gem of the NES Collection that it rightfully is?

Will @docile tapeworm finish his story regarding climactic considerations?

Doubtful.

¡Almost half of this contest remains!  ¡COME ONE, COME ALL!  ¡YOU DON'T HAVE TO DO GREAT TO HAVE A GREAT TIME, WHEN YOU'RE JAMMIN' ON GALAXY 5000!!!

I posted a mili last week and Id like to beat that. I have gotten way too greedy and keep destroying ships trying to point rack way too hard. No game playing here. Work week hasnt helped and may not get much better. But Im far from done

On 6/22/2022 at 5:21 AM, Bearcat-Doug said:

Maybe this will help you and @the_wizard_666. Beta controls are exactly like rc pro am controls using left and right (taps basically) on the d pad to turn the ship. The difference is up on the dpad accelerates NO MATTER what direction you are facing. Because A and B are used for jumping and weapons, they needed a way to accelerate otherwise. 

Thats why the feel is akward at first. Naturally, youd think if left and right on the d pad change the ships direction, up would as well. It does not. Its purely the accelerator. Again, it take a little getting used to, but not that much and once you straighten that out in your mind, it really isnt difficult. The controls are actually flawless/very fair, just not what you would expect

Edit: down operates as brakes same way up works for gas. Again, no matter which direction you are facing. 

Edited by NESfiend
  • Like 1