IGNORED

Game Debate #105: Donkey Kong Country Returns

Reed Rothchild

Rate it  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Rate based on your own personal preferences, NOT historical significance

• 10/10 - One of your very favorite games of all time.
    • 9/10 - Killer fucking game. Everyone should play it.
    • 8/10 - Great game. You like to recommend it.
    • 7/10 - Very good game, but not quite great.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. You might enjoy occasionally playing it.
    • 5/10 - It's okay, but maybe not something you'll go out of your way to play.
    • 4/10 - Meh. There's plenty of better alternatives to this.
    • 3/10 - Not a very good game.
    • 2/10 - Pretty crappy.
    • 1/10 - Horrible game in every way.
    • 0/10 - The Desert Bus of painful experiences. You'd rather shove an icepick in your genitals than play this.
    • Never played it, but you're interested.
    • Never played it, never will.
  2. 2. Next week's poll

• Pikmin
    • Skies of Arcadia
    • Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic

This is a tough vote. I have it on the Switch... intended to play it.  Got through 3 levels and enjoyed the experience but never went back to it.  It feels like old school DKC to me, though not 100% perfect, but good enough.  I just never managed to get back to it.

I give it a 6 and a shrug.

Editorials Team · Posted
3 hours ago, RH said:

This is a tough vote. I have it on the Switch... intended to play it.  Got through 3 levels and enjoyed the experience but never went back to it.  It feels like old school DKC to me, though not 100% perfect, but good enough.  I just never managed to get back to it.

I give it a 6 and a shrug.

That would be Tropical Freeze, the followup

Good game that I enjoyed and I’m giving it a 7/10 on that basis but it’s worse than all three of the original trilogy. Only really played through it once though and my memories are a little dim.

The aesthetics were generally a miss for me. The 3D graphics were bright and shiny in a way I didn’t like and that just didn’t feel true to the style of the old games. The tikis are also a poor replacement for the kremlings.

The Wii waggle moves really suck and were a very 2010 thing to put in a game. I guess I could play the 3DS version or emulate or something to get around that but meh.

It also felt like the game was specifically inspired by DKC1 but not the other games despite that the consensus for at least 20 years has been that at least DKC2 is better. The way bonus stages are so de-emphasized (taken to an extreme here), the lack of Dixie, the lack of animal buddies (I could actually see why they might have thought only having Rambi was wise if DKC1 alone was the template and didn’t have a use for Engarde if they weren’t making water levels), the absence of some of the weirder crap like in the later games. This just didn’t feel quite like the DKC I grew up with. Maybe I’d cut it more slack for seeming to draw mostly just from DKC1 if the gameplay had been at least almost as good as that game but it wasn’t.

Why wasn’t it? Hard to say on any detailed level, it’s been like a decade, I just remembering not liking it nearly as much. I have seen criticism from others of the general flow of the action and overly hard boss fights but while I do remember dying a fair amount on some of the latter I don’t actually recall whether those were my problems with it.

Despite how much this game was praised in 2010, I’ve kinda noticed how hard Tropical Freeze seems to have one-upped up it among fans. Will definitely give that a shot if I ever get a console that can play it.

The first two DKC games on SNES are some of my favorite games of all time. As such, it tends to set a pretty high expectation for any sequels. To that end, I think DKC Returns mostly lives up to the experience, even if it stumbles just a tad in places. I think most of it is due to the forced gimmicks of being on the Wii and having to endure motion control. But I think it says something that the game manages to make it worth tolerating those annoyances. Not quite the classic experience of the originals but still a great game with a lot of charm and challenge.

7/10

Edited by Webhead123

Yeah not bad, I played the 3DS version! I have a little trouble with the control scheme for this game and Tropical Freeze though, like grabbing you have to press a button, like a shoulder button or something? I figure the grab should just be automatic like it was in the original, when you run into a barrel holding the run button he just picks it up, in this it just feels a little more awkward. Always throws me off a little.

Anyway, to me the first games are like 9's and 10's, this and tropical freeze are more like 7's... Actually I never finished tropical freeze tbh. Eh, they're good!

This is coming from someone who loved the original DKC, but felt that parts 2 and 3 were a bit dull.  

I played DKCR and enjoyed it, but never got around to completely finishing it.  I want to say I was around 80% of the way done, but I don't remember for sure.  I loved the fact that the game was back to a 2D sidescrolling game, but I wasn't crazy about the new enemies or the waggle controls.  I'm not sure why I didn't finish it, but obviously I didn't consider it to the be masterpiece that the original was.  I never got a chance to play Tropical Freeze, but I want to someday.