IGNORED

Pokemon Secret Key Distribution - $1,500 USD Sold Listing?

Fluff

https://web.archive.org/web/20220609032324/https://www.ebay.com/itm/115410529488?nma=true&si=xBYHmaR5GtOVSQerlWsztDXRLKg%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

I've been following the pokemon distribution cartridge scene for years and years, but does this not seem like a crazy price jump? I know this cartridge is super rare, but certainly not the rarest distribtion cartridge there is (however it might be one of the more useless distributions, at least in my opinion). I'm not sure why there was such a premium on this cartridge, maybe its just because of its the first mint, undamage version of it to appear in a while, but considering the "restored" versions have been selling for just a little over $100 USD, this seems like a crazy premium. 

This must be one of the most expensive distribution cartridge sales. I know whenever Michina (EUR) Arceus shows up, it sells for more, and the Japanese Strongest cartridge sold for more, but even the Victini Liberty Garden cartridge which rarely comes up, usually sells for a little less then this, and the Y90P cartridge (one of the last discovered distribtuion cartriges, with some of the fewest known to have survived to present day) sells for less (albeit Y90P has two semi-equivolent cartridges, with another european version of the shiny creation trio, and an american version of the shiny creation trio). This particular sale just seemed kinda crazy to me. What are the values of each of these cartridges? It feels like of the 27 or so cartridges from North America and Europe, almost half of them are too rare to value.

Edited by Fluff

• The title was changed to Pokemon Secret Key Distribution - $1,500 USD Sold Listing?
  • 1 month later...
  • Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah I saw that too and was surprised seeing I do own a couple of extras myself I kept for trading. It definitely has to do with it being uncut and original. It seems like there are a lot more collectors for these carts now and with so many of those restored and unoriginal ones flooding the market, it makes it that harder to find it original.  If you have kept track on Keldeo, even that one is going up and there are so many of those out there that I remember were going for $50.

From my experience though, Secret Key is actually very rare to find it authentic. I have seen more Deoxys and Jirachi distributions than Secret Key. Most of the original ones are cut, but working. So the price is actually not surprising at all with what these carts are going for now. Plus collectors are not the ones buying the restored ones anyways.

Let me tell you I am so glad I got some of those super rare ones like Shaymin and Arceus before this jump lol! I know Shaymin USA sold for around $1700 in a last auction so now it would probably be worth a lot more.

Edited by Skorp

21 hours ago, Skorp said:

Yeah I saw that too and was surprised seeing I do own a couple of extras myself I kept for trading. It definitely has to do with it being uncut and original. It seems like there are a lot more collectors for these carts now and with so many of those restored and unoriginal ones flooding the market, it makes it that harder to find it original.  If you have kept track on Keldeo, even that one is going up and there are so many of those out there that I remember were going for $50.

From my experience though, Secret Key is actually very rare to find it authentic. I have seen more Deoxys and Jirachi distributions than Secret Key. Most of the original ones are cut, but working. So the price is actually not surprising at all with what these carts are going for now. Plus collectors are not the ones buying the restored ones anyways.

Let me tell you I am so glad I got some of those super rare ones like Shaymin and Arceus before this jump lol! I know Shaymin USA sold for around $1700 in a last auction so now it would probably be worth a lot more.

These are all great points, and condition is definately king. Its too bad that some of these carts are so hard to come by, undamaged at least. As a collector I wish I had an undamaged dragonite cartridge, as I own all the rest undamaged (well all of the ones I own are undamaged, I'm still missing one or two). 

Secret Key is definately a hard one to find, but you are right about it being one of the more rare ones to find undamaged. Shaymin/Regigigas is another of those that I think I've hardly ever seen undamaged. 

All of the distribution carts have definately been slowly going up, but it had been a while since we've see an auction for some of the undamaged carts. I have a feeling it would be hard to estimate the values of many of these carts now, but obviously the multiplier for an undamaged cartridge matters quite a lot for collectors.

• 2 months later...
On 10/28/2022 at 7:24 AM, Fluff said:

These are all great points, and condition is definately king. Its too bad that some of these carts are so hard to come by, undamaged at least. As a collector I wish I had an undamaged dragonite cartridge, as I own all the rest undamaged (well all of the ones I own are undamaged, I'm still missing one or two). 

Secret Key is definately a hard one to find, but you are right about it being one of the more rare ones to find undamaged. Shaymin/Regigigas is another of those that I think I've hardly ever seen undamaged. 

All of the distribution carts have definately been slowly going up, but it had been a while since we've see an auction for some of the undamaged carts. I have a feeling it would be hard to estimate the values of many of these carts now, but obviously the multiplier for an undamaged cartridge matters quite a lot for collectors.

I am sure you saw the recent sale of Arceus for $4,500 right? I talked to the seller and buyer paid. HOLY CRAP.

So I just confirmed myself what I was thinking before that there are dozens upon dozens of collectors now for distribution carts and listed Secret Egg a few days ago for $789 thinking there is no way it will sell and I started to get a ton of offers. Secret Egg used to go for $40 IN AUCTION. Around 9 people then messaged me asking for other distribution carts overwhelming me. I'm still stunned right now.

Now I have realized I'll probably have to fork a ton of money for Dragonite or hope to trade Areceus for it. I know you are also only missing Dragonite still right?

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/14/2023 at 4:10 PM, Skorp said:

I am sure you saw the recent sale of Arceus for $4,500 right? I talked to the seller and buyer paid. HOLY CRAP.

So I just confirmed myself what I was thinking before that there are dozens upon dozens of collectors now for distribution carts and listed Secret Egg a few days ago for $789 thinking there is no way it will sell and I started to get a ton of offers. Secret Egg used to go for $40 IN AUCTION. Around 9 people then messaged me asking for other distribution carts overwhelming me. I'm still stunned right now.

Now I have realized I'll probably have to fork a ton of money for Dragonite or hope to trade Arceus for it. I know you are also only missing Dragonite still right?

The buyer paid 4,500 for Arceus US?! Wow. it was relisted three times, the auctions were definately shill bid, so I'm not convinced its truly worth that much (certainly worth far less), but the fact that someone still paid that much does show... these can get to the level of MTG cards or sealed games or the like (though the niche is too small IMO). 

I remember the days I listed a secret egg for $55 and it would not sell, I had to unlist it! I do often see other people messaging me asking for other distribution cartridges too, but I still have to wonder how niche it is, when people buy those fake "ultimate" distribution carts that are flash carts or just hack the events on, and its functionally no different to owning the real cartridges.

Regretably I still am missing Dragonite (I have one thats damaged but that's all) and Arceus EU (yikes, that will be expensive). People never seem to want to trade these cartridges.

Whoever that shill bidder was on the USA Arceus (def was the seller himself, in my estimation), certainly just caused a huge price spike. And since Arceus (even Arceus USA) comes up so rarely, buyers may be stuck with that long term, not just short term.

EDIT: I used the wayback machine to archive the $1,500 Secret Key cart that (I thought) went for a crazy price. Should I archive the recent USA Arceus sales? Might be useful to look back at the phony shill bids and price points, if it so happens that another auctions comes up publically.

Edited by Fluff