IGNORED

Anyone have a Blockbuster Rental case for Sega Genesis games? Mind posting photos?

RH

I actually tried to search these on eBay, but I can't find any.  What were Blockbuster rental game cases like in the early 90s for the Genesis?  Did they actually just use the game cases back then since they were clamshells?

Anyway, if you have any Blockbuster cases for Genesis games, I'd appreciate some photos.  Thanks.

Edited by RH

Moderator · Posted

Interesting topic. I don't think they had any blockbuster version. Genesis already came in a clamshell, so it would make sense that is what they used. They would slap a sticker with a bar code on it and rent it out. 

image.pngimage.png

I did find this one, but I'm not sure if it got in the yellow case until AFTER blockbuster sold it (direct link below)

image.png

Sega Genesis Green Dog The Beached Surfer Dude Game Blockbuster Rental 1992 | eBay

Hope this helps!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, fsped09 said:

Interesting topic. I don't think they had any blockbuster version. Genesis already came in a clamshell, so it would make sense that is what they used. They would slap a sticker with a bar code on it and rent it out. 

image.pngimage.png

I did find this one, but I'm not sure if it got in the yellow case until AFTER blockbuster sold it (direct link below)

image.png

Sega Genesis Green Dog The Beached Surfer Dude Game Blockbuster Rental 1992 | eBay

Hope this helps!

Ok, thanks.  This does help.

I mainly ask because I’d like to get some OG cases for my New Leaf/Game Factory carts.  I guess I need to look for some Jungle book and Monopoly cases with with Blockbuster stickers on them.

I also wonder what type of cases they used for those cartridges because something would definitely had to be printed per game. Back then, color printing would have been expensive, but maybe Sega just shipped official label inserts and cases, but I don’t know.  I remember these carts as a kid, but I legit have no recollection of what any of the BB rental cases looked like.

My hometown didn't get a blockbuster till the PS2/GameCube/Xbox era so I have a fuzzy memory going into the city blockbuster but the local places would use the original clamshell as the shelf holder, and a clear locked universal game case would be behind that you would take to the counter to rent/have them remove the plastic sensor bar.

I want to say that our Blockbuster definitely had rental cases for their Sega cartridges, as I can vaguely recall friends looking for certain titles when we'd go together to rent stuff and doing the old, "Oh man, they're out" when they pulled the actual case from in front of the spot where the game was kept.  However, as I didn't own a Genesis or Master system myself until much later, I didn't take a whole lot of notice of what those cases were.  I want to say that they simply used the same sort of non-branded small clamshells that they rented NES cartridges out of, but they might have just as easily let them rattle around inside a VHS clamshell.  Neat to see that some Blockbusters did rent out the actual Sega clamshells, although I imagine that would lead them to needing to replace them much sooner than they otherwise would have given how well people took care of rental cases.

Well, I've been sleuthing for various forms of data, and look what I found--a list of all Blockbuster locations at the time of BV filing for bankruptcy in 2011.  This is location with Store IDs.  I'm not sure if this is needed by anyone, but if I can decipher whether any of those labels on the carts contain store locations, that'd be really helpful to me.

https://www.kccllc.net/documents/1014997/1014997110326000000000002.pdf

• 3 months later...
12 hours ago, The Count said:

Yes, I've not seen that one but a bunch of others have popped up with labels.  I've found a couple with both a case label and a cartridge label with barcodes and numbers.  I need to catalog the numbers and check, but the store ID is encoded in both of these and it's a small gem to find a game in a case with matching numbers.

This might work with other games like NES titles and maybe some SNES titles, but I've not branched out past Genesis games yet.

I've not sure why I've made this a project, but I've geeked out a bit trying to figure out their label schema.  At a minimum, I hope that my work will help some find games or videos from their home-base BBVs.

• 1 month later...