IGNORED

2022 VGS NES Weekly Contest - Kickle Cubicle!

BeaIank

19 hours ago, Gloves said:

I considered making that harder for you this year but the last month or so was kinda rough for me time-wise.

Yeah, I saw you participate in the first three or four games in a row to start off the season and I was wondering how serious you were going to get, but then you suddenly disappeared from the contests.  You should definitely try and make some time for Silver Surfer in late July, though; that will be a great shooter to compete in...

1 hour ago, the_wizard_666 said:

Oh god, after 15 minutes of playing Galaxy 5000, my steering thumb is killing me.  How do y'all like this type of game?  It's bloody painful!

As @PIIpointed out, beta controls - no brainer. Turns this game into a pro am game with a jump button

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, the_wizard_666 said:

I'll try that.  Oddly enough, I've been playing Tecmo Basketball for the last hour and no pain whatsoever.  Probably just cuz I don't like racing games that much 😛

You fascinate me.

Just thinking about touching a controller connected to a console currently running T.B. makes me wanna spew simultaneously from multiple orifices.  

2 minutes ago, PII said:

You fascinate me.

Just thinking about touching a controller connected to a console currently running T.B. makes me wanna spew simultaneously from multiple orifices.  

It's really weird because I don't like basketball in general.  But right now I'm 56-1 with Golden State (not sure how I managed to lose to fucking Seattle, but whatever 😛).  The game's not bad, just takes a while to run through an 82 game season.  Then I'll probably continue working on Tecmo Cup Soccer as well...currently in the pool stage as the Tops, but there'll be a lot of grinding before I can progress further.  I've already run through three pool rounds without advancing.

But yeah, if there's one genre I could do without, it's racers.  Can't think of one that I've ever really liked.  A few are okay, but not anything I would play for fun, and most just plain bore me.

20 minutes ago, the_wizard_666 said:

It's really weird because I don't like basketball in general.  But right now I'm 56-1 with Golden State (not sure how I managed to lose to fucking Seattle, but whatever 😛).  The game's not bad, just takes a while to run through an 82 game season.  Then I'll probably continue working on Tecmo Cup Soccer as well...currently in the pool stage as the Tops, but there'll be a lot of grinding before I can progress further.  I've already run through three pool rounds without advancing.

But yeah, if there's one genre I could do without, it's racers.  Can't think of one that I've ever really liked.  A few are okay, but not anything I would play for fun, and most just plain bore me.

That is weird.  Maybe I misunderstood at the time or something but I thought somebody here said that you were nuts about Basketball?  Like you had basketball stuff all over your home and all?  Anyway, what I remember about that one is a lot of slow flickering guys who don't do anything to help the team win.  That and no way to actually aim the ball, just press button, release at height of jump and hope it goes in...  I will def. be playing some more Tecmo Cup Soccer at some point though.  There's something that older Racing games and older spec. sports games have in common though.  The more accurately the developers attempted to simulate the real thing and the more complex they tried to make it the less fun the game actually was.  That's why TCS is fun.  Thats why racers like G5K, pro-am, mario kart etc. are fun for almost anybody and games with titles like ("insert name of professional race car driver here's" Stock-Car-Danger-Doodle) are aimed more at folks who are big racing fans in real life and get off on how much it reminds them of that.  Sometimes those games work well, but too often not, in my experience.  And I'm referring here to vintage games, nothing hyper-realistic released in the last 15 years or so because I'm not familiar with those games.  Anywhoz, sometimes I feel like racing is in the blood for some people.  Some of us just need to do it, the same way a rabbit just needs to run, the same way a Cheetah just needs to run, like it's a part of our soul.  For me there're 3 kinds of racing games: the sim types, the battle types like the three I mentioned above and finally RACING games like WipEout and F-Zero.  If you wanna have quick fun, play the battle type.  If you wanna dedicate some time and really hone your skills play some WipEout.  VideoGame Racing doesn't get any more intense than WipEout.

1 minute ago, PII said:

That is weird.  Maybe I misunderstood at the time or something but I thought somebody here said that you were nuts about Basketball?  Like you had basketball stuff all over your home and all?

That was me 🙂  The one thing I forgot to mention is the tattoo he has of the NBA logo on his left forearm - it's pretty cool, so maybe wiz will post a pic if you ask him nicely.  But yeah, the guy lives, eats and breathes two things: video games and basketball...

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

That was me 🙂  The one thing I forgot to mention is the tattoo he has of the NBA logo on his left forearm - it's pretty cool, so maybe wiz will post a pic if you ask him nicely.  But yeah, the guy lives, eats and breathes two things: video games and basketball...

Yeah, see; here's the thing: he seems to both agree and disagree with you.  At any rate getting an NBA  tattoo seems like an inordinately extreme degree of dedication for someone who has declared: "I don't like basketball in general."

8 minutes ago, PII said:

Yeah, see; here's the thing: he seems to both agree and disagree with you.  At any rate getting an NBA  tattoo seems like an inordinately extreme degree of dedication for someone who has declared: "I don't like basketball in general."

I think he meant to say that he doesn't like basketball video games in general, since none of them can live up to the extraordinarily high standard he has for the sport...

16 minutes ago, PII said:

You clearly miss the sarcasm in his posts 😛  I really don't enjoy the sport.  Hockey and rugby are really the only sports I enjoy watching.  Anything else at best is indifference, and at worst is outright dislike.  While I don't loath basketball, I couldn't be arsed to give a fuck about the sport 😛

And for the record, the only tattoo I have on my left arm is a tribute to the girlfriend who passed away three years ago.  My forearms are entirely bare.

18 minutes ago, the_wizard_666 said:

You clearly miss the sarcasm in his posts 😛  I really don't enjoy the sport.  Hockey and rugby are really the only sports I enjoy watching.  Anything else at best is indifference, and at worst is outright dislike.  While I don't loath basketball, I couldn't be arsed to give a fuck about the sport 😛

Hey, why you gotta spoil all my fun... 😛   The thought of you giving a shit about basketball has had me rolling on the floor over here........  literally!!!

• Haha 1

@Dr. Morbis@the_wizard_666 Well I'm glad it only took us 10 posts to establish that Wiz does not in fact like basketball, does not have basketball shit all over his home and does not have an NBA tattoo.  We've also learned that PII is unlikely to detect Morbo sarcasm when its directed at Wiz whom he's never met in real life.

Wow!  Not detecting Morbo Sarcasm.  That's kinda like a geiger counter not noticing plutonium...

• Haha 2

On 6/13/2022 at 8:10 PM, PII said:
On 6/13/2022 at 8:06 PM, BeaIank said:

Unless there is a password to start after Mars so people can play 4 races and end in less than 30 minutes, we doing the 4 first races.

IIRC that would be extremely awkward to no good at all because It'll start you with the first ship and no one is getting past Jupiter without the 3rd ship.

Checked last night.  Looks like you can select any ship.....

2 hours ago, the_wizard_666 said:

So I tried it again, and the Beta control is even worse than the Alpha controls.  I think I'll just stick to Alpha.  But man, do I suck at the game.

Ok, here's my new suggestion for you.  Spend some time each day playing R.C. Pro-Am.  Just get used to going fast and turning left and right a lot.  Once you feel like you've kinda got the hang, go back to G5K on Beta controls.

15 hours ago, PII said:

Ok, here's my new suggestion for you.  Spend some time each day playing R.C. Pro-Am.  Just get used to going fast and turning left and right a lot.  Once you feel like you've kinda got the hang, go back to G5K on Beta controls.

Well, I'm not too keen on RC Pro Am either, so that won't help much.  Honestly, I don't mind the Alpha controls, it seems more natural for me.  It's just the wear and tear on my thumb is much worse than I thought it'd be.

34 minutes ago, the_wizard_666 said:

Well, I'm not too keen on RC Pro Am either, so that won't help much.  Honestly, I don't mind the Alpha controls, it seems more natural for me.  It's just the wear and tear on my thumb is much worse than I thought it'd be.

I feel like Bill McNeil having a Mathew conversation 8:39 - 8:49.

On 6/13/2022 at 9:57 PM, PII said:

@NESfiend  I just finished Mars at about 650,000 + 215,000 so the first round goes to you.  But I had a few bad races since I was trying to pull off some more difficult maneuvers with sometimes yay and sometimes nay results, so I'd say we have a competition s,,o far... 🙂 

Finally got to play some more today and I didnt get close to my first score. The more you practice, the more aggressive you get and mistakes cost a lot more than good play rewards. Props to @BeaIankfor starting this one on Father's day. 

• The topic was unpinned