IGNORED

2022 VGS NES Weekly Contest - Kickle Cubicle!

BeaIank

31 minutes ago, BeaIank said:

Play till you beat Race 4 (Mars). Highest score + highest money wins.

With a whole week off beforehand, I sincerely hope we're going to be playing the whole game come Sunday...  All the best stuff happens after Mars...

Also, anyone who sits this one out will be missing out on one of the True Greats of the NES Library.  This one is Wicked-Space-Fun!

Events Team · Posted
3 minutes ago, PII said:

With a whole week off beforehand, I sincerely hope we're going to be playing the whole game come Sunday...  All the best stuff happens after Mars...

Also, anyone who sits this one out will be missing out on one of the True Greats of the NES Library.  This one is Wicked-Space-Fun!

Playing the whole games takes too much time.
Unless there is a password to start after Mars so people can play 4 races and end in less than 30 minutes, we doing the 4 first races.

1 minute ago, BeaIank said:

Unless there is a password to start after Mars so people can play 4 races and end in less than 30 minutes, we doing the 4 first races.

IIRC that would be extremely awkward to no good at all because It'll start you with the first ship and no one is getting past Jupiter without the 3rd ship.

Events Team · Posted

That is sad.
Alas, I understand why one would love to play the whole game, but time is an issue for people who been playing and participation levels have been really low lately.
I gotta make it easy and fast for people to get their scores.

1 minute ago, BeaIank said:

Alas, I understand why one would love to play the whole game, but time is an issue for people who been playing and participation levels have been really low lately.
I gotta make it easy and fast for people to get their scores.

Yeah, I get that.  But I wanted to throw it out there at least...

10 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

Man, Im kind of with @PII, especially since its the only racer. Reality is Pii and I will probably be the only ones who get into this regardless of rules. I say we reserve until the regulars all weigh in. I bet morbus and wiz will be up for trying to get thru it. 

I'll accept whatever the rules are since I like participating every week, but I do believe that having contests with hour+ runs does inhibit a lot of people from wanting to participate.

I personally like short takes where you can try something over and over in like fifteen minutes or less per run.  The Batman contest last year is a great example: it can be speedrun in like sixteen minutes with some practice, and you're still experiencing the whole game.  Or one-life contests where you do as well as you can on a difficult game until you die; that's my jam....

10 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

I'll accept whatever the rules are since I like participating every week, but I do believe that having contests with hour+ runs does inhibit a lot of people from wanting to participate.

I personally like short takes where you can try something over and over in like fifteen minutes or less per run.  The Batman contest last year is a great example: it can be speedrun in like sixteen minutes with some practice, and you're still experiencing the whole game.  Or one-life contests where you do as well as you can on a difficult game until you die; that's my jam....

Lol well so much for the assist. Should have known better. Play it for a day or two and see if you dont change your mind. Im usually for short contests as well, but we got 2 weeks and this is a masterpiece. It also has a pause button. Not being sarcastic, some racers dont. I was planning on doing runs in more than one session. Two or 3 short sessions gets it done

1 hour ago, NESfiend said:

Lol well so much for the assist. Should have known better. Play it for a day or two and see if you dont change your mind. Im usually for short contests as well, but we got 2 weeks and this is a masterpiece. It also has a pause button. Not being sarcastic, some racers dont. I was planning on doing runs in more than one session. Two or 3 short sessions gets it done

Hey, I'm not doubting it's a great game, in fact, I'm expecting it, and I'll probably be wanting to beat it once I actually have a go at it and see how good it is; I'm just saying that "beat this hour+ long game if you can" win conditions are not ideal for contests, especially weekly ones with shorter time constraints, and doubly so if you're trying to encourage casuals to participate with relatively unknown titles...

Just saying 😛

8 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Hey, I'm not doubting it's a great game, in fact, I'm expecting it, and I'll probably be wanting to beat it once I actually have a go at it and see how good it is; I'm just saying that "beat this hour+ long game if you can" win conditions are not ideal for contests, especially weekly ones with shorter time constraints, and doubly so if you're trying to encourage casuals to participate with relatively unknown titles...

Just saying 😛

Kickle took me an hour-and-a-half each time I managed to play through the whole thing.  Also, just saying...

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, PII said:

Kickle took me an hour-and-a-half each time I managed to play through the whole thing.  Also, just saying...

....And that is exactly why I only got three runs in: 570k, 1.8m, and my final 3 mill score; if it was something I could do in like twenty minutes, I would've popped into the game room many more times throughout the week.  Granted, it was a busy week for me, but I'm just saying that the ruleset can and does make a big difference to some of us...

8 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

....And that is exactly why I only got three runs in: 570k, 1.8m, and my final 3 mill score; if it was something I could do in like twenty minutes, I would've popped into the game room many more times throughout the week.  Granted, it was a busy week for me, but I'm just saying that the ruleset can and does make a big difference to some of us...

Now I kinda want to start a full on protest for longer game duration under the banner:

¡MAKE MORBO WORK FOR IT!

😉 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, PII said:

Now I kinda want to start a full on protest for longer game duration under the banner:

¡MAKE MORBO WORK FOR IT!

😉 

Funny thing is, I can get second place overall this year without lifting a finger, but - because of you - if I want to get first place overall, I actually will have to work for it!  Hmmm.... decisions, decisions... 🤔

• Haha 1

Administrator · Posted
54 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Funny thing is, I can get second place overall this year without lifting a finger, but - because of you - if I want to get first place overall, I actually will have to work for it!  Hmmm.... decisions, decisions... 🤔

I considered making that harder for you this year but the last month or so was kinda rough for me time-wise.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

I'm sure if you didn't wait until Sunday to play every week, you might actually kill some of these games 😛