IGNORED

2022 VGS NES Weekly Contest - Kickle Cubicle!

BeaIank

Events Team · Posted

Ladies and gentlemen, the terror of 2017, who brought naught but nightmares and terror to Nintendo Land is back.

I apologize to all of you for bringing such terrible curse back, but it is time for the dreaded Kickle Cubicle to raise from it's terrible slumber and terrorize these lands once more.

Here are the rules you have to follow to escape this terrible night to have a curse:

• Play until you have no extra lives remaining (no Kickle faces are present in the upper-righthand corner of the screen). In other words, your run ends when you have only 1 life left.
  • Secure your score before going into a boss battle.  You cannot see your score or lives remaining while fighting a boss.
  • Any sort of extra lives loops (getting a 1-up, dying, and repeating the process) will be forbidden
  • If you are able to make it to the final boss battle on one continue, secure your score before going into the fight (you earn no points for boss battles)
  • Playing the special rounds is not allowed
  • Highest score wins
  • Participation: 500,000
  • GENRE: Puzzle

The contest ends Sunday, 06/12/22 at 11 pm EST.  Your user name should be written or typed on a piece of paper and be in the picture for your score to be valid. For speed runs that require video, that is not required.  The entire TV screen, or computer monitor if you are playing on an emulator, MUST be in the picture for the score to be valid.  No partial screenshots will be considered or accepted.  No screenshots by hitting "print screen" on a computer will be allowed.  You must take a picture of your computer monitor.  There may be instances where this will be acceptable, but it will be at the discretion of myself and the contest organizers.  Also, the use of turbo controllers is forbidden, as well as any cheat codes, Game Genies, slow motion functions, or save states if playing on an emulator.  Also, we will only be using NTSC systems for the contests.  The use of PAL systems will NOT be allowed.  Good luck everyone and have fun.

• Love 1

20220605_234704.jpg.a65ffcdf9dce9d095a3960666499d986.jpg

Another slight improvement before bed.  Got a couple levels further along, but my score was weaker this round compared to the last one, so I didn't get as much as I feel I could have by this point.  That said, I feel like the 2 million mark isn't gonna be far away at this point.

A slight improvement.  Ran through faster, giving me more points, killed the boss and got a couple levels in, but those bombs don't fuck around!  Really dig the game overall though, definitely a winner!

A solid first effort.  Sadly, my run ended on the first boss.  I haven't played this since I was a kid, and it's just as fun as I remember, although it's also a lot easier than I recall as well.  Still, I'm digging this, and am super happy to be given an excuse to fire it up again!

Edited by the_wizard_666

7 hours ago, BeaIank said:

I went with the 2017 rules, but if you guys prefer a faster run, I can change it to 1 life.

I'm in favour of keeping it all-life 2017 rules, but that's me.  It's long, but its just a long game no matter what- total practicing and playtime might even be longer on 1-life especially if anyone's able to 1-life it or come really close, because you'd have to keep sinking time into lower levels to learn it perfect

• Like 1

I'm with @Krunch here.  The game isn't like Contra or anything where there needs to be a handicap.  My only question is why we have to stop with one life remaining when we could just take a picture of the game over screen (it shows your score at that point, so we wouldn't have to take a picture before the boss that way), but otherwise I like it.  Plus it is very possible to have a few dumb deaths along the way, and in a game this long, the spare cushion is appreciated.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, the_wizard_666 said:

I'm with @Krunch here.  The game isn't like Contra or anything where there needs to be a handicap.  My only question is why we have to stop with one life remaining when we could just take a picture of the game over screen (it shows your score at that point, so we wouldn't have to take a picture before the boss that way), but otherwise I like it.  Plus it is very possible to have a few dumb deaths along the way, and in a game this long, the spare cushion is appreciated.

It might be to see progress to make sure players are not point pressing via 1up loop. These rules originated from prior contests where that may have been a possibility. I doubt the small group of people who still participates in the contests would do that.

6 hours ago, mbd39 said:

It might be to see progress to make sure players are not point pressing via 1up loop. These rules originated from prior contests where that may have been a possibility. I doubt the small group of people who still participates in the contests would do that.

That actually makes a lot of sense.  There's room for variance with the occasional death here and there, but there really isn't THAT much room, at least early on, so I can see that being a consideration for sure.  Although I noticed there's not many points to be had on most levels with one-ups, so point pressing on those levels would probably be more tedious than it's worth anyway.

5 hours ago, NESfiend said:

Wheres that @SuperJimtendodude? Pretty sure hes a fan of this one...

Says he was last online two months ago.  It'd be a shame if he missed it...

4 hours ago, Gloves said:

Hey I know this game! 

Does that mean you're gonna play?  Let's see some more participation!