IGNORED

50 Years of Video Games in Movies, TV and Music

2 hours ago, Link said:

I wouldn't guess so, I just grabbed my phone to get pictures of the TV in the unexpected moment. But you can be the judge, if you like them they're yours. 

D23D751C-CFF8-474C-8FE5-E0CA44721B55.jpeg

ACA4CEA0-49B8-408C-88A6-2369B3688CD1.jpeg

63272118-306C-4515-A48D-E7A6136C3F6A.jpeg

64A568B7-AB59-43E7-A3D3-51AC132AA141.jpeg

Looks better to me! I'll put them on my local list, I'm not sure how soon I'll update the post but it'll be there when I do

• Like 1

7 hours ago, elprincipe said:

Maybe I missed them on the list, but Family Guy had Tecmo Bowl and Double Dribble footage:

Nice!! I totally didn't come across this one. I'll add it for the next edit. There's a couple other cartoon episodes I have to get to, Futurama Raiders of the Lost Arcade and South Park Imaginationland has some video game characters. I just wanted to get this list public because I'd been holding onto it for long enough lol

Edited by mideast
  • Like 2

On 6/2/2022 at 12:27 PM, mideast said:

Did you know TurboGrafx-16 gameplay was featured on an episode of the Muppet Babies?

Which episode??

EDIT: Season 7 episode 1. Looks like they're playing the TG-16 port of Fantasy Zone.

Edited by Gex
Found it

1 hour ago, Gex said:

Which episode??

EDIT: Season 7 episode 1. Looks like they're playing the TG-16 port of Fantasy Zone.

Yup the episode is called It's Only Pretendo. They were being conscious of the major role video games were having in children's lives and started the season off with the babies playfully fighting over which games to play on their TV. They also play Keith Courage in the episode

Graphics Team · Posted

Amazing list, @mideast!

My favorite video game references in media are audio samples in music.
Two of my favorites are the Street Fighter II Turbo "Round 1: Fight!!" at the end of Demons With Ryu by Emmure and the Super Mario Bros. sample in Corey Feldman Holocaust by iwrestledabearonce.

-CasualCart

35 minutes ago, CasualCart said:

Amazing list, @mideast!

My favorite video game references in media are audio samples in music.
Two of my favorites are the Street Fighter II Turbo "Round 1: Fight!!" at the end of Demons With Ryu by Emmure and the Super Mario Bros. sample in Corey Feldman Holocaust by iwrestledabearonce.

-CasualCart

Thanks Casual!!

Whoa, you got me there, I'm not familiar with those artists. I'll check them out. Hmm I have a few audio samples in hip hop, do you like just the vocal samples, or music/sound fx too?

The Super Mario Bros. beat for Cocoa Brovaz Super Brooklyn is, in my opinion, the best flip of the sample. Sounds like they loaded every cool SMB sound effect/background music into an MPC and pushed the buttons in the most sonically pleasing way lol. Kanye West FACTS has more SFII vocal samples. Madvillain (MF Doom & Madlib) Do Not Fire! has SFII vocal samples too. Cage Grand ol' Party Crash has those eerie vocal samples from the Sinistar arcade game.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I might have another one not on the list, but it's up to you and your call @mideast

A John Hughes film, Career Opportunities, was almost entirely filmed in a 1990s Target.  I couldn't spot much but I wasn't paying much attention, either when it was playing.  Regardless, here's a screen cap with NES organizers stacked in the sore.  The characters are around the electronics department multiple times through the film, so I might have missed something else that was definitely a console or a game.  The NES, Genesis and Game Boy should all be lurking around there, some where.

FYI, this movie didn't rate well, and with good reason--it's not great.  However, in 2022 it's a really fun watch because this isn't a pretend Target, but a legit one I assume they "rented" for a couple of week, probably before it was open to the public.  It's fully stocked with goods and pure 80s/90s nostalgia!

John Hughes was so embarrassed by this film, he actually wanted to have his name taken off of it but Universal refused because Home Alone was such a hit, they thought his name would sell it.  Poor John Hughes.

image.png.36654c295365208f7df97bec79111fd2.png

• Like 3

• 7 months later...
On 6/3/2022 at 8:25 AM, mideast said:

1WlVMA5_d.webp?maxwidth=760&fidelity=grand

Does anybody recognize this side art from The Terminator (1984)? People in other lists have said its Asteroids, but I haven't found any cabinets that look like that online. Maybe it's a smaller space game I haven't come across.

‼️ Truly looks familiar but I can't place it. I will try to remember to look for it when I go to arcades. 

On 6/9/2022 at 11:51 AM, mideast said:

and I guess NewsRadio is on FuboTV? Which I don't have lol. 

I just watch it on a broadcast channel I recieve with a literal antenna. Channel 9.4 RewindTV here.

not sure if i'm getting the point of the list correctly,
but here's 4 missing ones i don't see on there yet.

- Police Academy 7 - Mission to Moscow (1994)

has of course the use of the original Game Boy

- The Nanny season 2 - episode 1 Fran-Lite (1994)

2:20 min into the episode, Niles the butler references the Nintendo
starting at 6:27 min into the episode, when the character of Brighton is in his room with Fran, you can see a few boxed NES games on his desk (with Dr Mario laying on top and some black box games underneath)

Murder, She Wrote TV Movie - South By Southwest (1997)

an original Game Boy is used in the story

Space Jam - A New Legacy (2021)

in the 1998 flashback at the start of the movie, an original Game Boy is used

Edited by Friendsfa35
  • Like 4

On 6/3/2022 at 9:25 AM, mideast said:

1WlVMA5_d.webp?maxwidth=760&fidelity=grand

Does anybody recognize this side art from The Terminator (1984)? People in other lists have said its Asteroids, but I haven't found any cabinets that look like that online. Maybe it's a smaller space game I haven't come across.

Also, Teen Wolf purportedly has a Centipede in it but I have to watch the whole movie through to find it 😄 couldn't find it scrubbing

This is the kind of mystery that needs a bump. It's close in concept to Time Pilot, but the art is different. It's gotta be a shooter, right? Anyone?

Edited by DoctorEncore
  • Agree 1

• 1 month later...

Here's a show that mercifully didn't get picked up for production, called Dog Police. In the pilot episode the character Ollie plays with a Game Boy instead of paying attention to briefing, starting at 4:06 in this clip:
https://youtu.be/x1bfFNojAvI

C1C625B6-EF94-43A8-BC94-A8FBC448A1E0.jpeg

and Adam Sandler has it at 7:49

IMG_0948.jpeg

Edited by Link
  • Like 3
  • Wow! 1

@mideast Great list!!

I have a few more that I'm not sure made your cut.... 

TV Show:

2003 - Clone High Ep. 10 – Litter Kills: Literally – JFK plays Game Boy, and references killing Mario. Abe (I think?) also says a line something along the lines of "The only Game this boy is playing is with your heart!"

Songs:

2001 – Lady Marmalade – Christina Aguilera, L’il Kim, P!nk, & Mya. L’il Kim says “Disagree? Well that’s you and I’m sorry. Imma keep playin’ these cats out like Atari.” Christina comes in and sings “Atari” with L’il Kim and in shown doing this in the video.

2016 - Video Games – Classified. Samples Double Dragon, NBA Jam, and others for the beat. There are video game references throughout lyrics in entire song bas well. Ex. “Everyday I’m gettin’ stoned like a Tanooki costume, bro!”

This is one of my favourite rap lines ever, haha. It's amazing for so many different reasons. 

Edited by AirVillain
  • Like 1

@RH @Reed Rothchild @Link @Friendsfa35 @AirVillain

Guys, rest assured I will be adding your submissions to the list at some point!! And I appreciate the enthusiasm! Just have been preoccupied with work, home life, etc. This is still a passion of mine that I haven't gotten around to updating in a while. Believe me, this time last year I was working on this non-stop. And there's of course a huge addition to list, a little film called "The Super Mario Bros. Movie" which ended up becoming the most financially successful video game adaptation EVER in less than a month! Lol (no spoilers, haven't watched it yet).

But seriously, this list and other lists I've done on VGS mean a lot to me. Feel free to list more additions you come across and I will get them added eventually.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

15 hours ago, mideast said:

@RH @Reed Rothchild @Link @Friendsfa35 @AirVillain

Guys, rest assured I will be adding your submissions to the list at some point!! And I appreciate the enthusiasm! Just have been preoccupied with work, home life, etc. This is still a passion of mine that I haven't gotten around to updating in a while. Believe me, this time last year I was working on this non-stop. And there's of course a huge addition to list, a little film called "The Super Mario Bros. Movie" which ended up becoming the most financially successful video game adaptation EVER in less than a month! Lol (no spoilers, haven't watched it yet).

But seriously, this list and other lists I've done on VGS mean a lot to me. Feel free to list more additions you come across and I will get them added eventually.

All gravy, baby!

You're killing it! This list is amazing. I'm sure everyone here understands about work/life. 

I just updated my post with the song "Video Games", for others and easy access for you. It's literally all video game references creating double entendres. I know you're busy, but give it a listen just for fun! 

Are you going to itemize ALL the references in the SMB Movie??? Hahaha.... uhhhh.... the entire thing? 

5 hours ago, AirVillain said:

All gravy, baby!

You're killing it! This list is amazing. I'm sure everyone here understands about work/life. 

I just updated my post with the song "Video Games", for others and easy access for you. It's literally all video game references creating double entendres. I know you're busy, but give it a listen just for fun! 

Are you going to itemize ALL the references in the SMB Movie??? Hahaha.... uhhhh.... the entire thing? 

Thank you!! Lol no I'm just adding it as a reference to the original intellectual property, Super Mario Bros for NES in 1985. Movies entirely based on games I add that way, like the Super Mario Bros, Double Dragon, Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat films from the 90s. Unless there's more references to other SMB games in the movie? Like I said, I haven't watched it yet. I know in the Double Dragon movie there's a scene where they're fighting around arcade games and I caught the titles of a few of the cabinets and put them as references.

• Love 1

2 hours ago, Koopa64 said:

Are there any appearances of the N64 documented on this article, not mentioned in your list?

http://micro-64.com/features/n64intv.shtml

Wow pretty much all of them are needed on my list, except for the Sopranos one I already had! The 40 Year Old Virgin One I've seen, but I think they're playing a Mortal Kombat game from after 2000. Nice additions!!

• Like 1

On 4/16/2023 at 1:23 PM, mideast said:

Thank you!! Lol no I'm just adding it as a reference to the original intellectual property, Super Mario Bros for NES in 1985. Movies entirely based on games I add that way, like the Super Mario Bros, Double Dragon, Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat films from the 90s. Unless there's more references to other SMB games in the movie? Like I said, I haven't watched it yet. I know in the Double Dragon movie there's a scene where they're fighting around arcade games and I caught the titles of a few of the cabinets and put them as references.

No Spoilers. 😉

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Couple more for @mideast 😎👍

1997 -  The Slim Shady EP - Murder Murder - Eminem

"Actin' like they ain't never seen nobody hit a lick before. Smashed a window, grabbed the Nintendo 64. When they sell out in stores the price triples." SONG HERE

2011 - Hell: The Sequel - I'm on Everything - Eminem & Royce Da 5'9"

"Me and Vicious on shrooms. Call us the Mario Brothers."

EDITED: 

Sorry... the first reference for "Murder, Murder" was from The Slim Shady EP, and first released in 1997. (Not 1999, and on the Next Friday Soundtrack like previously noted)

Edited by AirVillain
  • Love 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...