IGNORED

2022 VGS NES Weekly Contest - Road Runner!

BeaIank

I'm actually digging this one, good 1-life challenge, Wil E. does some pretty funny shit so far as I've seen.  The snake shaped paths are very looney tunes.  I like it when games give a good attempt to deliver on the theme, instead of just taking a character and making it a platformer or whatever.  Might follow this attempt up tomorrow, level 3 seems easier than level 2?

• Agree 1

16 hours ago, Krunch said:

I'm actually digging this one, good 1-life challenge, Wil E. does some pretty funny shit so far as I've seen.  The snake shaped paths are very looney tunes.  I like it when games give a good attempt to deliver on the theme, instead of just taking a character and making it a platformer or whatever.  Might follow this attempt up tomorrow, level 3 seems easier than level 2?

So I was watching the 1st Roadrunner Cartoon last night, titled: "Beep Beep!", saw this about half way through and thought, yeah, that looks familiar...

¡Beep Beep!.png

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Heh, you needn't have worried; you won it with your first score of the week. PII takes home yet another Gold!

Yeah, it should not be as easy as my first score of the week.  This is a great 1-life contest game.  I was hoping to break 5HK + 3 loops but it's REAL easy to make one little slip up in this one long after git'n gud.

Wonder when everyone's gonna get back from Vacation...

51 minutes ago, PII said:

Yeah, it should not be as easy as my first score of the week.  This is a great 1-life contest game.  I was hoping to break 5HK + 3 loops but it's REAL easy to make one little slip up in this one long after git'n gud.

Wonder when everyone's gonna get back from Vacation...

For us Canadians, our holiday was last weekend, but I had a wedding and reception to attend this weekend, so my time was severely restricted; and I know you 'Muricans are right in the middle of your Memorial Day weekend right now.

I guess we'll find out if a ribald game of Soccer can bring people back into the fold...

33 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

I guess we'll find out if a ribald game of Soccer can bring people back into the fold...

Maybe I'll inspire greater participation if I pledge to crush a beer can against my nads like a proper soccer-hooligan should double digits show up...

Edited by PII

Well, one last dose of game info:  With all 3 continues used I made it through 11 loops to Level 12-1 aka Level 45.

Tried posting a pic but pics are being denied tonight for whatever reason..  Seemed like Loop 5 was awfully similar to loop 3 so maybe this game ends/repeats after the 4th loop.  On the other hand it almost seemed to me like the program was mixing and matching the play-throughs after a while.  Maybe I've just been playing too long, but  level ""-4 was always from the 4th loop, never 3rd and occasionally I felt like I was seeing some irregular placement of mines/birdseed.. so I'm still not certain.  Someone would have to map out each one of these levels to be certain, or have an eidetic memory.  Anyway, after 11 play-throughs and 45 levels it was still going...

17 minutes ago, Krunch said:

Damn @PII you are killing it.  Thats a mind boggling score in my opinion I can't imagine staying alive thaat long.  It's so easy to get caught on an edge

Yeah, I remember being pretty irritated with that eventuality back when I started playing this one.  It seemed really unfair.  Overcoming it is def. partially in choosing your routes, but I got to a point this week where I felt like I had gained a facility for navigating pretty much any path fluidly and I guess that's just practice, practice, practice.

I used to think level 4 was tough but once you figure out what to do and what not to do it becomes the 2nd easiest level after level 1.  Level 3 is tough because it requires at least some memorization and failing that, quick reflexes w/precision to avoid Wile E.  Level 2 is probably close in difficulty on one side or the other to level 3 and one of the worst because of the Wile E. on a pogo-stick section.  It's only two things at once: watching Wile E. and watching your path wile hitting the bird seed, but its easy to get too into the latter, loose attention on Wile E. for a split second and then moving right into where he's about to jump.  And of course, he can jump over the sand which is a significant advantage to him.

I was thinking we probably haven't played many or any games like this here before since this is a Chase.  The only thing that comes to mind is Chase H.Q. in last years tournament, but that was only  4 of us and we played the roll of the Chaser rather than the chasee.  Lots of enemy manipulation either way...

Anyway, I'm glad someone besides myself enjoys this unique game!

41 minutes ago, PII said:

Yeah, I remember being pretty irritated with that eventuality back when I started playing this one.  It seemed really unfair.  Overcoming it is def. partially in choosing your routes, but I got to a point this week where I felt like I had gained a facility for navigating pretty much any path fluidly and I guess that's just practice, practice, practice.

I used to think level 4 was tough but once you figure out what to do and what not to do it becomes the 2nd easiest level after level 1.  Level 3 is tough because it requires at least some memorization and failing that, quick reflexes w/precision to avoid Wile E.  Level 2 is probably close in difficulty on one side or the other to level 3 and one of the worst because of the Wile E. on a pogo-stick section.  It's only two things at once: watching Wile E. and watching your path wile hitting the bird seed, but its easy to get too into the latter, loose attention on Wile E. for a split second and then moving right into where he's about to jump.  And of course, he can jump over the sand which is a significant advantage to him.

I was thinking we probably haven't played many or any games like this here before since this is a Chase.  The only thing that comes to mind is Chase H.Q. in last years tournament, but that was only  4 of us and we played the roll of the Chaser rather than the chasee.  Lots of enemy manipulation either way...

Anyway, I'm glad someone besides myself enjoys this unique game!

Oh yeah that path part was what always got me after that it wasnt too bad but despite many tries and small improvements I just couldnt get enough consistency to really make a great run.  I maybe just should have said F the bird seed on level 2 🤷🏻

Wil E. and his sprite are my favorite parts, he looks juuust off enough that it's a little bit creepy but mostly just funny.  Like there's long stretches where he's just creepin on you from behind like a dead-eyed canine zombie

Edited by Krunch

1 hour ago, Krunch said:

Oh yeah that path part was what always got me after that it wasnt too bad but despite many tries and small improvements I just couldnt get enough consistency to really make a great run.  I maybe just should have said F the bird seed on level 2 🤷🏻

Ya, my spot for deliberate skips on bird seed for this comp. would have been level 4 of loop 3.  There's 2 spots where the seed is directly between 2 land mines.  I can usually get it, but in a 1-life contest, no thanks.  Fortunately, missing 2 or 3 seeds is no problem.  Miss 5 and it's over.  In some cases missing 4 is a death sentence.

2 hours ago, Krunch said:

Wil E. and his sprite are my favorite parts, he looks juuust off enough that it's a little bit creepy but mostly just funny.  Like there's long stretches where he's just creepin on you from behind like a dead-eyed canine zombie

Lol. I'm a little surprised that I never thought of it that way before!  I had a buddy laughing pretty good over the weekend every time I got Wile E.  (Most times ever this week was 40x in one level - easier on later levels with lots of cars and land mines.)  Reminded me of playing Death Valley Rally on SNES which still makes me lol whenever I play it.  I got a feeling now, I'm going to be playing that one again real soon...

• The topic was unpinned