IGNORED

The Random Gaming Blurt Thread

guitarzombie

Use this thread if you have the urge to just blurt out something from any game you've been playing.  I decided to create this because I needed to get this off my chest.

Castlevania Adventures for Gameboy is freaking HORRIBLE!  Oh my god!  I know i've beat Belmonts Curse and Legends but I don't remember this one at all.  It wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't programmed terribly.  The hitboxes are off, not only are you slow but its laggy like Contra Force, drops inputs, removing your upgrades when you take damage (What?!) and all the one mistake and you're dead platforming sections?!  This game has TERRIBLE Gradiusitis.  I only had to beat it on the CV collection because no way am I slogging thru and memorizing every part of that game to not get hit and lose my upgrades.  Abysmal. 

I knew the game was slow, but I didn't know about all the other problems it had.  Yeesh.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Atomized said:

It's easily the worst castlevania by a country mile.  Likely why they made Castlevania adventure rebirth. I haven't played it but I assume it fixes a lot of the issues.

Oh i'll have to look it up.  Its such a shame cuz it is a bit boring looking but I give that a pass because it was an early release.  But the other stuff is almost inexcusable.  Its almost like they made the game really easy and in order to make it harder, they just made your movement terrible, otherwise it wouldn't be as challenging. 

@MrWunderful

I think I found a place to trap that stupid thing and cheap shot it, pretty sure I have a vague memory of that with EVO, but it has been about 8 years so...maybe?  It was the most annoying spot, but there are fixes, cheap as they are.

Each time you evolve it resets your HP.  So just store up a bunch of EVO points doing a little grinding, and everytime that cheap sob about kills you, evolve/de-evolve the horn or whatever and wash rinse repeat that shark fin soup victim to death.

2 hours ago, Tanooki said:

@MrWunderful

I think I found a place to trap that stupid thing and cheap shot it, pretty sure I have a vague memory of that with EVO, but it has been about 8 years so...maybe?  It was the most annoying spot, but there are fixes, cheap as they are.

Each time you evolve it resets your HP.  So just store up a bunch of EVO points doing a little grinding, and everytime that cheap sob about kills you, evolve/de-evolve the horn or whatever and wash rinse repeat that shark fin soup victim to death.

I saw that on youtube and tried it, but couldnt get it to work. He kept dodging my dash attack. I will have to give it another shot. Good advice, thanks. 

6 hours ago, Atomized said:

It's easily the worst castlevania by a country mile. 

Nah, I remember getting this one in 1997 or 1998 and I had a lot of fun with it.

The Metroidvania-style Castlevanias on GBA were easily some of the biggest dog turds I've ever played, and I used to have to scoop up dig shit before mowing the lawn.

• Disagree 3

10 hours ago, fcgamer said:

Nah, I remember getting this one in 1997 or 1998 and I had a lot of fun with it.

The Metroidvania-style Castlevanias on GBA were easily some of the biggest dog turds I've ever played, and I used to have to scoop up dig shit before mowing the lawn.

Oh you're confusing this thread with the 'bad takes' thread 🙂

• Agree 1

18 hours ago, Atomized said:

It's easily the worst castlevania by a country mile.  Likely why they made Castlevania adventure rebirth. I haven't played it but I assume it fixes a lot of the issues.

Adventure Rebirth is an amazing game (all of the Rebirth series, in fact). It's a damn shame that it seems like it's basically impossible to get anymore, since it was exclusively a WiiWare title. Konami needs to release all the Rebirth games in a collection for modern consumption because they are just wonderful and deserve to be played.

As for my random gaming blurt for the moment, I've been playing Conker's Bad Fur Day for the first time ever as part of the backlog challenge. There is some charm to it but, geez, I forgot how rough 3D platforming control can be on the N64. The camera seems fairly forgiving for a title of this era but gauging jumps and maneuvering around obstacles is still a pain. I also don't like games that gate progression behind "collect X special tokens" and I admit that when I hit those points and the game forces me to backtrack, my enthusiasm dips. I'm going to try to power through because I'm just curious to see what all the insane designers have come up with but it's proving to me more challenging to my attention span than I thought.

Edited by Webhead123

9 hours ago, Tulpa said:

@the_wizard_666 you forgot to switch accounts again. 😛

Actually, in this case I don't share his opinion.  I do think Castlevania: The Adventure is a steaming pile of dog turds, and I happen to prefer the Metroid style Castlevania games over anything that came before them.  So yeah, in this case I'm in agreement with the consensus (other than preferring Simon's Quest to any Castlevania before Symphony of the Night).

Another dumb one!  I was hanging out with friends playing some random NES stuff on emulator.  I played Kabuki Quantum Fighter (we all took turns) and its one of those games where it has those moving platforms that speed you up and slow you down.  My gripe was when the moving platform was slowing you down, when you jumped in air, it didn't make you move freely but like you were still on the platform!  It was super awkward and made for a lot of really annoying issues platforming.

Administrator · Posted
6 minutes ago, guitarzombie said:

Another dumb one!  I was hanging out with friends playing some random NES stuff on emulator.  I played Kabuki Quantum Fighter (we all took turns) and its one of those games where it has those moving platforms that speed you up and slow you down.  My gripe was when the moving platform was slowing you down, when you jumped in air, it didn't make you move freely but like you were still on the platform!  It was super awkward and made for a lot of really annoying issues platforming.

Amazing soundtrack on that one. 

1 hour ago, Gloves said:

Amazing soundtrack on that one. 

Yeah it was pretty good.  I own it but I don't remember if I beat it.  But aside from that issue I thought it was enjoyable.  My friend owned it as a kid and thats how I first heard of it years ago.  So I said "I don't remember this being that tough so lets try it".  The story to the game is also pretty batty as well haha

Kabuki Quantum Fighter was a really surprising little game and one I intend to revisit. I don't know what I was really expecting going it but it became one of those titles that I just had to see all the way to the end and I was not disappointed. I especially love little touches, like being able to trade life and weapon charges back and forth during boss fights. Super cool! Nice animations, great music, just a winner all around for me.