IGNORED

New guys/gals to the hobby 2020-present

1 hour ago, goldenpp72 said:

This has certainly not been my experience with anything in decent shape, the prices have never been higher and the amount of inventory to find is crippling.

You are not alone on price fatigue. Many people are which is why a bunch of overpriced stuff stays on the market for a long period of time.

The reality is many games exist that didn't circulate much and they likely will forever be impacted unless everyone who cares dies, it will vary based on the time and age of course, just, something like The Krion Conquest is likely never going to be inexpensive to find in reasonable shape because of the Mega Man like intrigue mixed with its obscurity.

I agree that a game like The Krion Conquest and games with some form of rarity will never be super cheap again cause those are the games people want for a decent price. Not many people are going to want to spend $150 for that game. Many people are priced out of the market.

I'd definitely need to see graphs of the downtrend because I've not stopped in 14 years and am trying to get out ASAP due to price fatigue. While there may not be as many people chasing them, the amount of remaining inventory is also very low, this becoming a different trend might take 10-20 years and most of us aren't willing to 'hold out' that long.

This comes down to seeing the same stuff available over and over again for months especially on gaming website. Pretty much people have what they need. If you are referring to stuff locally things are very limited anyway cause many of the stores that have stuff still want market value and the old fashion way of getting cheap stuff like yard sales, swap meets, and goodwill sell it at bargain price to sell quick or goes directly online and not not available for a bargain price at all. Example I walked in a video game store and for the past year they had the same retro games all over priced. Nothing really changed. No new stock. When you price a game like Super Mario Bros. 2 at $39.99 + tax there will be no buyers.

At most I've noted some systems have 'leveled off' or rather, some games hit their ceiling and aren't changing much, so your Little Samsons or Haganes might not be increasing in value because they are already obscene, but there are other future games that will likely reach ridiculous territory as soon as the variables align, which is kind of always how it's been.

Yeah the rare ones have seem to level off right now. They won't go back down to more reasonable price unless people want to move them to make some quick money. Once a person gets hundreds or even thousands of dollars for a game it probably will never change cause seller can just wait and sit on it. Unless like you brought up earlier someone dies which I have had some situations where I bought out NES/SNES/Genesis/Gameboy gaming collections from family members of the deceased.

How many games have increased drastically only to trend down a lot that weren't based on some kind of relevant boom, such as Pokemon Go or a recent media release that might pique interest?

Not many I seen Kobe Bryant games, Madden Games, Ali boxing game just to name a few which increased in value due to death but eventually have gone down. Madden is still up there for say a complete copy for the original Madden. Michael Jackson's Moonwalker is the only one I can think of that has maintain its level of increase both cart only & complete. 

7 hours ago, Bonanza125 said:

Nothing that is priced 'fair value' last for an hour, that's the thing. Just because some idiot puts Aero Fighters up for 10k for 3 years, that doesn't mean people don't want it. The moment one pops up for 3000 people snatch it up in an hour, and that's the point. Yeah people listing Krion for 800 won't yield much, but if the current going rate is say, 300, it will sell that day at 300. We're at a point where everyone wants to overprice things, but that just means the moment it is priced fairly it'll go instantly. I've had things I'm hunting be sold within 3 minutes of being listed just because it was priced as it should be. I'm only really familiar with CIB collecting but I can tell you now, it's never been more expensive and annoying than it is right now, which is a common theme in this hobby. 

Edited by goldenpp72
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, goldenpp72 said:

Nothing that is priced 'fair value' last for an hour, that's the thing. Just because some idiot puts Aero Fighters up for 10k for 3 years, that doesn't mean people don't want it. The moment one pops up for 3000 people snatch it up in an hour, and that's the point. Yeah people listing Krion for 800 won't yield much, but if the current going rate is say, 300, it will sell that day at 300. We're at a point where everyone wants to overprice things, but that just means the moment it is priced fairly it'll go instantly. I've had things I'm hunting be sold within 3 minutes of being listed just because it was priced as it should be. I'm only really familiar with CIB collecting but I can tell you now, it's never been more expensive and annoying than it is right now, which is a common theme in this hobby. 

LoL 😂

3 hours ago, goldenpp72 said:

I hear you. Those are resellers sitting at the computer every moment looking for anything to make a profit especially a bargain. That has increase a lot over the years and that will never change. Has a lot to do with people growing up and more increase number of resellers or bargain hunters on whatever is available. I was referring to the demand for people to pay fair market or a small discount. To me the word "fairly" is fair market value or 5%-10% discount. Aero Fighters CIB is more of an in demand game which will have lots of interest on the open market. Eventually that price will come down when people aren't the price and more Aero Fighter CIB sell for cheaper. 

4 hours ago, Bonanza125 said:

I hear you. Those are resellers sitting at the computer every moment looking for anything to make a profit especially a bargain. That has increase a lot over the years and that will never change. Has a lot to do with people growing up and more increase number of resellers or bargain hunters on whatever is available. I was referring to the demand for people to pay fair market or a small discount. To me the word "fairly" is fair market value or 5%-10% discount. Aero Fighters CIB is more of an in demand game which will have lots of interest on the open market. Eventually that price will come down when people aren't the price and more Aero Fighter CIB sell for cheaper. 

Has this ever happened in any meaningful fashion? If I listened to all the speculation about bubble bursting over 15 years, my 200k collection would have cost me a million dollars essentially, and while NES and SNES have kind of leveled out, the Game Boy keeps reaching new ridiculous heights. Unless people die off and flood the market, I don't see it, and by then most of us won't care. I have almost 10,000 games over this span of time, and I think people are fine to speculate but every time I hear it, no one is able to present facts which we have plenty of access to due to places like ebay or price charting. I do think covid was an unnatural boom but overall the curve always goes up, and I hate that. Telling people it will burst just seems like a recipe for people to miss things they could have got. 

If you buy into the idea that you only live one time, it makes little sense to put this stuff on the back burner given the data we have, either you'll miss the boat entirely or if it does burst way down the line, you'll likely be too old to bother. If enjoying it now matters to you, nothing points to this stopping anytime soon. 

Keep in mind, I have no horse in the race of value, I've worked a decent job my whole collecting career but I'm by no means a high roller of any kind, the price has always been a hurdle for me not a blessing because I never intend to sell nor do I want to pay much. The cost of the games doesn't excite me it just makes me annoyed, so I'm not the person trying to drive the prices up, I'm just the person that has to pay. 

Edited by goldenpp72
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

32 minutes ago, goldenpp72 said:

If you buy into the idea that you only live one time, it makes little sense to put this stuff on the back burner given the data we have, either you'll miss the boat entirely or if it does burst way down the line, you'll likely be too old to bother. If enjoying it now matters to you, nothing points to this stopping anytime soon.

I totally agree, and have always had this philosophy.  I can't tell you how many times I've overpayed for a CIB game by anywhere from $10-$50 in the last two-plus decades, and whomever I'm with is flabbergasted and thinks I'm crazy and/or starts talking about how I should just wait until the bubble bursts.  Well buddy, that's a beautiful dream, but I'm only on this sphere once, and I'd like to play my games now, not when I'm 97 and can't see the TV through my cataracts or hold a controller due to arthritic pain.  And, as anyone who's been in this hobby any length of time already knows: prices have been climbing for twenty years, so every game I've ever overpayed for is worth more now than the price I payed when I bought it!  Gee, go figure... 🤔

The bottom line for me is this: every single time I've ever passed on a video game item for price reasons and declined to make the purchase, I have ended up regreting it down the road... Every - single - time....

Edited by Dr. Morbis
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

I totally agree, and have always had this philosophy.  I can't tell you how many times I've overpayed for a CIB game by anywhere from $10-$50 in the last two-plus decades, and whomever I'm with is flabbergasted and thinks I'm crazy and/or starts talking about how I should just wait until the bubble bursts.  Well buddy, that's a beautiful dream, but I'm only on this sphere once, and I'd like to play my games now, not when I'm 97 and can't see the TV through my cataracts or hold a controller due to arthritic pain.  And, as anyone who's been in this hobby any length of time already knows: prices have been climbing for twenty years, so every game I've ever overpayed for is worth more now than the price I payed when I bought it!  Gee, go figure... 🤔

The bottom line for me is this: every single time I've ever passed on a video game item for price reasons and declined to make the purchase, I have ended up regreting it down the road... Every - single - time....

I remember buying Shantae and Keio Flying Squadron for about 300 each and I was called stupid by many at the time, no one would ever pay that, they are both dead mint as well. I remember feeling queasy about spending that, now they are both worth crazy amounts. As an example of a counter, I opted to not buy Dynastic Hero for TG16 for like 700, it's worth like 3000+ now, I should have waited for that bubble to burst. 

14 hours ago, goldenpp72 said:

I can speak for something related, but maybe locally different.  This is 100% true from beater to sealed locally, foolish pie in the sky antics and the fair stuff, it does go.  But go is relative annoyingly.  Because maybe it's my bad luck, but when I'm taking a sold paid range on ebay, slicing 1/3 to as much as 1/2 off to get then what I have recently on local marketplace is a bridge too far.

To have people using instagram, tiktok, other programs to side message on the sly to the FB posting is shady.  But when they clearly chose not to look at the pictures, not read, not understand the words there is just too much.  The icing is not asking me the condition (shown), price (listed), but then to ask squirrely shit like how long I had it and other irrelevant stuff makes you wonder.

But the clincher, asking me to do zelle, cash app, or other digital payment processors and/or arguing with me to mail it anyway when IN BOLD I PUT -->  CASH ONLY -- LOCAL ONLY   ...selective illiteracy is at an all time high it appears.

I've had to ban three of these stupid a-holes in the last week, and 2 of the 3 while pretty solid english, it was off, not like second language off, but maybe using a script or something, I can't quite peg it.  BLOCK - BLOCK - BLOCK

I got fed up took the shit I had (a larger amount) into a store local here I learned of that did 50-60% trade/cash value instead and got what I wanted in an hour not dealing with con artists and morons.

I got given my prices, what I wanted anyways for the stuff, so I may just end up de-listing everything and just going there while the getting is good.

Edited by Tanooki