IGNORED

Ever get back doored? What was the item? What is your story?

Guests · Posted

Years ago, during the NA days, I won a newly listed Daze Before Christmas for the Mega Drive off eBay for like $99. I think it was complete, maybe just the box and cart. Anyways, shortly after paying, the sale was canceled. I can't recall the reason but the seller gave me some excuse. A little while later, maybe the next day, the exact same copy of Daze Before Christmas popped up on eBay for much more. I posted about it in the negative seller sub forum and the original seller that screwed me created an account on NA to refute my claims. The condition was identical and both listings were out of the same City, State. 

Anyways, that one still sucks since it goes for so much more now.

12 hours ago, Tabonga said:

You are making the mistake of trying to make sense out of what others do*.  I can't get at the reasoning for even relisting the thing at any price - just finishing the sale off of ebay would have worked just as well - probably better.  

*It has been my experience that such endeavors are usually like taking a long walk off a short pier.    

The worst is the feeling that you got it and you are high.. Then frustration..

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, RH said:

No, I 100% agree with you.  If I cancelled a sale because of a misunderstanding in value, I'd let the buyer know that.   I wouldn't "hide" it under some pretense like "oops, the item was damaged!  No sale!!!"   That is 100% wrong.  But if someone bought something, then you realized it was worth significantly worth MORE than what they paid, I see nothing wrong with following your guidelines.  And as a buyer, I wouldn't be offended by that.    Sure, I'd hate to miss an amazingly insane deal on something rare, but at the same note, I just wouldn't be offended if someone honestly told me what happened and cancelled the deal.

When it comes to being honest, I 100% feel all parties should be honest (and even giving the original buyer first-right to refuse an offer is fair.)  What I am specifically saying is that I have nothing against cancelling a sell for a a low-ball offer when you learn it's worth a sizable amount of money.

In my case there was a delay between him accepting my offer and the final invoice including shipping to Canada. I got the invoice by the night and anothe email cancelling the deal. The reason : shipping issu, and he told me he had bad transaction with Canadian buyers… but minutes after I saw his other sale..

dick head

Well on another note, not getting backdoored but something similar in my mind.

Sometimes people ask me to help bid on or buy something here in Taiwan; if they inquire about the item before I see it, then I'll generally try to help, even if I have an interest in it after seeing it. Just the way I roll.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I'm just going to do one big post with 3 stories.  All of them are from around 2012 about when the stink started hitting NES/TG/SNES stuff and select other games on ebay.  The start of what we all hoped was a bubble.  Three stories of satisfying revenge on my part.

#1 -- This was a flea market one.  I was at this table, guy as common enough still in 2012 had garage sale prices on the goodies, despite things starting to creep on the NES/TG side of things first.  I was browsing, had a game in hand and  I started to pick a game up(it was in hand retracting) and it was taken from my hand!  Mr. Entitled decides he wants it, and then despite my starting to pick it up goes to offer up more.  Seriously dude?

Mr Entitled was one of a few family members who showed up early, ran the rows individually getting anything lowball and cheap, to then take to the business owners central table to put at ebay paid values.  In total this went on for 4-6wks until the locals got furious at being suckered, all prices went ebay at the flea there until I moved away because of it.

Me knowing what I was dealing with went for revenge.  I didn't have a data phone at that rate I kept values memorized(seriously) but the seller sure had one.  I pointed out who that guy was and what he does weekly.  I told the seller the ebay price, they got mad... Mr Entitled was in shock, then gave me the death glare stammering.  End result, no one got the game, it was put away and that guy was told to leave.  I paid for the other stuff I had as marked and left with a shit eating grin.  Suck it! 😄

#2 -- Craigslist post I think it was, sadly I don't remember the game, was a NES title though.  I got there first, had a deal to show up at a location to make the swap.  When the time came for the seller to show, they didn't, classic right?  I got to bugging the seller, they didn't ghost me. Other people after came in to offer more than the agreed price the seller made up on the game.

Having figured out that happened as the seller was open about it, and I decided to shit the bed for everyone involved trying to pay more, but still pay less than ebay value.  You want to ruin my got there first agreement offering more?  Fine... I'm into petty revenge so I tell the seller what the game actually is selling for and share the paid listing prices on ebay.

Seller got what it was worth, the dick got nothing, it got reposted, then sold later.  F me?  Nah... F U.

#3 is my personal favorite, I did get temporarily backdoored by a community of predatory resellers, but I pulled a reverse uno card of sorts and won in the end, read on.  I shared this story years ago on NA when I was out in California, it was around the time of the thing above, but sticks in my memory due to the content, circumstances, and outcome so stick with this TLDR moment please. 😉

I was in Vista CA then, guy was along the coast in Encinitas which given CA traffic isn't far but is 30min drive.

Posting, about 20~ SNES games, console, 2 controllers, all hookups - $80.
The listing had a lot of good common first/third party games, about 1/2 was the $5 filler stuff oddly non-sports filler, but up front and center of the 3 rows of games King of Dragons and more notable at that point Mega Man X3 in the front corner.  At that time $100 was average for MMX3.  I caught it within 5min of going up, I was with an infant in arm talking to the guy hoping I had the funds in the bank.  My stupid ass agreed to it providing I could check my account(bills), and had to get off the phone all the while he was getting messages, texts, emails it seems.  I tried to call back within a moment or so, took me 10min to get him back, hunt up on twice before that, I had to be loud on the third try saying stop it's me basically.  He was snapping and growling at me until he realized it was the return call and he calmed some.

Result?  Within under 10min his email box was overloaded, his voicemail box broke being full and denying more, he had answered 3 other calls.  Why?  Gee I dunno... MMX3?  Seems (and it was known for the area) multiple scumbag predators told him they just wanted MMX3 off him for $10 as that's what it was worth(seriously) and then sell the rest on the side.  He was suspicious never agreed, his emails, vms he could get at, all the same...MMX3.  He didn't get it other than something smelled.

I decided at that rate I had lost it, but these fuckers pissed me off as I got tired combating the early greed at the flea/craigslist even then a bit.  I said, I know why you're mad, let me guess, MMX3 came up a lot?  Yes.  Well you see the price you're asking given the condition your game is in, that game alone is worth at least $80 maybe $100 (it was a poor small image on the listing only.)  He was like...wow yeah really?  I said yes.  I said I don't particularly care as much about that as all that's there, and I'm not going to argue with you, I'd still pay you the $80 I now see I have it, I have even a little more, if it helps given all their bullshit.

End game on this?  He thanks me for my honesty, tells me it wasn't his but his brothers, who he got a hold of too while I was talking to him (maybe he was home I dunno) and basically they decided since I wasn't trying to hustle them, they (he) only wanted the $80 and I could have it for the $80.  The heard the baby in the background too, they drove it 20min out of their way, I met a bit down the hill from my condo, and hand delivered it.  We had a nice conversation, I apologized for the delay when I called and largely for the local asshole pool.  He was thankful, shook hands, swapped the goods, and I had a ton of hours of fun around baby time after that.

That one I'll remember because people lost for being that way, and being nice and straight with someone paid off.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

I'm just going to do one big post with 3 stories.  All of them are from around 2012 about when the stink started hitting NES/TG/SNES stuff and select other games on ebay.  The start of what we all hoped was a bubble.  Three stories of satisfying revenge on my part.

#1 -- This was a flea market one.  I was at this table, guy as common enough still in 2012 had garage sale prices on the goodies, despite things starting to creep on the NES/TG side of things first.  I was browsing, had a game in hand and  I started to pick a game up(it was in hand retracting) and it was taken from my hand!  Mr. Entitled decides he wants it, and then despite my starting to pick it up goes to offer up more.  Seriously dude?

Mr Entitled was one of a few family members who showed up early, ran the rows individually getting anything lowball and cheap, to then take to the business owners central table to put at ebay paid values.  In total this went on for 4-6wks until the locals got furious at being suckered, all prices went ebay at the flea there until I moved away because of it.

Me knowing what I was dealing with went for revenge.  I didn't have a data phone at that rate I kept values memorized(seriously) but the seller sure had one.  I pointed out who that guy was and what he does weekly.  I told the seller the ebay price, they got mad... Mr Entitled was in shock, then gave me the death glare stammering.  End result, no one got the game, it was put away and that guy was told to leave.  I paid for the other stuff I had as marked and left with a shit eating grin.  Suck it! 😄

#2 -- Craigslist post I think it was, sadly I don't remember the game, was a NES title though.  I got there first, had a deal to show up at a location to make the swap.  When the time came for the seller to show, they didn't, classic right?  I got to bugging the seller, they didn't ghost me. Other people after came in to offer more than the agreed price the seller made up on the game.

Having figured out that happened as the seller was open about it, and I decided to shit the bed for everyone involved trying to pay more, but still pay less than ebay value.  You want to ruin my got there first agreement offering more?  Fine... I'm into petty revenge so I tell the seller what the game actually is selling for and share the paid listing prices on ebay.

Seller got what it was worth, the dick got nothing, it got reposted, then sold later.  F me?  Nah... F U.

#3 is my personal favorite, I did get temporarily backdoored by a community of predatory resellers, but I pulled a reverse uno card of sorts and won in the end, read on.  I shared this story years ago on NA when I was out in California, it was around the time of the thing above, but sticks in my memory due to the content, circumstances, and outcome so stick with this TLDR moment please. 😉

I was in Vista CA then, guy was along the coast in Encinitas which given CA traffic isn't far but is 30min drive.

Posting, about 20~ SNES games, console, 2 controllers, all hookups - $80.
The listing had a lot of good common first/third party games, about 1/2 was the $5 filler stuff oddly non-sports filler, but up front and center of the 3 rows of games King of Dragons and more notable at that point Mega Man X3 in the front corner.  At that time $100 was average for MMX3.  I caught it within 5min of going up, I was with an infant in arm talking to the guy hoping I had the funds in the bank.  My stupid ass agreed to it providing I could check my account(bills), and had to get off the phone all the while he was getting messages, texts, emails it seems.  I tried to call back within a moment or so, took me 10min to get him back, hunt up on twice before that, I had to be loud on the third try saying stop it's me basically.  He was snapping and growling at me until he realized it was the return call and he calmed some.

Result?  Within under 10min his email box was overloaded, his voicemail box broke being full and denying more, he had answered 3 other calls.  Why?  Gee I dunno... MMX3?  Seems (and it was known for the area) multiple scumbag predators told him they just wanted MMX3 off him for $10 as that's what it was worth(seriously) and then sell the rest on the side.  He was suspicious never agreed, his emails, vms he could get at, all the same...MMX3.  He didn't get it other than something smelled.

I decided at that rate I had lost it, but these fuckers pissed me off as I got tired combating the early greed at the flea/craigslist even then a bit.  I said, I know why you're mad, let me guess, MMX3 came up a lot?  Yes.  Well you see the price you're asking given the condition your game is in, that game alone is worth at least $80 maybe $100 (it was a poor small image on the listing only.)  He was like...wow yeah really?  I said yes.  I said I don't particularly care as much about that as all that's there, and I'm not going to argue with you, I'd still pay you the $80 I now see I have it, I have even a little more, if it helps given all their bullshit.

End game on this?  He thanks me for my honesty, tells me it wasn't his but his brothers, who he got a hold of too while I was talking to him (maybe he was home I dunno) and basically they decided since I wasn't trying to hustle them, they (he) only wanted the $80 and I could have it for the $80.  The heard the baby in the background too, they drove it 20min out of their way, I met a bit down the hill from my condo, and hand delivered it.  We had a nice conversation, I apologized for the delay when I called and largely for the local asshole pool.  He was thankful, shook hands, swapped the goods, and I had a ton of hours of fun around baby time after that.

That one I'll remember because people lost for being that way, and being nice and straight with someone paid off.

That last one, man you should write feel good stories for magazines.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I get back doored all the time on Mercari. It's at the point where I buy something assuming I'm going to get cancelled on so when it does happen I just shrug it off. If the seller actually ships then it's a bonus.

I adopted this attitude because it's not worth raging over and wasting your time when you could be doing something more useful instead.

• Agree 2