IGNORED

2022 VGS NES Weekly Contest - Lode Runner!

BeaIank

Events Team · Posted

Ladies and gentleman, welcome for a week full of fast paced arcade action!

It is time for us all to tackle on an absolute CLASSIC! Lode Runner!
The rules for this week are as follow:

• Play 1 player mode
  • Play till the round start screen says "LEFT 1"
  • Take your picture at the start of the stage, when it says "LEFT 1". You don't have a lot of time to do it, so be quick.
  • If you reach stage 30, take your picture at the start of stage 31
  • Highest progress with lowest score wins.
  • Participation: 600 points
  • The game only awards you points when you beat a stage, so you will need to reach at least stage 2 to get a valid score
  • Genre: Action

The contest ends Sunday, 05/22/22 at 11 pm EST.  Your user name should be written or typed on a piece of paper and be in the picture for your score to be valid. For speed runs that require video, that is not required.  The entire TV screen, or computer monitor if you are playing on an emulator, MUST be in the picture for the score to be valid.  No partial screenshots will be considered or accepted.  No screenshots by hitting "print screen" on a computer will be allowed.  You must take a picture of your computer monitor.  There may be instances where this will be acceptable, but it will be at the discretion of myself and the contest organizers.  Also, the use of turbo controllers is forbidden, as well as any cheat codes, Game Genies, slow motion functions, or save states if playing on an emulator.  Also, we will only be using NTSC systems for the contests.  The use of PAL systems will NOT be allowed.  Good luck everyone and have fun.

• Like 1

Never really put any time into this one.

SCORE EDIT - Man, it looks like the li'l bugger is balling his eyes out every time you pass a level.  Anyway, here is attempt #1.  I think I could 1CC it no problem within a couple of tries, but holy crap is this game ever a time sink.  Anyway, Stage 21 - 30,600:

LR-1.JPG

Edited by Dr. Morbis

STAGE 14; 15,500

20220516_183223.jpg.9b440433884ef6d7c6497af3a69d571a.jpg

First Score: Did a bit of practice on the early stages and it's paid off.  The only ones I really have issues with are the levels that have a bunch of digging to get the gold, but even then it's not too bad.  It's far from a great game, but it's not terrible.  I may make a few more runs to try and top this.

Not sure how much I'm gonna enjoy this...on one hand I remember playing a lot of it when I was younger (borrowed a copy from my dad's friend a couple times), but I haven't been able to get into it when I got older.  It's not the kind of game that is usually in my wheelhouse, but at the same time there could be some fun memories attached.

That said, I may have to record my runs for this, if the score window is as limited as it sounds, it may be easier to get a shot by pausing a recording rather than by trying to time it right.  But we'll see how it goes.

Anyway, score reservation here.

Edited by the_wizard_666

9 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

@BeaIank The genre should be Action and Road Runner should be Arcade.  That's how you have them listed in the genre list in the Leaderboard post, but they are mixed up in the schedule on the leaderboard...

I think this one could also fit as a puzzle game, but action is likely what was intended.  Road Runner is definitely arcade though.

Anyway, this game is a LOT harder than I remember it.  Just played it for like half an hour and only just figured out level 2.  Not sure I enjoy it at all though, but it's not as bad as I was expecting...just kinda meh.

Events Team · Posted
On 5/16/2022 at 2:22 AM, Dr. Morbis said:

@BeaIank The genre should be Action and Road Runner should be Arcade.  That's how you have them listed in the genre list in the Leaderboard post, but they are mixed up in the schedule on the leaderboard...

Fixed.

40 minutes ago, nesmaster14 said:

I seem to remember this a bit more fondly... haha.  Maybe it was one of the faster-paced home computer ports.  I noticed the manual actually says you can adjust the speed.  I assume decreasing speed is not allowed, but Is increasing the speed allowed?

After level 50 the game loops back to level 1 and retains the players score.  Everything seems the same except that the enemy robot guards are faster.  So if you speed up the game to begin with the guards may get yet faster at the loop which would be a disadvantage.....

@BeaIankAre we to play no more than a single run or is it as many loops as possible?

13 hours ago, BeaIank said:
20 hours ago, JamesRobot said:

Is this a high score or a progress + score contest?

It is a high score, not a progress + score. So you can grind enemy kills to pad your score if you so desire.

Just checked - According to a strict high-score rule one can easily kill the enemies over and over on level 1 for a few hours and beat someone who played through the entire game....

1 minute ago, PII said:

Just checked - According to a strict high-score rule one can easily kill the enemies over and over on level 1 for a few hours and beat someone who played through the entire game....

So progress/high score might be better. Or a no point pressing rule.

1 hour ago, mbd39 said:

So progress/high score might be better. Or a no point pressing rule.

No point pressing can be problematic as well, as one can have a bunch of points out of necessity that the next person may not, depending on route taken, etc.  I've had levels where I didn't make a single kill, and others where I got multiple kills without trying.  Progress/Score may work best for this game, especially considering how low scoring the levels can be when played out normally.

3 hours ago, PII said:

@BeaIankAre we to play no more than a single run or is it as many loops as possible?

Current rules say to stop after Stage 20 and snap a picture at the start of Stage 21...

EDIT - So I'd assume the original intention is to point-scum as much as possible on each of the twenty stages you're allowed to play so that your score will be as bloated as possible by Stage 21.

Edited by Dr. Morbis

18 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Current rules say to stop after Stage 20 and snap a picture at the start of Stage 21...

EDIT - So I'd assume the original intention is to point-scum as much as possible on each of the twenty stages you're allowed to play so that your score will be as bloated as possible by Stage 21.

I thought that was just supposed to be an example for picture taking...

Either way the same problem remains.  The winner is whoever spends the most hours killing the same 3 enemies over and over on level 1 (or wherever)[tedious and meaningless] and then makes it through level 20 [much too easy.]

Events Team · Posted
4 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

The idea was to allow point pressing within a set stage limit.
But if people aren't finding that fun, we can do one of these things:

1. Progress + lowest score (not a fan of this), stopping at stage 21
  2. No point pressing rule (hardly enforceable and definitely not fun at all) 
  3. Remove the stage limit. Progress (with loop) wins with lowest score used for tie breaks
  4. Make it to stage 11 as fast as you can. Lowest time with highest score wins. Video proof will be needed.

Let me know which you prefer and we will go with it.