IGNORED

Game Debate #101: Portal(s)

Reed Rothchild

Rate 'em  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Portal - Rate based on your own personal preferences, NOT historical significance

• 10/10 - One of your very favorite games of all time.
    • 9/10 - Killer fucking game. Everyone should play it.
    • 8/10 - Great game. You like to recommend it.
    • 7/10 - Very good game, but not quite great.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. You might enjoy occasionally playing it.
    • 5/10 - It's okay, but maybe not something you'll go out of your way to play.
    • 4/10 - Meh. There's plenty of better alternatives to this.
    • 3/10 - Not a very good game.
    • 2/10 - Pretty crappy.
    • 1/10 - Horrible game in every way.
    • 0/10 - The Desert Bus of painful experiences. You'd rather shove an icepick in your genitals than play this.
    • Never played it, but you're interested.
    • Never played it, never will.
  2. 2. Portal 2

• 10/10 - One of your very favorite games of all time.
    • 9/10 - Killer fucking game. Everyone should play it.
    • 8/10 - Great game. You like to recommend it.
    • 7/10 - Very good game, but not quite great.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. You might enjoy occasionally playing it.
    • 5/10 - It's okay, but maybe not something you'll go out of your way to play.
    • 4/10 - Meh. There's plenty of better alternatives to this.
    • 3/10 - Not a very good game.
    • 2/10 - Pretty crappy.
    • 1/10 - Horrible game in every way.
    • 0/10 - The Desert Bus of painful experiences. You'd rather shove an icepick in your genitals than play this.
    • Never played it, but you're interested.
    • Never played it, never will.

I can't quite give the games 10, even though they are really close.  I would probably rate Portal 2 a 9.5 if I could.  I gave the original an 8 just because I think it should be rated slightly less than Portal 2.  

Portal 2 is a perfect example of taking everything from the original that was great and expanding on it.  The story lines of both games are awesome and don't waste your time with long cut scenes.  It's amazing how much story they can tell without taking you out of the game.  Absolutely worth playing and super easy to pickup and get into for a first timer.  Highly recommended for anyone who hasn't tried either game yet.  

Also, Bridge Constructor Portal wasn't included, but I would rate it an 8 as well.  

Administrator · Posted

I have to play these in a vacuum to really appreciate them. It may not be the same today as it was years ago, but at the time the success of Portal made it so quotable that it got almost cringy. Same with 2, I loved the Cave Johnson monologues, and the reveals about Glados, but there was such a boom in content from cringy people being cringy around it that I basically... Yeah, had to play in a vacuum. 

I liked Portal more than Portal 2, there's a line somewhere between homage, continuation, and milking that the sequel blurs a bit too much. Similar in my mind to Psychonauts 2, and Dark Souls 3. "Hey, remember THIS PLACE!?". Be your own game, gosh. 

But they're both great games. So like... I dunno, 8 and 7 respectively? 

• Like 1

I distinctly remember seeing ads for Portal and knowing I would love it.  I dont think I played it till MUUUUCH later and, I loved it.  The ONLY knock I have with both of them, and its not their fault is the replayability.  Part of the fun is not knowing what you're doing and then figuring it out.  Once you know what to do, some of that charm is lost.  So I don't play this often at all.  

Although on Steam, they did create a Portal create-a-level thing which was fanfreakingtastic, but it wasn't included on any platforms which is a real shame.  Loved the games, good humor and smart.  

22 minutes ago, guitarzombie said:

The ONLY knock I have with both of them, and its not their fault is the replayability.  Part of the fun is not knowing what you're doing and then figuring it out.  Once you know what to do, some of that charm is lost. 

I know what you mean.  There was probably a period of about 5 years between my first and second playthrough.  Enough time had passed that I genuinely didn't remember most of it and it was sort of like playing it again for the first time.  Although this applies to Portal 2 much more since it's so much longer.   Portal 1 is short enough to remember most of it.

• Like 1

It would be easy to just say I don't get it as it's a vague comment, so maybe I'll just stick to it.  I get what they were doing with it but I never really got it to where it was enjoyable or gave me a reason to keep bothering either and as such I never understood or agreed with the lame levels of hype.  It's not bad, it's just not great, it's like...there.  So, I gave it a 5 and a not going to touch on the sequel.

Both 9s for me. Portal is too easy, but the novelty at the time totally made up for it. Portal 2 was more challenging and managed to recapture some of the Portal 1 magic by doing new things well (although it did try to ride some of that original Portal magic like Gloves said).

Also I guess it's different now, but Portal was basically free which kind of makes it sweeter. I would've 100% bought Orange Box just for Half-Life 2: Episode Two. You even got Peggle for free when you preordered it. And you could gift copies of the Half Life games you already had to friends. Just the craziest value ever.

Both 9's for me. This is definitely a game for those who like puzzle games, if you don't, you might get over it pretty quickly.

The story was great, but honestly, even if it didn't have a story I would have loved it just as much. 

If you haven't played it and enjoy puzzles, get onto this game!

Events Team · Posted

I'll go ahead and give em both the 10s they deserve.  Probably my 3rd favorites in the 3D era.  Just behind the DOOMs and EDF 2017.  

I played them both within the last year though didn't play 2 to completion on this go round.  I agree with the sentiment that it starts to wear out its welcome by the end but it's soooo worth it.

Played the original and found it fun, funny and novel enough to be worth the time. It's overall theme put me in mind of the old table top RPG Paranoia, with it's underground complex setting and the polite-albeit-completely-psychotic AI overlord. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Valve was partly inspired by that game. It is pretty short but I think that's one of its strengths. If it had carried on for too much longer and/or the puzzles had gotten too complex, it might have burnt itself out (that's basically how I feel about Mirror's Edge...great game concept that unfortunately wore out its welcome before the end). 8 out of 10.

I haven't played Portal 2 and I am interested but right now it is competing with so many other games that I've still got to make time to play that I'm not sure if or when I ever will get to it.

Edited by Webhead123

Portal - 9/10

Portal 10/10

Both are excellent. But I played 2 before 1 so if 1 is generally considered better that may be why I prefer 2. But both amazing games, and is really just one of those genius concepts that come along once in a decade or so. Didn't even think it would be my kind of game, I always liked puzzle games, but not really FPS, and I never understood how the two could work together. But now I know.

• 5 months later...