IGNORED

Why can't we attach .zip files?

Gamegearguy

I'd guess it comes down to two things--extra bloat (over time) to the file system and having to potentially deal with the legality of sharing stuff.

Over time, this stuff adds up on server space and since this is a community site that we hope to run as long as possible, being moderately conservative is important.  Gloves monitors that stuff and from what I understand, we're doing fine with images and the limitations that are set on their max sizes, but it storage usage is something that just. creeps up larger and larger and never shrinks, unless the admins trim old files, which is something we'd rather not do.

Also, the homebrew community is supported around here, but offering files just opens a whole can of worms of types of stuff that needs to be policed.  What types of files can be saved in these zips?  Admins then have to monitor and make sure no one is sharing copyrighted material.  It's just a headache you have to be willing to deal with and, quite frankly, I can understand why Gloves and the rest of the admins wouldn't want to deal with it.

You might not be a problem, but that doesn't mean that other people might be.

• Like 1

Also, if you want to share files, you can always share them through something like a Google Drive link.  At this point, I think most of us have Google Accounts.  I don't know what the starting threshold is but I'm pretty sure Google Drive has a free tier.

Just put your files in a folder, share the folder and then share the link.  It works just as well as providing file uploads, if not better.