IGNORED

Super Jeff

Gloves

"Obvious Plant" is apparently a store of this type of "fake" stuff you that you wish someone really made.  It's like b-rated movies that were actually made to be b-rated movies (like Sharknado) but it's toys and games.

https://obviousplant.com/

I only saw two video games and they were for the SNES.

Kirby's Nightmare and Moon Humper.  I kiiiiiind of find this hillarious, but not fooling people to think it's legit.  But, this guy has sold a bunch of toys, so there's a chance that people knew this was an "Obvious Plant" product and bid up to $700 because they were fans of his work. Who knows and I guess who cares.

I think I was most amused by the Emotional Support Shoe... ha ha.  You get it if you're a parent.

• Like 1

Hah loving this ending, I forgot about that website of joke goods.

Quick someone buy this for your famicom too!

https://obviousplant.com/collections/featured/products/super-ride-grandpa?variant=41575269925057

It's a game made for Super Jeff, has the rear sticker to prove it -- Super Ride Grandpa.  Here's the rear shot:

IMG_4522_1024x1024@2x.jpg?v=1652118920

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, CodysGameRoom said:

Hahah wow, I've been following Obvious Plant for some time on IG, no idea this was his doing. That is hilarious. Just goes to show how much of a fervor we can work up when it comes to ANY possible new information regarding retro stuff.

Yeah, I'd never heard of the guy or his work, but that "Kirby's Nightmare" has somehow crossed my path in the past.  Not sure where I've seen it, but I have.  I am going to assume he shilled/purchased his own item as a way to promote his Ride Grandpa game.  I wouldn't market that way, but so long as 100% of all of this was a ruse, I'm fine with it, I guess.

• Like 1

I'm actually not a huge fan of this type of project, TBH, please just hear me out for a moment.

Let's consider if a five screw NES cartridge appeared for sale of an undocumented five-screw game, and things look good enough to make it believable, yet things are a bit questionable as well, due to limited information available.

Whether it later gets revealed to be an artistic project, or it turns out to be a pure counterfeit to con, or perhaps it actually is real, let's consider for a moment before we sloppily support and applaud such projects.

A. It's an artistic project. No harm, no foul, right? Wrong. Without transparency, the bogus auction and project did several things. First of all, it could artificially inflate other similar items. Ignoring a monetary viewpoint, the second issue is that there is not enough information to know if the item is a real product or not. Which leads us to B.

B. Obscure, undocumented games and hardware is being discovered all the time. While some of it can easily be determined as real or fake, for unlicensed products there was obviously less quality control and need for similarity, therefore it becomes quite easy to create a bogus item and sell it for tons of money to collectors, with people not even knowing the wiser. To argue that they should do their research isn't exactly fair either, imo, for some of this stuff.

C. Maybe the item actually is indeed real; however, when people start creating and promoting this crap, then everyone becomes a bit skeptic when undocumented (yet actually legitimate) pieces do appear. Once again, it's a big lose for collectors and historians.

So yeah, it was a fun joke, but it is also a situation of acting irresponsible. 😞

• Agree 1

31 minutes ago, fcgamer said:

I'm actually not a huge fan of this type of project, TBH, please just hear me out for a moment.

Let's consider if a five screw NES cartridge appeared for sale of an undocumented five-screw game, and things look good enough to make it believable, yet things are a bit questionable as well, due to limited information available.

Whether it later gets revealed to be an artistic project, or it turns out to be a pure counterfeit to con, or perhaps it actually is real, let's consider for a moment before we sloppily support and applaud such projects.

A. It's an artistic project. No harm, no foul, right? Wrong. Without transparency, the bogus auction and project did several things. First of all, it could artificially inflate other similar items. Ignoring a monetary viewpoint, the second issue is that there is not enough information to know if the item is a real product or not. Which leads us to B.

B. Obscure, undocumented games and hardware is being discovered all the time. While some of it can easily be determined as real or fake, for unlicensed products there was obviously less quality control and need for similarity, therefore it becomes quite easy to create a bogus item and sell it for tons of money to collectors, with people not even knowing the wiser. To argue that they should do their research isn't exactly fair either, imo, for some of this stuff.

C. Maybe the item actually is indeed real; however, when people start creating and promoting this crap, then everyone becomes a bit skeptic when undocumented (yet actually legitimate) pieces do appear. Once again, it's a big lose for collectors and historians.

So yeah, it was a fun joke, but it is also a situation of acting irresponsible. 😞

This is a really good point. Easy to poke fun at the whole experience,  but could be a longterm detriment to the hobby if more instances arise. 

• Agree 1