IGNORED

WATA Pop Reports are HERE

12 minutes ago, mlbfan10 said:

Awesome Zelda! Here is a thread with some pics of the new cases. They will be polycarbonate and no longer acrylic which make the cases very strong and resistance to breaking. Also horizonal games will now have horizontal cases! 

Damn, not sure if i like these better lol, case looks better but that label looks terrible, I hope is just a teaser and the final version looks better

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 2 months later...

Just saw the updated wata pop reports. Still no pallets of super Mario 64 9.8 A++. In fact after all this time it looks like barely a pallet of these sealed games have been graded- only 145 after all these years. Technically 92 of the red label version, so not even a pallet probably.

freezing

cold

takes!

Edited by Gulag Joe
  • Like 1

On 4/1/2023 at 9:18 AM, Gulag Joe said:

Just saw the updated wata pop reports. Still no pallets of super Mario 64 9.8 A++. In fact after all this time it looks like barely a pallet of these sealed games have been graded- only 145 after all these years. Technically 92 of the red label version, so not even a pallet probably.

freezing

cold

takes!

Not sure why you keep banging on about the low numbers of the Mario 9.8A++ as if it’s justifiable for the 1.5 million dollars auction. No one has really claimed the high grade is a common one, although we’re saying a sealed Mario 64 NTSC isn’t all that rare compared with sealed games that have only been known to exist by less than a handful (and ones unlikely to ever increase in numbers).

But really, the main issue is more the sudden ridiculous 100-200 times it auctioned for compared with the likely prior going rates. That is just plain sus, no matter what market you look at..

Remember also when most of us on this forum are talking about the retro market, we are talking market for “genuine collectors”, we’re not talking about market for “market manipulators/money launderers”.

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, GPX said:

Not sure why you keep banging on about the low numbers of the Mario 9.8A++ as if it’s justifiable for the 1.5 million dollars auction. No one has really claimed the high grade is a common one, although we’re saying a sealed Mario 64 NTSC isn’t all that rare compared with sealed games that have only been known to exist by less than a handful (and ones unlikely to ever increase in numbers).

But really, the main issue is more the sudden ridiculous 100-200 times it auctioned for compared with the likely prior going rates. That is just plain sus, no matter what market you look at..

Remember also when most of us on this forum are talking about the retro market, we are talking market for “genuine collectors”, we’re not talking about market for “market manipulators/money launderers”.

You can’t really talk about a “market” when only 3 games exist in that grade. The heritage thread dumps all over it being a common game that “pallets and pallets” are out there and will start flowing in for grades. Pepperidge farms remembers. And that just hasn’t been the case and it’s been over 2 years now.

10 minutes ago, Gulag Joe said:

You can’t really talk about a “market” when only 3 games exist in that grade. The heritage thread dumps all over it being a common game that “pallets and pallets” are out there and will start flowing in for grades. Pepperidge farms remembers. And that just hasn’t been the case and it’s been over 2 years now.

Yes you can. If a game exists for 25 years then there’s a market to talk about it. It’s up to the buyer to do the research to figure out what the relative market of cost and demand is. This applies to any game that any of us own too.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, GPX said:

Yes you can. If a game exists for 25 years then there’s a market to talk about it. It’s up to the buyer to do the research to figure out what the relative market of cost and demand is. This applies to any game that any of us own too.

There is no real market for a 1909 PSA 8 t-206 Ty Cobb green. And there are more of those (8) than there are 9.8 A++ sealed SM64 (3). Even more, there are over 800 PSA authenticated copies of the Ty Cobb out there- 4 times more than sealed red label SM64 authenticated by Wata. Amazing. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gulag Joe said:

There is no real market for a 1909 PSA 8 t-206 Ty Cobb green. And there are more of those (8) than there are 9.8 A++ sealed SM64 (3). Even more, there are over 800 PSA authenticated copies of the Ty Cobb out there- 4 times more than sealed red label SM64 authenticated by Wata. Amazing. 

To counter that, PSA had been around for at least 4 times as long as WATA, as has baseball card collecting vs video game collecting as a recognized hobby/ investment opportunity.

I'm not saying there are pallets of seales Mario 64 out there... just saying this is a relatively small sample size time-wise.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, 3rdStrongestMole said:

To counter that, PSA had been around for at least 4 times as long as WATA, as has baseball card collecting vs video game collecting as a recognized hobby/ investment opportunity.

I'm not saying there are pallets of seales Mario 64 out there... just saying this is a relatively small sample size time-wise.

Baseball cards are stuffed between book pages and magazines that are later found. Pristine N64 games require a great deal more care to keep in good condition. So for pristine N64 games to remain hidden for another 100 years, knowing that they sold for over a million dollars a hundred years ago, is unlikely.

The population of sealed graded games, of where they are at right now, across all systems N64 and earlier, won’t change by much over time. Might even be able to push that to Ps2/xbox gen too. I think Xbox360 and later will grow a little higher. I can still get a sealed Witcher 2 first print for under a hundred bucks.

Edited by Gulag Joe
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Gulag Joe said:

Baseball cards are stuffed between book pages and magazines that are later found. Pristine N64 games require a great deal more care to keep in good condition. So for pristine N64 games to remain hidden for another 100 years, knowing that they sold for over a million dollars a hundred years ago, is unlikely.

The population of sealed graded games, of where they are at right now, across all systems N64 and earlier, won’t change by much over time. Might even be able to push that to Ps2/xbox gen too. I think Xbox360 and later will grow a little higher. I can still get a sealed Witcher 2 first print for under a hundred bucks.

I do believe many games are still out there unfound or just in possession of people who have enough money to not care. Heck lower condition ones are posted semi often for n64. But really mint coveted ones i think will be uncommon for finds. However i do think we still have a good few families out there that haven't checked out crazy grandpas attic in awhile and they might stumble upon a case or two of coveted NES, SNES, n64, etc games. Will be interesting to see how it plays out.

On the later gen topic man I've been itching that buying scratch lately with them. Many games I forgot I loved for the ps3/xbox 360 that I've been buying for cheap in good sealed condition. Bit of solace from the 2000-100,000 dollar game listings for vintage 😄

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

Speaking of PlayStation 3, I am finding it weird that Wata does not have a population report section for that console. I mean that after I found out that one title I was interested in had more than four print variants (as this one database claims). But they have one for the Xbox 360. (Plus it appears that their Wii listing is not 100% complete.)

Hopefully what I am itching to add to my collection does not turn out to be a more common submission than I am hoping it is. 😅

I don't check these often and, sorry, if someone has pointed this out but I find it interesting that for the Virtual Boy games, only two games have have 0 submissions-- Jack Bros (no surprise) and... Tennis.  Really?  No one has submitted a Tennis?

28 minutes ago, Code Monkey said:

Guys, if you want proof of all of the inserts in your game, all it takes is $5 for the pre-grade photos. I do this on all my games and it shows any cards or posters included in the box.

They leave out the foam block for NES from those photos though and that’s the most Important piece! Also, they sometimes omit the cardboard holder and baggie from SNES cib sub photos.

Edited by Gulag Joe

1 hour ago, Gulag Joe said:

They leave out the foam block for NES from those photos though and that’s the most Important piece! Also, they sometimes omit the cardboard holder and baggie from SNES cib sub photos.

Well that’s plain silly.  If someone shipped an item to be graded CIB, they should include everything that was provided by the submitter, even if it were mismatch parts. Why wouldn’t they do that?!

4 hours ago, RH said:

Well that’s plain silly.  If someone shipped an item to be graded CIB, they should include everything that was provided by the submitter, even if it were mismatch parts. Why wouldn’t they do that?!

That’s an excellent question. I have a few CIBs from Wata that list all the parts in my dashboard, but the photos don’t show all of the components.

• 3 months later...

Fewer people post in this forum these days because of how utterly embarrassingly wrong they were on the number of 9.8 A++ Super Mario 64’s there are out there! Reading through these old comments, some of which now just read “delete”, showed that some people genuinely thought there’d be pallets and pallets of them by now. NOPE! Still just three!

L. 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Gulag Joe said:

Fewer people post in this forum these days because of how utterly embarrassingly wrong they were on the number of 9.8 A++ Super Mario 64’s there are out there! Reading through these old comments, some of which now just read “delete”, showed that some people genuinely thought there’d be pallets and pallets of them by now. NOPE! Still just three!

L. 

How many sealed Famicom Creatoms do you reckon are out there?

@Gulag Joefinally an unauthorized game surely had smaller distribution and smaller print and reprint numbers, that's just logic talking and we're both Smart intelligent folks, right? So yeah surely there would be more copies sealed and a++++ out your ass graded of sm64 than Creatom, right? Just speaking logically here, yeah definitely makes sense.

So let's start the conversation again hahaha 🤣

3 hours ago, fcgamer said:

@Gulag Joefinally an unauthorized game surely had smaller distribution and smaller print and reprint numbers, that's just logic talking and we're both Smart intelligent folks, right? So yeah surely there would be more copies sealed and a++++ out your ass graded of sm64 than Creatom, right? Just speaking logically here, yeah definitely makes sense.

So let's start the conversation again hahaha 🤣

Not necessarily. People opened up and played Super Mario 64. I actually used a factory sealed Creatom as a coaster.