IGNORED

Kickstarter: The Cursed Knight (GEN/MD)

Broke Studio

Hi everyone!

We just launched The Cursed Knight Kickstarter campaign two days ago and I wanted yo share it with you all.

The Cursed Knight is 100% finished and works on the real Sega Megadrive/Genesis console! We are running this crowdfunding campaign in order to raise funds for physical production and offer collector limited editions that won't be available once the campaign is over. 

Do you like platform and shoot'em up games? Do you like challenging games? Do you like retrogaming? And most importantly, do you like the Megadrive/Genesis? Then The Cursed Knight is for you!

Enter the weird world of The Cursed Knight and fight your way through various levels to finally meet the Cube god. Look for secret items, fight your enemies to the rhythm of an energic soundtrack, stay alert and go through the most dangerous areas manipulating gravity.

Features

• 5 unique worlds
  • 10 crazy levels
  • 10 bosses
  • Crazy Genesis visual effects
  • A password system
  • Like 3
  • Love 2

Hello !

We just added 4 new stretch goals to the campaign!
The compete update is available here => https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/brokestudio/the-cursed-knight/posts/3487273

In short:

• Guardian Mode, a kind of boss rush
  • Exclusive goodies
  • Exclusive Custom Color Cartridge
  • Game port to the Nintendo Switch

• Like 2

I honestly didn't expect this subject to be so important to players/backers. So many comments on the campaign page about this!

If the game was an RPG I could understand that modifying dialogues would be an issue, but for an action/platformer/shmup game, it doesn't change anything (and it's like 2-3 words in total).

Anyway, I'll check with the dev team if something can be done about this, using a code or password or something like that to enable it, but I can't promise anything for now.

I try to please everyone but obviously at some point it can't be done 😅

• Love 1

Fwiw I don't care how many swear words are in the game, and don't see why I should. 

At the same time, I also don't see any reason why I should have a problem with them being removed, if they play no integral role on the storytelling.

I don't understand why people get worked up about that kind of stuff. Broke Studio made the right call 🙂

20 hours ago, Deadeye said:

Were the complaints that people didn't want the swears or were the complaints about the removal of them?  50/50??

50/50!!! But first the people who didn't want it, and once remove, the people who complaints about the removal...

15 hours ago, Sumez said:

Fwiw I don't care how many swear words are in the game, and don't see why I should. 

At the same time, I also don't see any reason why I should have a problem with them being removed, if they play no integral role on the storytelling.

I don't understand why people get worked up about that kind of stuff. Broke Studio made the right call 🙂

Thanks! I try to listen everyone and I try to please as much people as I can. Definitely not easy (even possible?).

10 hours ago, dockvalentine said:

All I know is I swear I backed it!

Thanks! ❤️

Oh, ha. I was mostly joking about the profanity. I don't care either way and I'm certainly not worked up about it, but as a profane person myself I thought it was funny that this was something people are specifically concerned about. I'm also backing the project regardless. 

• 2 weeks later...

Custom color cartridges for all physical rewards has been unlocked and that's soooo awesome!

TCK-cartridge-blue-4-update.png.92ba543765a833c5c00a2bbe7c477b08.png

Next stretch goal is the Nintendo Switch digital version, which will be hard to reach but anything is possible, as this campaign already proved that 🙂

TCK-Switch.png.be6a6915a513a66f16ab0edfa7fcdd78.png

Check the campaign for more details and thanks for your support! 

• Like 1
  • Wow! 1

I don't really have a horse in this race as I don't plan on diving down the rabbit hole of homebrew Sega games; however, I do feel the whole thing to be appalling. Here are my thoughts on the matter.

If I were to buy the game, I would personally want for it to include the swearing. This was how the developers had initially envisioned the game, so I find the removal of the words to please a handful of people to be a bit sad. I'm definitely not a fan of censorship, and ironically enough for those that wanted the words to be removed, that sort of attitude is actually what gives these words their power. 😉

11 hours ago, fcgamer said:

This was how the developers had initially envisioned the game, so I find the removal of the words to please a handful of people to be a bit sad.

I think you should let the developers decide how they envision the game, instead of trying to speak for them.

Broke Studio already made clear in this thread that the swearing was mostly just something that wasn't considered, and was never a part of the game's "vision" anyway.
I don't like censorship either, but if you want to make a point about that, you should probably pick your fights better. 🙂 

• Eyeroll 1

44 minutes ago, Sumez said:

I think you should let the developers decide how they envision the game, instead of trying to speak for them.

Broke Studio already made clear in this thread that the swearing was mostly just something that wasn't considered, and was never a part of the game's "vision" anyway.
I don't like censorship either, but if you want to make a point about that, you should probably pick your fights better. 🙂 

I prefer the original version to the edited version, is that putting it better? 

If the swearing was something that wasn't part of the game, how did it end up in the original version? If it wasn't there to begin with, it wouldn't have been removed to please whiners. 

There's no "original version", the game has not been released yet, and the developer are free to make the changes they feel will satisfy their intended audience the best. This is something every game dev needs to consider no matter what type of game they are making, along the lines of decisions such as "should we add a tutorial here because we've noticed a lot of people didn't understand this feature at first".

I don't really have the patience for people trying to kick up a controversy where none exists, just for the sake of it. Instead try to appreciate the fact that the developer is listening to the fans.

Edited by Sumez
  • Eyeroll 1

2 hours ago, Sumez said:

I don't really have the patience for people trying to kick up a controversy where none exists, just for the sake of it. Instead try to appreciate the fact that the developer is listening to the fans.

But they are listening to some fans at the expense of others, and the game is being edited to meet such demands. That's where I take issue.

No offence, but this is the sort of stuff that would have occurred in 1989 or 1992...except it would have been brought about (forced) by Nintendo themselves, and the developer would have had no choice but to oblige. It's 2022 now, I realise political correctness and all of that stuff, but we should be way beyond this, and the fact that some fans are bringing about such censorship is sickening.

No thanks guys, I really don't like the direction this is going, at all.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

I backed on the Kickstarter. Looking forward to this interesting mix of platforming and shmup, with a Metal Storm-inspired mechanic. 

As for the swearing, making it possible to play with or without it is a good compromise. Fan input has always been something developers need to consider, especially in this day and age when it's so easy to communicate. Here is another example: I had always wondered why Tecnosoft dropped the overhead stages in Thunder Force III, and the reason was because many fans requested it. 

9 hours ago, a3quit4s said:

@Broke Studio I missed the campaign will you have some for sale at your online storefront after completing all the kickstarter orders?

Yes, the game will be available for preorder on our shop soon. It won't include all the Kickstarter exclusive content obviously (goodies, blue cart, ...).