IGNORED

Have you ever vaguely recalled something from your childhood... wanted it, hunted it down and only found it was highly collectible?

RH

I started looking into old sports T-shirts (late 80s-90s) a few years ago as I always loved the all over print and exaggerated/loud designs. I used to have a few back when I was a kid (Charlotte Hornets/ Chicago Bulls). I found out that a lot of them fall under the 'Magic Johnson' branding and are quite sought after. They're tough to find in good condition and typically go for $100+ upwards of $500 online depending on the condition/team/design/rarity.

ex.

Charlotte Hornets Vintage MJTs Pure Magic All Over Print Shirt Men's M |  eBayVintage Barry Sanders Magic Johnson T's shirt : r/VintageTees

• Like 3

About 6 or 7 years back I kept having vague flashbacks of some Scooby Doo episodes that my parents had recorded onto a home VHS tape.

Man I tried looking through all kinds of box DVD sets for these episodes only to find out that they had never (to that point) been released on DVD. 

Luckily the internet always wins and I was able to find them streaming on some Hanna Barbara fan site.

It was a great feeling of nostalgia and satisfaction to finally find what my brain only had bits and pieces of.

I just recently rediscovered my love of LEGO Fabuland. And of course since it's both LEGO and was only around in the 80's, it is now much more expensive than I expected it to be. 

I wrongly assumed that Fabuland stuff would cost about the same as other toys like 70s Fisher-Price Little People. And I was quite wrong. Fabuland is super pricey now.

Recently indulged myself and picked up a few Fabuland figures just to relive that bridge between LEGO and DUPLO. I still get a kick out of them and find them kinda charming!

10-lego-fabuland-figures_1_5edbabb6c59d0c012ffd02951dc6eea8.jpg

@RHI watched a YouTube video disassembling that clock literally yesterday, what are the odds. Super cooool clock tho.

I always wanted one of those sports team starter jackets when I was a kid, never thought to look up the price but looks like they're about 100$ give or take depending on condition

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-90s-Detroit-Red-Wings-STARTER-Jacket-Pullover-Adult-Size-XL-Excellent-/143802683036?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l6249&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0

11 hours ago, Andy_Bogomil said:

I started looking into old sports T-shirts (late 80s-90s) a few years ago as I always loved the all over print and exaggerated/loud designs. I used to have a few back when I was a kid (Charlotte Hornets/ Chicago Bulls). I found out that a lot of them fall under the 'Magic Johnson' branding and are quite sought after. They're tough to find in good condition and typically go for $100+ upwards of $500 online depending on the condition/team/design/rarity.

ex.

Charlotte Hornets Vintage MJTs Pure Magic All Over Print Shirt Men's M |  eBayVintage Barry Sanders Magic Johnson T's shirt : r/VintageTees

I remember these.  Being that I was from Columbia, SC, we didn't have a local pro team (and we still don't) for any sport, anywhere in the state.  As such, we were all huge Hornets and Panthers fans.  I remember that shirt, and in my mind there was a Panthers shirt similar to that Lions one.  That's a good memory.

2 hours ago, drxandy said:

@RHI watched a YouTube video disassembling that clock literally yesterday, what are the odds. Super cooool clock tho.

I always wanted one of those sports team starter jackets when I was a kid, never thought to look up the price but looks like they're about 100$ give or take depending on condition

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-90s-Detroit-Red-Wings-STARTER-Jacket-Pullover-Adult-Size-XL-Excellent-/143802683036?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l6249&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0

Man, it doesn't surprise me that those old jackets or even the shirts above are expensive.  "The 90s" are in with the kids right now, so I imagine kids with daddy's money, plus all of us who have nostalgia trips want to buy that stuff.

• Agree 1

Graphics Team · Posted

These probably aren't collectible, but I have no idea how to find them without knowing what they're called. 

I used to get these capsule-toys from a quarter-machine outside of Toys 'R Us as a kid. They looked like ripoffs of those Ugly-Dolls plushie designs. I loved these little plastic abominations so much.

I managed to find a post about them in some online forum from over a decade ago, but the poster couldn't remember the name of these things, either.

I think I've only got one left, but I really wish I had saved them all...

-CasualCart

image.png.504620f04f1971f285c1e9a80e868a6c.png

• Like 1

Regarding my OP on the Lumitime clock, since then someone posted one in-box they picked up from an estate sale, complete with a hand-written receipt.  Welp, today's the last day of the auction and it's pushing $500 and the unit doesn't even work properly!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/175240979320?

On a small windfall from a game sale I might have considered picking one up for $150-200... maybe.  $450 for a non-working unit is just insane.  Seriously, no, and as always if $400+ is the new price vs. half that, then I'm a day late and a dollar short.

I haven't seen these in years - they came as prizes in the rice, wheat and corn chex cereals.  (They also came in green variations.)

1960s-chex-cereal-premium-martians_1_54e7180b34a73a8d4d9a4491f3be6e24.jpg.7405613216834ab9683a343166079ff6.jpg

This was a little before my time - but it is so odd I likely would have liked it:

Here is a sold listing from ebay - certainly looks better in color!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/334387949721?hash=item4ddb133099%3Ag%3A8HcAAOSwfKBgunKg&nma=true&si=EilL44ALeEhM0Ym34gqz4Bhfz5M%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Edited by Tabonga

I once remembered I was a kid and used to play NES games. I thought it'd be nice to play them again and I remembered 20 years ago they were about 25 cents each at garage sales so I should be able to pick up 100 of them for a couple of dollars.

Hoo boy, what a surprise when I started looking.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The Blank for Dick Tracy.  I love Dick Tracy and that was the figure I wanted most and they advertised it on the back of the box.  I would go to the Genovese Drug Store and sift thru the figures, like Charlie opening up Wonka Bars.  I never got it and never knew why.  Well a decade later cuz of the internet I started searching and learned why.  BTW it was only released in Canada, as all sealed versions have English and French, while the US is just English.  So they were made, but at the last minute, decided to not ship them to the US.  

Well thanks to the pandemic and the stimulus check, I finally picked one up for $800.  Its sitting on my shelf right now.

Edited by guitarzombie

11 hours ago, guitarzombie said:

The Blank for Dick Tracy.  I love Dick Tracy and that was the figure I wanted most and they advertised it on the back of the box.  I would go to the Genovese Drug Store and sift thru the figured, like Charlie opening up Wonka Bars.  I never got it and never knew why.  Well a decade later cuz of the internet I started searching and learned why.  BTW it was only released in Canada, as all sealed versions have English and French, while the US is just English.  So they were made, but at the last minute, decided to not ship them to the US.  

Well thanks to the pandemic and the stimulus check, I finally picked one up for $800.  Its sitting on my shelf right now.

Photo?  Sounds like the OG Boba Fett figure, but for Dick Tracy toys.

5 hours ago, RH said:

Photo?  Sounds like the OG Boba Fett figure, but for Dick Tracy toys.

Nah, the OG Boba Fett figure wasn't actually released anywhere on a card back (save a single example that is blank on the back that wasn't released but was sent around with a salesman to conventions, comic/toy shows, etc.).  It would be more correctly attributed to Yak Face, who was designed by Kenner for release as part of the Power of the Force line as the last figure in the series, but only distributed outside of the US (in Canada, Mexico, and Europe).  I don't remember how common he was in non-US North America, but apparently he was incredibly overstocked overseas, to the point where people have provided lots of anecdotes about literal piles of the figure at retail and him specifically being heavily discounted just to get rid of it, while leaving US kids either totally ignorant of the figure's existence or woefully unable to lay their hands on one.

• Like 1