IGNORED

Limited Run Games

2 hours ago, Yelir said:

Can anyone comment on the availability of LRG games that hit higher distribution? For example, Golf Story that was also sold through Best Buy in the US?

They have a crazy amount of physical releases but I don't want to support such a shit business model. 😞

Yeah... I guess it's a total "shit business model" when you know, you try to make gamers happy AND make money???

Seriously, what exactly do you expect? As for selling at Best Buy, they only sell the open-order games not the collector's/limited editions. The prices on Best Buy are the same price is on the LRG website, and certainly lower than prices you will find on ebay. Don't see anything wrong with what they are doing. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, avatar! said:

Yeah... I guess it's a total "shit business model" when you know, you try to make gamers happy AND make money???

Seriously, what exactly do you expect? As for selling at Best Buy, they only sell the open-order games not the collector's/limited editions. The prices on Best Buy are the same price is on the LRG website, and certainly lower than prices you will find on ebay. Don't see anything wrong with what they are doing. 

Do you think I can walk into most BB locations and pick up the LRG they stock? I'm asking more of a sincere question, Best Buy in Canada doesn't stock any titles from them which is unfortunate.

If you believe in artificially inflating both the release numbers and resale prices of games, then you are welcome to your own opinion. I'm not interested in the hype market that Doug and co. seem to force down many YouTube personalities, and the rumored involvement with the "other" LRG could be seen as the opposite to customer service.

3 hours ago, Yelir said:

Do you think I can walk into most BB locations and pick up the LRG they stock? I'm asking more of a sincere question, Best Buy in Canada doesn't stock any titles from them which is unfortunate.

If you believe in artificially inflating both the release numbers and resale prices of games, then you are welcome to your own opinion. I'm not interested in the hype market that Doug and co. seem to force down many YouTube personalities, and the rumored involvement with the "other" LRG could be seen as the opposite to customer service.

I don't know if you could walk into a Best Buy and find any LRG games. I would suspect the answer is no. And again, when it comes to open orders, LRG does not specify a limitation number so I don't see it as artificially inflating anything. You can order the games of the Best Buy website, and again, they are significantly less expensive than on ebay. I'll probably pick up Celeste for the Switch since I did not order it when it was for sale on LRG. 

You can complain about artificial scarcity all you want, but without it, none of these games would be available in physical form.  Doug and LRG can act like they are providing a service to the community because they ARE providing a service to the community.  Their customer service is far greater than most companies their size.   

On 11/11/2019 at 9:06 PM, TDIRunner said:

You can complain about artificial scarcity all you want, but without it, none of these games would be available in physical form.  Doug and LRG can act like they are providing a service to the community because they ARE providing a service to the community.  Their customer service is far greater than most companies their size.   

Do you have a connection to LRG?

On 11/11/2019 at 10:06 PM, TDIRunner said:

You hear that folks, without LRG, we would've NEVER had the N64 version of Star Wars Episode 1 Racer, or physical copies of Turok, Jak 1, 2, X Combat Racing, Nuclear Throne, Soldner X2,  YS origin, etc et al,. They're providing a SERVICE to us, by re-releasing bootlegs and incredibly small amounts of games to scalpers.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PineappleLawnchair said:

You hear that folks, without LRG, we would've NEVER had the N64 version of Star Wars Episode 1 Racer, or physical copies of Turok, Jak 1, 2, X Combat Racing, Nuclear Throne, Soldner X2,  YS origin, etc et al,. They're providing a SERVICE to us, by re-releasing bootlegs and incredibly small amounts of games to scalpers.

First off, games such as the N64 Racer or Turok etc are authorized, so by definition they are not bootlegs.

Yes, some of their releases such as the aforementioned were previously released, but so what? There's obviously a demand for that since they sell out quickly. Secondly, the vast majority of their games have had no physical releases, and it's questionable whether many small independent games would otherwise ever get a physical release -- so yes, I'm super grateful and this is indeed a service they are providing. 

I agree that scalping is an issue, but LRG now offers open orders on non-collector's editions so there's no reason anyone shouldn't get a copy of the vast majority of the games they release (some unique games like their NES releases are always going to be limited). 

So anyway, to each their own, but I honestly find myself more interested in most LRG games than AAA games. 

• Like 1

The Tetris Effect thing is glaringly dumb. That game is still widely available new. 

I want to like them for the idea of producing physical copies that aren't otherwise available. The star wars stuff was a stretch but whatever. I'm still bitter about the night trap shitshow. Doing a "limited run" of something that is currently available is laughable.

7 hours ago, Lincoln said:

The Tetris Effect thing is glaringly dumb. That game is still widely available new. 

I want to like them for the idea of producing physical copies that aren't otherwise available. The star wars stuff was a stretch but whatever. I'm still bitter about the night trap shitshow. Doing a "limited run" of something that is currently available is laughable.

I completely agree about the tetris effect thing. No idea what they are thinking.

What is the deal with night trap though? I hadn't heard it's currently available... but I didn't really follow that game. I did buy a copy but then sold when I realized I wasn't interested.

On 11/11/2019 at 3:14 AM, Yelir said:

Can anyone comment on the availability of LRG games that hit higher distribution? For example, Golf Story that was also sold through Best Buy in the US?

OK hold your horses there. 

The version you get direct from LRG is a different cover art and sometimes comes with different extras than what is available at Best Buy, not to mention they always come with a trading card and there's a chance that you get one of the more rare gold foil trading cards. There is also no guarantee that Best Buy will pick up a release or how many copies they will have. The one advantage with the Best Buy releases is they rarely sell out (these games are truly niche) and I usually prefer the cover art Best Buy gets (usually it's the artwork on the card). 

SRG also has a similar deal with GameStop, it depends on the game but they published Enter the Gungeon and then GameStop had a retail version with different bonuses. 

To me it's the best of both worlds because I just want the option to buy the game sooner or later, not feel pressured to buy them before they sell out because they are artificially limited. But I think everyone here understands variant collecting, and I wanted to point out that these are variants. They are not the same product. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MiamiSlice said:

OK hold your horses there. 

You can see my above comment about the initial question because the Best Buy distro is clearly US-only.

I don't really give a damn about these fake-o "collectible" cards or other junk they throw in with the releases. I just want a physical game! 😉

On 11/22/2019 at 11:07 PM, Fluff said:

I completely agree about the tetris effect thing. No idea what they are thinking.

What is the deal with night trap though? I hadn't heard it's currently available... but I didn't really follow that game. I did buy a copy but then sold when I realized I wasn't interested.

Not sure what is up with Tetris Effect. When I first saw it I did not know it was already available. So, not sure what the deal is with that. Most of their releases are a one-time physical release and not available otherwise. As for Night Trap, it was only available through LRG. 

• Like 1

On 12/4/2019 at 12:40 PM, DefaultGen said:

It's the best CRPG ever as far as I'm concerned. Something that's finally better than all the heralded old Bioware and Black Isle games.

Of course to be fair, it was inspired by the old greats like Baldur's Gate, Ultima, Might and Magic...

and now Larian is working on Baldur's Gate III -- which I do believe will be one of the greatest RPG experiences of all time!

25 minutes ago, avatar! said:

Of course to be fair, it was inspired by the old greats like Baldur's Gate, Ultima, Might and Magic...

and now Larian is working on Baldur's Gate III -- which I do believe will be one of the greatest RPG experiences of all time!

Yeah, but so many games try to imitate or be inspired by classics are come across as clones or just not quite as "great" in the importance sense. I'm definitely excited for BG3. Larian definitely 'gets it' when it comes to quest design and doesn't just give you ignorable text and make you follow quest markers to something you have to click to win.