IGNORED

WATA Finally Getting Sued?

6 hours ago, ExplodedHamster said:

Now, one thing I will say, is at some point WATA could and probably should have changed their estimates on the lower tiers. I doubt it’s legally actionable, but it likely would have helped them from a PR perspective and curbed some of the anger. I think that’s a fair criticism for sure. 

Yea, like I feel a lot of this could have been avoided if they had just taken the 2 minutes to update their website with realistic turnaround times.  That had to have been a conscious decision not to, for whatever reason (Likely to keep lower order going that they *knew* had no hope of being anywhere near the estimates).

I have no idea if any of that is legally actionable, but that was the one part of this that they could have very easily controlled and communicated.

• Agree 2

11 hours ago, ExplodedHamster said:

Trust me, I’ve had stuff take forever and done my fair share of being pissed off throughout the process. Two years plus for some of the snail pace ones. But the issue they, and other grading companies have had, is that higher speed tiers jump the line. And so what you end up with is that supply chain issues keep just enough cases for the Warp Zones and maybe some Speed Run, but then the rest get neglected because by the time supplies come in, you get more WarpZone and Speed Run orders. 

So, there are two options. You shut everything down except maybe the top tier, as PSA did, and focus on the backlog. Then people get pissed your service is shut down when the market is hot and only catering to the “elites” using your top tier (there was plenty of this kind of sentiment on PSA groups, esp because PSA jacked prices on top tier they kept open), or you keep pressing, hope supply chain issues slow, and deal with the backlash for longer wait times on the Speed Runs and slower orders. I can understand why a company would choose either option tbh, but the smaller startups probably would tend towards staying open because the income stream is more of a necessity than for example a giant like PSA. I don’t blame customers for being pissed, but there really isn’t a way to get things done without a lot of customers being pissed, and these supply chain issues are a menace across the globe to businesses everywhere atm. Many are left facing these kinds of choices and many customers are pissed off daily.

This isn’t to say WATA was as ramped up as it should have been, but I imagine rapid expansion in the middle of covid, which likely would require relocation for many, is easier said than done, and supplies were always going to be a significant bottleneck regardless. Demand definitely outpaced supplies and expansion. Nobody was prepared for it across the board.

Also, context here again is we are talking about a lawsuit. I’m not saying customers shouldn’t be upset, I’m saying the factors associated with covid is something a judge will likely and should consider in any such claim at the moment.

I think my main criticism if any is that Wata did have control over a few factors and chose not to take action. The first, as you said in your other post, is updating advertised turnaround. The second is closing turbo similar to how vga closed all but the two highest tiers. Closing turbo would have been the bare minimum of a responsible decision to prevent their backlog from piling into the sky.

But like all things, hindsight is 20/20. Wata will almost certainly “get away with it” in terms of how they handled business (not saying I blame them either).

for the sake of the original point I responded to you about, I would argue the supply chain merely exacerbated the problem. I went back to archived NA threads and folks were complaining even in 2019 and early 2020, about delayed turnarounds, including far before the full effects of the pandemic took hold. I’d dig up the posts but I’m lazy lol

On 5/10/2022 at 10:30 AM, Gulag Joe said:

The Wata “lawsuit” OP on Reddit has been deleted by its author. Did anyone receive a settlement from it?

He actually deleted it because people were commenting things that shouldn't be revealed before the case was brought to court.  Apparently Pat Contri reached out to him and got a response explaining where the thread went, why it was removed (original comments still visible if you had/have a direct link to it), etc.  The guy stated he got a swarm of people requesting to be part of the class, and things were proceeding forward.  So, it's still going forward, and isn't some stunt like some folks suggested.  We'll all just have to wait and see what actually comes of this, once the case is formally filed.

Late reply, but - @Seth, yes, punitive damages would be a different story, but it just seems super unlikely to me that's a plausible result from the case. I'm not a lawyer and you are, it's just my opinion / guess. I'd be super surprised if this thing winds up in an award of punitive damages against WATA. But maybe I'm wrong! We'll find out.

edit: also, judging from your twitter feed, I am confident you are familiar with the concept of "rhetorical excess", which I will cite in my defence regarding my characterization of the lawyer. 😛

Edited by AdamW

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, 360collector said:

Rumours about them grading fake games also what a mickey mouse company lmao

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2022/06/classic-game-fakes-ultima

1. Nothing in this fake news link is sourced at all.

2. The entire thing is treating anything anyone says on the internet as 100% truth.

3. The screenshot below is my favorite part- “Apparently”. According to whom? Who is the expert that knows that this specific graded game is a forgery? If this person knows this particular game is a forgery, how do they know? We’re they the original seller? Why are they not being treated as the problem here since they would be the lone source of knowing the game “allegedly” graded twice is a forgery? Really grasping here.

4. FTW, the host of this long Facebook post pretending to be journalism, is a platform that elevates social media gossip. It’s not a reliable nor trustworthy source.

C36F2597-B8F6-469A-92DD-0D8B1FC8B8D6.jpeg

2 hours ago, Gulag Joe said:

1. Nothing in this fake news link is sourced at all.

2. The entire thing is treating anything anyone says on the internet as 100% truth.

3. The screenshot below is my favorite part- “Apparently”. According to whom? Who is the expert that knows that this specific graded game is a forgery? If this person knows this particular game is a forgery, how do they know? We’re they the original seller? Why are they not being treated as the problem here since they would be the lone source of knowing the game “allegedly” graded twice is a forgery? Really grasping here.

4. FTW, the host of this long Facebook post pretending to be journalism, is a platform that elevates social media gossip. It’s not a reliable nor trustworthy source.

C36F2597-B8F6-469A-92DD-0D8B1FC8B8D6.jpeg

The counterfeit pc game case is blowing up now. These mickey mouse companies  are taking money for  "grading" games they cant even determine the authenticity of. Thats some Mickey Mouse business right there. Wata has been caught grading fakes before, they have no clue about the things they are "grading"

17 minutes ago, 360collector said:

The counterfeit pc game case is blowing up now. These mickey mouse companies  are taking money for  "grading" games they cant even determine the authenticity of. Thats some Mickey Mouse business right there. Wata has been caught grading fakes before, they have no clue about the things they are "grading"

Wata doesn’t grade PC games.

VGA only grades sealed PC games at their own discretion.

4 minutes ago, 360collector said:

I guess they stopped after getting caught, which is good. I dont follow thes companies closely but there seems to be one scandal after the other

Or it’s all bullshit. Do you have any photos of this PC game graded by Wata that you can share here? I tried to submit a few PC games to Wata a few years back but they did not have cases for them as many need to be custom made, which is why VGA is able to accept them. I need to add that Wata specifically told me they don’t grade PC games.

Edited by Gulag Joe

2 minutes ago, Gulag Joe said:

Or it’s all bullshit. Do you have any photos of this PC game graded by Wata that you can share here? I tried to submit a few PC games to Wata a few years back but they did not have cases for them as many need to be custom made, which is why VGA is able to accept them. I need to add that Wata specifically told me they don’t grade PC games.

No but im not rly gonna side with the rep of a company exposed of market manipulation

9 minutes ago, 360collector said:

No but im not rly gonna side with the rep of a company exposed of market manipulation

Lolololololol

”I’ve never seen this Wata graded PC game, but it’s totally fake.”

Behold, the power of the internet! I actually have a Wata graded internet. Beware of fake internets, tho!

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Gulag Joe said:

Lolololololol

”I’ve never seen this Wata graded PC game, but it’s totally fake.”

Behold, the power of the internet! I actually have a Wata graded internet. Beware of fake internets, tho!

ok WATA has admitted to grading it they just wont admit to it being fake. They hide behind the " we reached out"

Looks like WATA did grade the game @Gulag Joe

UPDATE, June 3: A WATA representative tells Kotaku:

We take claims around our authentication standards seriously and are looking into this matter about one game that was graded several years ago. We are confident in our current authentication process and have reached out to the owner of the game so that we can receive and re-evaluate it given newly surfaced information. We are prepared to remedy the situation with the owner if needed.

• Like 1