IGNORED

2022 VGS NES Weekly Contest - Kung Fu!

BeaIank

Events Helper · Posted
4 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

Second stage is the best one for points!

If you can figure out Paperboy 2 and Parodius, you can get a decent score in Kung Fu.

well, i realize that the dragons are worth 2k, and i know which ones they are, but i am lucky to survive the first couple drops and then get all weird and frantic, but ya, i think it could get pretty decent points, im kinda going for distance though as i have never played, and the further i get the more i get to know the game, then maybe go back lol

i also have less time this week as it is a long work week

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jeevan said:

whelp, 3rd boss kills me in one kick/hit, so nope, not this game.......participation it is!

Jeeves, you gotta stick with it. Just lookup boss strats. Thats all you need. And I figured them out at like 10 years old and Im not some bert sampson, now or then. Pretty sure this was the first game I beat other than smb 1. 

It takes 10 minutes to loop this once, if that. Once you do that, and start mixing in the point pressing, its a goddamn delight. With a 3 month old, I dont have time for gaming hardly at all, but I can grab 10-15 minutes here and there and get a run in

• Like 1

Events Team · Posted
4 hours ago, Jeevan said:

whelp, 3rd boss kills me in one kick/hit, so nope, not this game.......participation it is!

Sorry to skinny for being a share bear here, but the strat for 3rd boss is you go directly at him with a jump kick, you try to land as close to him as possible in the process, and you finish him with low punches (or kicks?). You must have more than half your health to make it a sure shot, as if he kicks you in the process you will lose half+ of your total health bar.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Events Helper · Posted
15 minutes ago, guillavoie said:

Sorry to skinny for being a share bear here, but the strat for 3rd boss is you go directly at him with a jump kick, you try to land as close to him as possible in the process, and you finish him with low punches (or kicks?). You must have more than half your health to make it a sure shot, as if he kicks you in the process you will lose half+ of your total health bar.

probably won't help as i suck at the guys in the back lol.  Ur first level 50k is better than most of my runs 😆

2 hours ago, guillavoie said:

a jump kick, you try to land as close to him as possible in the process, and you finish him with low punches (or kicks?). You must have more than half your health to make it a sure shot, as if he kicks you in the process you will lose half+ of your total health bar.

When I do the jumpkick to the head, I just keep holding left on dpad when I land so my guy gets all the way up to the boss even if my jump was short. Unlike most games, you don't get any damage for contact with the boss unless its his kicking leg or punching hand during the kick/punch. Then I do low kicks and you can get enough in before he kicks at all if you are quick. Even if you miss the jumpkick entirely, you can get enough low kicks in before and after his kick to beat him. 

Ill lay out my boss strategies here. Im going by memory/feel, so any sharebears are welcome to correct if this doesnt conform to best strategy. 

Boss 1 - low kicks, easy

Boss 2 - high kicks best, low kicks fine

Boss 3 - see above

Boss 4 - face and low punches, dont get too close unless one of those bug things is in the air, he only attacks when one isnt active 

Boss 5 - jump kick to the head, crouch and low kicks dodging his moves when needed

Events Team · Posted
On 4/5/2022 at 11:38 PM, NESfiend said:

Ok, you have to submit an unofficial score, even if it isnt before this ends. The fact that this is achievable to you is ridiculous. Cant imagine surviving pressing that much

Edit: or surviving that far at all really. The bosses seem to get so much harder post loop 2. 

Okay, vids of me playing from 3rd loop, no life lost, trying to go aggressive on point pressing, all along.

part 1 :

part 2 :

part 3, short finish :

• Like 3
  • Wow! 1

6 hours ago, guillavoie said:

Okay, vids of me playing from 3rd loop, no life lost, trying to go aggressive on point pressing, all along.

part 1 :

part 2 :

part 3, short finish :

Nice. Your one life score is about the same as I was able to achieve in practice before the contest. Hopefully I can do it again but I keep choking. For some reason I'm playing worse now than I did when my scores didn't matter.

• Thanks 1

Events Team · Posted

It's a rare and collectable NintendoAge Taiwanese succulent originally owned by @OptOut who sold/shipped it to @Richardhead here in the states when he was collecting NA member memorabilia not long before the demise of the site. 

I think he's also got @captmorgandrinker's ban hammer (mouse) that was used for many of the now infamous NA bannings.  I wonder if he could get that TWATA graded... 🤔

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Agree 1

Events Team · Posted
30 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

Nice. Your one life score is about the same as I was able to achieve in practice before the contest. Hopefully I can do it again but I keep choking. For some reason I'm playing worse now than I did when my scores didn't matter.

Thanks man! I'm sure you'll find a way to get a higher score before the end of the week. Sometimes it is annoying how doing a score that matters  can affect our performance, but there's usually always one run, at the very least, to save it all for the whole week. 

Events Team · Posted
6 hours ago, guillavoie said:

part 1 :

part 2 :

part 3, short finish :

A few remarks about point pressing and how I performed in that run :

I completely messed up the 4th stage point pressing because I only remembered an important thing when I was going through the 4th loop. After you get through the butterflies thingy phase, you should have your kill count at 4. Then, you have to get to 10 kills, and not kill anyone else before a knife thrower appears. You kill him for your 11th kill, and only then the next tall guy is your 12th 5000 points kill. After that you can go for the boss, and resume point pressing.

My 5th stage 4th loop shows the reward of successfully point press the 5th stage in general, cause if you manage to beat the boss and still have the 5000 points bonus on for every 12 kills, there's no more knife thrower showing up once you beat the boss (except if you left a knife thrower behind, which would be the only one left to beat, as it is the case in my run).

3 minutes ago, guillavoie said:

A few remarks about point pressing and how I performed in that run :

I completely messed up the 4th stage point pressing because I only remembered an important thing when I was going through the 4th loop. After you get through the butterflies thingy phase, you should have your kill count at 4. Then, you have to get to 10 kills, and not kill anyone else before a knife thrower appears. You kill him for your 11th kill, and only then the next tall guy is your 12th 5000 points kill. After that you can go for the boss, and resume point pressing.

My 5th stage 4th loop shows the reward of successfully point press the 5th stage in general, cause if you manage to beat the boss and still have the 5000 points bonus on for every 12 kills, there's no more knife thrower showing up once you beat the boss (except if you left a knife thrower behind, which would be the only one left to beat, as it is the case in my run).

I never knew that about the 5th stage and knife throwers. I'll keep that in mind.

By the third loop I'm just trying to survive that stage with a decent amount of health for Mr. X.

4th stage is easy to point press on the first loop. After that it might be better to play it safe and get out of there ASAP. I especially hate when I kill the magician and die at the same time, so annoying.

Events Team · Posted
10 hours ago, mbd39 said:

I never knew that about the 5th stage and knife throwers. I'll keep that in mind.

By the third loop I'm just trying to survive that stage with a decent amount of health for Mr. X.

4th stage is easy to point press on the first loop. After that it might be better to play it safe and get out of there ASAP. I especially hate when I kill the magician and die at the same time, so annoying.

Yeah, by the 3rd loop, the 12th jump kick kill strat is definitely a 'do it at your own risk' thing for the 3rd-4th-5th stages. When playing more conservatively, I usually drop it as soon as I get hit by a knife or if the pattern of enemies looks too risky. But I always keep the door open in case it unfolds well.

4th stage is very problematic because the wizard is the biggest asshole in the game. You want to get to him with full health, at least not getting hit by a knife or moth before tackling him. I like to set the stage for the possibility of point pressing after the boss (getting a 11th kill on the knife thrower strat explained in my post above), see how the boss fight goes, and if I get out of it it with a bunch of health, point press, but if I got wrecked badly by the wizard, GTFO of here ASAP.

Events Team · Posted
5 hours ago, NESfiend said:

@guillavoiethe videos you posted are insane! We need a gui vs bea contest during a break week some time! @Jeevancan moderate

I appreciate you liking them, and thank you for giving me a good reason to play a few rounds of Kung Fu and feel like a man again.

It's funny cause there is definitely some games that Bea and I are both decent at that could make for a good match up. We could play Makaimura (Harder jap version of Ghosts & Goblins), even though I would probably get my ass kicked, lol!

• Like 1

Events Team · Posted
9 hours ago, guillavoie said:

I appreciate you liking them, and thank you for giving me a good reason to play a few rounds of Kung Fu and feel like a man again.

It's funny cause there is definitely some games that Bea and I are both decent at that could make for a good match up. We could play Makaimura (Harder jap version of Ghosts & Goblins), even though I would probably get my ass kicked, lol!

I am quite rusty because I haven't been playing NES this year at all, but I think I can quickly get my Makaimura form back if I put some practising time in.
Could be fun, if I can find the time.