BeaIank

Man, Kung Fu has everything for competitions:

-Allows pause after death
-shows score on pause
-shows game mode -A- or -B- on screen
-shows how many loops completed (Dragon icon) on screen
-saves high score
-loops indefinitely
-loops get more difficult (from what I've seen so far)
-only a single 1up granted (at 50k pts) so no stockpiling lives to last forever

And best of all, the sound effects of kicking and punching are awesome, as is the little background ditty!

My only real gripe is that there are not enough digits in the score.  It's only a matter of time until mbd9000 wraps this bad boy...

Edited by Dr. Morbis
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

I was surprised to see I don’t own this one?! Oh well, not enough time to order one so here’s my score from an emulator. 😕 I might be able to play again, but my intent was just to get to floor two for a participation score. Mission accomplished.

111CCEA1-16B0-4F18-9D80-E627170C993E.jpeg

Events Team · Posted
22 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Man, Kung Fu has everything for competitions:

-Allows pause after death
-shows score on pause
-shows game mode -A- or -B- on screen
-shows how many loops completed (Dragon icon) on screen
-saves high score
-loops indefinitely
-loops get more difficult (from what I've seen so far)
-only a single 1up granted (at 50k pts) so no stockpiling lives to last forever

And best of all, the sound effects of kicking and punching are awesome, as is the little background ditty!

My only real gripe is that there are not enough digits in the score.  It's only a matter of time until mbd9000 wraps this bad boy...

An extra digit would make wonder here. At the least, it is easy to track rolled scores with progression by seeing the loop you're in (thanks to that dragon icon).

• Like 1

So who's got the strategy tips?

I thought it was good to run down the clock knocking guys out, but I'm pretty consistently scoring a few thousand higher by trying to get through levels as fast as possible. 

Full health at the end of a stage is worth 5000 points bonus. 

If you jumpkick every 12th gripper they are worth 1000(?) points. I have only been able to do this a few times ever since learning about it, none during this contest and never more thantwice in one game. It's hard to both pull off the move and keep count.

Tom toms (kids) are worth 500 points if you knock them out with a jump when they try to jump on your head.

The enemies that fall from the ceiling on the 2nd floor are worth the same points whether you punch or kick them. 

If the timer runs out (TIME 0000), it's the end of Thomas.

E35D1F74-7AE6-4FE6-9983-DC6616E46ED0.jpeg

Edited by Link

Events Team · Posted
6 minutes ago, Link said:

So who's got the strategy tips?

I thought it was good to run down the clock knocking guys out, but I'm pretty consistently scoring a few thousand higher by trying to get through levels as fast as possible. 

Full health at the end of a stage is worth 5000 points bonus. 

If you jumpkick every 12th gripper they are worth 1000(?) points. 

Tom toms (kids) are worth 500 points if you knock them out with a jump when they try to jump on your head.

The enemies that fall from the ceiling on the 2nd floor are worth the same points whether you punch or kick them. 

If the timer runs out (TIME 0000), it's the end of Thomas.

It is only worth running down the clock if you kept jump kicking every 12th enemies for a bonus 5000 points. If you missed one of them, you can't get the bonus anymore and it is best to just go straight to the end once the boss is out of the way.

7 minutes ago, guillavoie said:

If you missed one of them, you can't get the bonus anymore and it is best to just go straight to the end once the boss is out of the way.

On levels with mostly tall guys, youd be surprised how quick you can get 12 guys beat going back and forth at the end. If you have time and energy, try to squeeze in that last 5000, or two, right before you cross the line. 

Events Team · Posted
2 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

On levels with mostly tall guys, youd be surprised how quick you can get 12 guys beat going back and forth at the end. If you have time and energy, try to squeeze in that last 5000, or two, right before you cross the line. 

I wouldn't be surprised as it is what I do 🙂

I always try to jump kick the 12th enemy I kill, and if I don't mess up (shit happens, and sometimes you get fucked with two knife throwers on the 12th count), I beat the boss ASAP and use all the time left to get more 5000 bonus by jump kicking the 12th enemy. 

As the loops add up it gets harder and harder to do it consistently, especially on the 4th and 5th stage, but in the 3 first loops I try to point press the 5000 bonus in all stages, if everything goes well naturally.

• Love 1

25 minutes ago, guillavoie said:

in the 3 first loops I try to point press the 5000 bonus in all stages, if everything goes well naturally.

Ok, you have to submit an unofficial score, even if it isnt before this ends. The fact that this is achievable to you is ridiculous. Cant imagine surviving pressing that much

Edit: or surviving that far at all really. The bosses seem to get so much harder post loop 2. 

Edited by NESfiend
  • Like 1

Events Team · Posted
2 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

Ok, you have to submit an unofficial score, even if it isnt before this ends. The fact that this is achievable to you is ridiculous. Cant imagine surviving pressing that much

Edit: or surviving that far at all really. The bosses seem to get so much harder post loop 2.

I could try to record a video! I'm not saying that I'll get a run where I succeed to point press in all stages of the first 3 loops, but it would definitely show that I'm trying somehow to do it. 1 life rule make it harder for survival as well, I only played 4 lives contest in the past.

Oh, and as we all know, stage 2 point pressing is not with the 12th enemy but by exploiting the dragons / balls in the air / snake vases phase. I use to burn my extra lives at the stage 2 of 4th loop IIRC, and then just hope I survive the most stages after that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mbd39 said:

It's important knowing when to point press and knowing when to play it safe. Survival is key especially in a one life contest.

Yeah, hardcore point-scumming is only useful to those who are confident in their late-loop survival abilities, and those who do not get easily frustrated.  Incidentally, I'm more on the survival side of the coin...