IGNORED

2022 VGS NES Weekly Contest - Paperboy 2!

BeaIank

19 minutes ago, PII said:

Try Snake Rattle N Roll Sometime, if you haven't already.

I've heard the end boss of that one is super hard, but it looks like a quality game.

As for Paperboy 2, I was going to play till I beat it, but at this point it's taking me like 45 minutes per run just to get to hard street, so I think I'm done.  I don't know if @Krunch will give you a run for your money, but I'm gonna hope for second or third...  😛

19 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

I've heard the end boss of that one is super hard, but it looks like a quality game.

As for Paperboy 2, I was going to play till I beat it, but at this point it's taking me like 45 minutes per run just to get to hard street, so I think I'm done.  I don't know if @Krunch will give you a run for your money, but I'm gonna hope for second or third...  😛

I screwed up a great run where I went into middle with 9 lives and even retained it for a few days.   Think I'm in good shape to at least attempt the victory 

8 minutes ago, Krunch said:

Wow!  I feel less bad about not reaching the 240 bar.  Think I pulled 2nd...just....if im reading this correctly.  My last two hours of playing didnt get me any higher, but there were some big mistakes

You sneaky guy, you beat me by less than one paper delivery!  Congrats on that, and congrats to @PII for putting in the work and earning the number one spot two weeks in a row...

Edited by Dr. Morbis
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:
9 minutes ago, Krunch said:

Wow!  I feel less bad about not reaching the 240 bar.  Think I pulled 2nd...just....if im reading this correctly.  My last two hours of playing didnt get me any higher, but there were some big mistakes

You sneaky guy, you beat me by like two paper deliveries!  Congrats on that, and congrats to @PII for putting in the work and earning the number one spot two weeks in a row...

Thanks and nice job guys!  

In spite of the potential for frustration due to hit detection and the games odd balance between demanding precision at times while being forgiving of a lack of precision at other times, I think this is a really great game with a ton of replay value mainly because of the random placement of the houses and corresponding obstacles.  Every play is going to be different.  It seems no matter how much I learn or memorize there remains the need for improvisation and I think that's really underrated.  Game developers should have taken note when this came out and designed more games with these randomized layouts...

29 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

You sneaky guy, you beat me by less than one paper delivery!  Congrats on that, and congrats to @PII for putting in the work and earning the number one spot two weeks in a row...

Thanks man.  I was freaking out cause my run was blowing up as I approached 175k.  Then I skirted disaster but missed a crucial paper refill, which made me miss easy points then made me die (had no papers to defend with).  So i was like dayuum I only knew you had 175something until I checked.  Played later and got 168.  Lots of mistakes on that one.  It's pretty hard to keep up the perfect subscriptions

20 minutes ago, PII said:

Thanks and nice job guys!  

In spite of the potential for frustration due to hit detection and the games odd balance between demanding precision at times while being forgiving of a lack of precision at other times, I think this is a really great game with a ton of replay value mainly because of the random placement of the houses and corresponding obstacles.  Every play is going to be different.  It seems no matter how much I learn or memorize there remains the need for improvisation and I think that's really underrated.  Game developers should have taken note when this came out and designed more games with these randomized layouts...

I 100% agree and the randomness definitely kept it fresh.  The way the house layouts combo and segue together is interesting, I found myself enjoying certain layouts more.  Some combos are brutal like the non-subscriber house with the dog segued into the cemetary, to go through the fence off the ramp is possible but you gotta slow right down and veer left to miss the fence.  Worse with the garbage can there too.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Krunch said:

I 100% agree and the randomness definitely kept it fresh.  The way the house layouts combo and segue together is interesting, I found myself enjoying certain layouts more.  Some combos are brutal like the non-subscriber house with the dog segued into the cemetary, to go through the fence off the ramp is possible but you gotta slow right down and veer left to miss the fence.  Worse with the garbage can there too.

Yeah, tots.  Had to remember not to go into that yard and go off that ramp when the haunted house was next.  On Hard Way the program likes to give the player that haunted house right at the beginning of a block so you've gotta get right over, turn straight again and immediately take out the bird on the tombstone all in one fluid sweep or that bird hits you and then you've gotta take out the specter a second later or it comes after you and unlike on the earlier streets it'll chase you very fast and just like the bird there's NO way to get away no matter what direction or how fast you go.  That was probably the worst.  The skateboard kid could be a real pain too.  Can't help thinking that his would also make a good SpeedRunning game.

• The topic was unpinned