IGNORED

What was the game you thought you were great at and someone owned you on it?

Lago

I used to consider myself generally good at games.  In my younger years I am on the bad side of average now.  I didn’t think I was the best at anything until Tecmo Super Bowl came out.

I played that game constantly.  My favorite team was the Giants.  I was an absolute terror with Lawrence Taylor on defense.  I didn’t just play with the Giants.  I played with all teams.  I was unbeatable.

Until one day, I’m over at my uncles and some people are there I’ve never seen.  Some punk was talking about how good he was.  I laugh because I am better.  There’s only one way this can be decided.

I pick my beloved Giants and he picks the 49ers.  He then proceeds to pummel me.  Plays as the nose tackle on defense and instant sacks me every time I am not in shotgun.  I don’t remember the score, but the game was mercifully stopped at half time.  I didn’t have a prayer. 

Your turn!  I can’t be the only one this happened to.

• Like 5

I thought I was decent at gradius 3 and then Maximus clean picked it up , first flipping try, and destroys me.

we also then played baseball stars which I’d played a million times and he’d never picked up, only for me to win by the narrowest of margins.   

Hes good, I’m not

• Like 1

In terms of physically being owned by a friend, earlier this year when I got my Mortal Kombat Arcade1Up I spent about 2 hours playing the first game and thought I got pretty good, and then invited over a friend who hadn't played the arcade machine since the 90s. I thought I was gonna serve him up but within a minute or two he'd remembered all the moves simply through muscle memory and he won most of the matches

• Like 1

I've never thought I was exceptional at any game because I know that all to well.  However, back in the day of THPS3, I use to play the airport because I had a run that could net be about 8m points which was waaaaaaaay more than any of my buddies could do.  I was in college, living in a dorm at the time and a guy on the other end of the hall casually walked into my room, saw me playing the level and just threw out there in a non-bragging way, "That's a fair run.  My high is 21m, what's yours?"  After I just made something like 7.5m I was like "Um... 8.5?"

Later I had to walk to his room to confirm that, yes, this semi-casual gaming, college basketball team member could, in fact, absolutely cream my "killer score".  Eventually, I think I was able to break 10-12m, but I NEVER got up to 21m.  Jeez, that's God-Mode to me and I'm pretty sure on YouTube there are many more far higher than that guy's score.

• Like 1

I don't think I ever had that kind of realization directly but the rise in popularity of competitive esports Quake in the early 2000s showed me how utterly worthless I was at FPS. The rise in popularity of speedrunning in the modern era has showed me how worthless I am at every other game. When some guy has a timer on the screen showing he's been playing Batman and only Batman on NES for 500 hours to get a run that isn't even perfect, I know I don't have the dedication to one game to get real good.

• Like 1

Frequency on PS2.  I could whip all of my friends and all newcomers who happened to wander into any of our group game nights.  That all changed the moment I got a PS2 broadband adapter and the online disc for Frequency...never have I been so shamed at a game that I'm actually good at in single or multiplayer!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Lago said:

I used to consider myself generally good at games.  In my younger years I am on the bad side of average now.  I didn’t think I was the best at anything until Tecmo Super Bowl came out.

I played that game constantly.  My favorite team was the Giants.  I was an absolute terror with Lawrence Taylor on defense.  I didn’t just play with the Giants.  I played with all teams.  I was unbeatable.

Until one day, I’m over at my uncles and some people are there I’ve never seen.  Some punk was talking about how good he was.  I laugh because I am better.  There’s only one way this can be decided.

I pick my beloved Giants and he picks the 49ers.  He then proceeds to pummel me.  Plays as the nose tackle on defense and instant sacks me every time I am not in shotgun.  I don’t remember the score, but the game was mercifully stopped at half time.  I didn’t have a prayer. 

Your turn!  I can’t be the only one this happened to.

I did that to my buddy on one of the NCAA games (either 99 or 2000).   If you played as Texas A&M, Dat Nguyen could tackle the quarterback before the handoff.

As far as games, I thought I was pretty good at MTPO until I saw people getting first round TKOs on Tyson.   Also thought I was decent at Tetris.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BriGuy82 said:

I thought I was pretty good at double dragon 2. So when it got picked in a tournament a few years back I thought I had it in the bag. But then I found out double dragon 2 is some folks religion around these parts. And uhh... I pretty much got owned by everyone. 🤷‍♂️

Double Dragon 2? Never heard of it. 😂

Another one, sort of.  Like everyone in the mid-90s, I loved GoldenEye.  On the main game, I got to where I could beat the game at the maxed difficulty level.  I thought I was rather proficient at memorizing an running the levels and then, on IGN, someone posted a grainy speedrun of the Facility.  I can't recall the time but it was ridiculously fast and IIRC, it was my introduction into "speed running".  I studied that video and every move, even though it was around 21MB, I think, and super grainy.

It helped me a lot and though I never beat that players time, I think I did get within a 3-5 seconds of matching it.

Edited by RH
  • Like 1