IGNORED

Are we on the brink of World War III?

RH

WW III  

60 members have voted

1. 1. Are we on the brink of World War III?

• Yes
    • No

I put it on 'oops' intentional.  He's having a melt down over their loss of the city of Kherson they stole some time back.  Knocked out a majority of the power grid, (air quotes) "coincidentally" taking Moldova's power out as well...oops, and then fires well over the border, 4 miles over the border into Poland to attack food and kills a couple people.  Yeah, he's a piece of shit, no way that's an accident, yet plausibly deniable for sure as it can be laid on some random officer.

Social Team · Posted

Reports coming in suggest these missiles were used to shot down the incoming rockets, they are anti-air defense missiles.  The thing is that there are also reports that Russia has tried to use these same anti-air missiles as attack weapons for ground targets.  That is a totally different function so that could explain why they ended up in Poland.  Biden said the trajectory of the missiles are not looking at a Russian attack.  AKA US military radar shows them coming from Ukrainian held territory.

All in all the missiles hit a farming field and unfortunately two people had some really bad luck.  If Russia was going to attack a NATO country this is a worthless target to attack.  Again the focus should be on what kind of weapon was used and what is the most reasonable answer to what happen.  Ukraine trying to shoot down an attack and the anti-air missile missed it's target and ended up in a farming field in Poland sound pretty reasonable to me.  US backing that story with the trajectory of the missile seals it for me.  Now is there a what if scenario where it was a Russian attack.  Sure, but again for what military purpose.  Until some new information comes out that says otherwise I'm not worried about WWIII starting over this incident.

Social Team · Posted

New information...

Size of the crater could totally invalidate the ground to air defense theory.  Also I'm REALLY not happy that the theory started on platforms known to be sources of Russian disinformation.  Finally it's in America's interest to not prove Russia killed two NATO citizens in a NATO country so I can see them telling a white lie.  I'm sure someone will vet the size of the crater for the ground to air defense missile possibility.  Ukraine of course could help vet this by saying if they launched any missiles directed towards Poland.

• 2 weeks later...

If you read enough Philip K Dick -- don't recommend it personally, in my mind he's not a good writer, although he has good ideas his writing level is around 10th grade-- at any rate, it seems like 1/2 of his short stories are all about the world after some sort of nuclear war and he loves to toss around the word "slag" everywhere! PKD would have loved to write a story about grey squares made of plastic with computer chipcs in a nuclear wasteland, maybe he'd call it Nintendoslag...

Forgot about this thread, seems like a good idea to share this, found a Ukrainian that's on youtube about a week ago now or two and he seems to be a pretty good guy and level headed.  Each day, recently he went on the move to get away from harm so it's added to things, but he reports on layers of this stuff.  Both sides propaganda, the patent russian lies in their media and spin, what really is happening by the day as the front moves or not, and what it appears is being done.  Interesting clips and pics of things that matter.  Honestly I can't say if it's 100% fair as I don't read russian, but, it does give a unique taste of what's going on vs what the shitty media is throwing out there if anyone is interested??

• Like 1

On 11/26/2022 at 11:04 PM, Tanooki said:

Forgot about this thread, seems like a good idea to share this, found a Ukrainian that's on youtube about a week ago now or two and he seems to be a pretty good guy and level headed.  Each day, recently he went on the move to get away from harm so it's added to things, but he reports on layers of this stuff.  Both sides propaganda, the patent russian lies in their media and spin, what really is happening by the day as the front moves or not, and what it appears is being done.  Interesting clips and pics of things that matter.  Honestly I can't say if it's 100% fair as I don't read russian, but, it does give a unique taste of what's going on vs what the shitty media is throwing out there if anyone is interested??

With today's technology, we can really see what is happening from a non-combatant's point of view. Amazing! Oh yeah, also Sláva Ukrayíni

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, 360collector said:

I think we need to be cautious about underestimating Russia. They have seemed weak this whole war, outdated trash equipment etc. It seems too good to be true that this is all they have. Also running out of missiles, I doubt it. China, Iran etc is no doubt sending them supplies

I'm sure they have a lot left, but they can only get so much new tech slid in as they don't do it themselves really.  Classic russia is more just throw a meat wall at it with standard weapons, this hasn't been done yet.  That could be a real problem if it goes that crazy.

Social Team · Posted
9 hours ago, Tanooki said:

I'm sure they have a lot left, but they can only get so much new tech slid in as they don't do it themselves really.  Classic russia is more just throw a meat wall at it with standard weapons, this hasn't been done yet.  That could be a real problem if it goes that crazy.

Good military equipment/tech means little to nothing without good training, good tactics, good support, and good soldiers/leaders at the front lines.  Russia seems to have issues with all of the above.  What has been of note is the lack soldiers at the platoon and squad level to make decisions and react to shit as it unfolds.  Apparently they lead from the General level which is just not good because of how much shit changes when boots hit the ground.  This is what makes our military so great is that at the NCO level our soldiers lead for the most part.  As such our Generals give an overall order but at the ground level there is the ability to adapt and change to achieve the overall goal.  This makes sense when you realize that NCO's are typically the most experience military members actually doing the "work" and how much we push leadership on their shoulders.  Our NCO's are trained to think and react without officer's direction/guidance.  Which means when the LT is KIA/MIA the platoon won't suffer too much.  Honestly in general it's better to lose the LT than the platoon sergeant.  LT is just a college degree with a year or two of leadership training.  Often platoon sergeants have a college degree AND over a dozen years of leadership experience and years of leadership training.

I'm quite aware of that deficiency, it has been an issue from the beginning when they kept losing generals and just under over and over, and the result was basically headless chicken syndrome which was fantastic.  It's another stupid russian classic of theirs right along with the flood the meat grinder stunt.  They're stupid, they get drunk, they don't give a shit, and if the boss man is gone(or dead) it's just going to be a route, retreat, or defection/surrender to the other side as many don't want to be there.  Also their training...shit.  Maybe a couple weeks or so at this rate, but worse, when even they are, they train by beatings, fear, intimidation, hazings, attempted murder, other forms of mental and physical abuse.  It makes them so so very loyal(not.)  Russia has a truly f'd up setup to their military and how they think things should be recruited, trained, commanded, and supplied... all crap.

Russian Deserter in Rambo-Style Attack Is Tied to Putin’s Private Army

https://www.thedailybeast.com/russian-deserter-in-rambo-style-attack-is-tied-to-notorious-wagner-group

A suspected Russian deserter who brought the war against Ukraine to Russian soil on Tuesday by opening fire on cops with a machine gun was reportedly a prison inmate tossed onto the battlefield by the notorious Wagner Group.

The Russian outlet Baza, citing unnamed sources, identified the shooter as a convicted felon from a penal colony in Ufa who had been serving a prison sentence for theft and robbery when he was signed up for the war as part of Wagner’s prison-recruitment scheme.

The incident has largely been played down in Russian state media, where the gunman’s reported links to the war against Ukraine were conveniently left out. The Investigative Committee confirmed the gunman had previously been convicted of theft and robbery, however, according to RIA Novosti.

Yevgeny Prigozhin, the Putin-friendly businessman behind Wagner, issued a bizarre statement in which he appeared to question why an alleged crime committed by a mercenary under his command was not properly covered up by Russian law enforcement authorities.

I feel like it's time to re-do Hogan's Heroes but with Russia as the antagonists!

bots GIF

• 4 weeks later...

Second Russian Defense Sector Bigwig Dies in Two Days

https://www.thedailybeast.com/alexei-maslov-is-second-russian-defense-sector-bigwig-to-die-in-two-days

The former commander-in-chief of Russia’s ground forces died in a military hospital earlier this week—the second bigwig in the country’s military industrial complex to die in just two days.

They are just the latest senior Russia military or political elites to drop dead unexpectedly in recent months.

Alexei Maslov, a retired army general, was serving as a special representative of military-technical cooperation for Uralvagonzavod, Russia’s largest tank manufacturer, when he died “unexpectedly” last Saturday, the company announced in a statement.

No cause of death was given.

No cause of death needs to be given! We all know who is responsible...

kate mckinnon snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

• Agree 1

• 1 month later...

Gen. David Petraeus: How the war in Ukraine will end

https://www.cnn.com/2023/02/14/opinions/petraeus-how-ukraine-war-ends-bergen-ctpr/index.html

Who’s winning the war?
Petraeus: It is not Russia. Russia has, after all, lost the Battles of Kyiv, Sumy, Chernihiv, and Kharkiv; failed to take the rest of Ukraine’s southern coast (not even getting through Mykolaiv, much less to the major port at Odesa).

Several years back, some people were calling NATO obsolete. Is it?
Petraeus: This question gets at one of the ironies of the situation. Putin set out to “Make Russia Great Again.” However, what he has done is make NATO great again – with two very capable, historically neutral powers (Finland and Sweden) seeking NATO membership; with substantially increased defense spending by NATO members, most notably Germany; with augmentation of NATO forces in the Baltic states and eastern Europe; and with the greatest unity among NATO members since the end of the Cold War.

How does this end?
Petraeus: I think it ends in a negotiated resolution, when Putin recognizes that the war is unsustainable on both the battlefield (where Russia has in the first year likely taken many times the losses that the USSR took in nearly a decade in Afghanistan) and on the home front (which has been heavily impacted by economic, financial, economic, and personal sanctions and export controls).

Also when Ukraine reaches the limits of its ability to withstand missile and drone strikes, getting a Marshall-like plan (developed by the US and G7) to help rebuild the country, and gaining an ironclad security guarantee (either NATO membership or, if that is not possible, a US-led coalition guarantee). A security guarantee will be critical to enabling the success of the reconstruction effort and attracting outside investment.

• Agree 1