IGNORED

Nintendo 64 Weekly Contest Round 10: Ucchannanchan no Hono no Challenger: Denryū Iraira Bo

Red

Hello and welcome to the 10th and final round of the Nintendo 64 Weekly Contest!  This week's game is the indisputable greatest Nintendo 64 game of all time, Ucchannanchan no Hono no Challenger: Denryū Iraira Bo.  Don't give up if you find this game irritating!  Stick with it and go for the lowest time!  Don't wait until the last minute like you did with GoldenEye 007!

Rules:

- Press Start on the title screen to open the main menu.
- Choose the first option, タイムアタック (Time Attack).
- You should now be on the course select screen.  Starting from the left, play the first three stages.  This is what they look like:

stage1.png.cf8b2bb58139eb193a1f5f848f8efb29.png

stage2.png.0a64a73331fd7d237429f75ac178006c.png

stage3.png.a6a436f3bd4b5169bf879716e8b8aa33.png

- The next screen is the rod selection screen.  Choose any rod you want (Hint: if you're having trouble completing a stage, try the one on the far left.  If you want a better time, try the one on the far right).
- Play each stage to completion.  If you can not complete a stage, you will not receive any points.
- Add up your total time from all three stages.
- If you were unable to complete any of the stages, add 10 minutes to your total time for each stage you could not complete.
- Lowest total time from all three stages wins.

- You have until 11:00 PM EST on Sunday, February 20, 2022 to submit your score.

For general contest rules, click here:

https://www.videogamesages.com/forums/topic/9667-nintendo-64-weekly-contest-leaderboard-rules-20212022/

Good luck and have fun!

SCOREBOARD:

1. 3'31"348 (Splain)

2. 20'48"449 (Jeevan)

Edited by Red
  • Like 1

Events Helper · Posted
2 minutes ago, Red said:

Hello and welcome to the 10th and final round of the Nintendo 64 Weekly Contest!  This week's game is the indisputable greatest Nintendo 64 game of all time, Ucchannanchan no Hono no Challenger: Denryū Iraira Bo.  Don't give up if you find this game irritating!  Stick with it and go for the lowest time!  Don't wait until the last minute like you did with GoldenEye 007!

Rules:

- Press Start on the title screen to open the main menu.
- Choose the first option, タイムアタック (Time Attack).
- You should now be on the course select screen.  Starting from the left, play the first three stages.  This is what they look like:

stage1.png.cf8b2bb58139eb193a1f5f848f8efb29.png

stage2.png.0a64a73331fd7d237429f75ac178006c.png

stage3.png.a6a436f3bd4b5169bf879716e8b8aa33.png

- The next screen is the rod selection screen.  Choose any rod you want (Hint: if you're having trouble completing a stage, try the one on the far left.  If you want a better time, try the one on the far right).
- Play each stage to completion.  If you can not complete a stage, you will not receive any points.
- Add up your total time from all three stages.
- If you were unable to complete any of the stages, add 10 minutes to your total time for each stage you could not complete.
- Lowest total time from all three stages wins.

- You have until 11:00 PM EST on Sunday, February 20, 2022 to submit your score.

For general contest rules, click here:

https://www.videogamesages.com/forums/topic/9667-nintendo-64-weekly-contest-leaderboard-rules-20212022/

Good luck and have fun!

SCOREBOARD:

good thing that game came in like 4 days from Japan, only problem is it was 17 bux for shipping for a 2 dollar game 😒.  I actually look forward to this one tho!!!!

Editorials Team · Posted
1 hour ago, Jeevan said:

i literally saw none, not sure what to search then, but i got my copy for 5 bux more lol

came in 4 days from japan

4 days??? Wow. Hopefully mine comes real quick. I'm going to play on emulator until then though.

The tricky thing with Japanese games is that different people write out the English-ized title differently. So you have to search a few different ways, and sometimes it's worth it to go REAL general and scroll through a few pages of results. Also, eBay search is kinda crappy. There's stuff that absolutely should be showing up in my searches that just isn't. Shrug.

CNK1pw5.png

• Like 1

Events Helper · Posted
3 minutes ago, Splain said:

4 days??? Wow. Hopefully mine comes real quick. I'm going to play on emulator until then though.

The tricky thing with Japanese games is that different people write out the English-ized title differently. So you have to search a few different ways, and sometimes it's worth it to go REAL general and scroll through a few pages of results. Also, eBay search is kinda crappy. There's stuff that absolutely should be showing up in my searches that just isn't. Shrug.

CNK1pw5.png

image.png.2563a3a540523b9f8e786928d05dd271.png

All from japan, idk, i got it though lol  yours will prolly take like 10 days......

but ya, interesting enough i bought it.  Let's hope i don't regret it 😆

1 hour ago, Jeevan said:

This game reminds me of something from unbeatable banzuke, it could have totally been something on this show!

It's from a show called Challengers on Fire (that seems to be the official English translation).  The stage designs in the game are based on the actual challenges from the show.  A bit more information on the show:

https://www.tv-asahi.co.jp/ips/contents/Formats/0053/data/ChallengersOnFire.pdf

And a video from the segment the game is based on:

• Like 1

This feels like a game that might have had a peripheral potentially sold separately.  I tried this game weeks ago and commented on it on the main thread.  Using a Switch Pro on emulator, this game was awful for me.  FYI, if you touch the wall, you start over.  No checkpoints.

10 hours ago, RH said:

I tried this game weeks ago and commented on it on the main thread.

If I recall correctly, you called me evil.

10 hours ago, RH said:

FYI, if you touch the wall, you start over.  No checkpoints.

Try using the rod on the far left.  It gives you a second chance.  I was originally going to ban it's use for this competition, but after what happened on GoldenEye 007 week, I didn't want to make participation too difficult for the remaining games.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Events Helper · Posted
19 minutes ago, Red said:

If I recall correctly, you called me evil.

Try using the rod on the far left.  It gives you a second chance.  I was originally going to ban it's use for this competition, but after what happened on GoldenEye 007 week, I didn't want to make participation too difficult for the remaining games.

I think it should be banned 😉  

9 hours ago, Jeevan said:

weird, i found 2 but whatever, i got a copy lol, i never would have thought to shorten it to find it in the u.s.

Pro tip for eBay (which you probably already know) but any time you need to search for something for the smallest set off unique terms that you can use, even if the search term in context doesn't make sense.  You might get extra cruff in the results list but, IMHO, I'd rather catch everything that I'd be interested in versus a "close" list.

For example, I still keep an eye out for rare Super Mario Land variants.  Instead of searching for something like "Super Mario Land -2 -3 Game Boy -complete -sealed -cib" I have a saved search for "Super Mario Land".  I know that's simple but I see everything related to this game.

I know this is different but if I ever look for this game but I'd probably try searches like "denryu", "ucchannanchan" and  "hono challenger".  I'd have no clue what those results would turn out since I don't know Japanese, but it would likely catch just about everything out there in the US.

Events Helper · Posted
1 hour ago, RH said:

Pro tip for eBay (which you probably already know) but any time you need to search for something for the smallest set off unique terms that you can use, even if the search term in context doesn't make sense.  You might get extra cruff in the results list but, IMHO, I'd rather catch everything that I'd be interested in versus a "close" list.

For example, I still keep an eye out for rare Super Mario Land variants.  Instead of searching for something like "Super Mario Land -2 -3 Game Boy -complete -sealed -cib" I have a saved search for "Super Mario Land".  I know that's simple but I see everything related to this game.

I know this is different but if I ever look for this game but I'd probably try searches like "denryu", "ucchannanchan" and  "hono challenger".  I'd have no clue what those results would turn out since I don't know Japanese, but it would likely catch just about everything out there in the US.

fair, i know when i was buying high end items recently the searches were just the name, but obviously they are ntsc, and easy to come across........just seems weird that searching for what splain told me brought up us sellers 🤷‍♂️  Guess i just believe searching for exactly what you want gets you what you want, but i guess in this case it didn't 😆  Stupid U.S. sellers 😒

Editorials Team · Posted

It came in the mail! This game is ridiculous. But now I own it. I got times for those first three levels, but I'm still playing. I learned that holding R makes your rod travel faster. Good for long, straight stretches. I discovered that while working on the 3rd level, so my times for the first 2 will be coming down. Free tip: just use the far-right rod. The far-left is great and all, but especially on that 3rd level, reaching the finish line at all is quite a trick. If you have the left rod that sets you back but gives you another chance, you're just going to run out of time anyway.

3'31"348 (I think. Time math is hard.)

c5vcvCV.jpg

mxOVKhx.jpg

H8H2heo.jpg

Events Helper · Posted

I can't win, so here is my time for the 1 stage I had time to complete this week......So much for having a lot of time this week to do anything.  Life caught up and I had zero time to complete anymore, but I will definitely be playing through this game as it is super fun and quirky!

48"449

YfhyltI.jpg

7 hours ago, Red said:

That's it for week 10!  Congratulations to @Splain for taking first place.  The leaderboard has been updated where @Splain took first place as well (like he did in the Virtual Boy contest last year).  Hopefully those who joined in had a good time and maybe discovered a fun new game or two.

Thank you so much for hosting this!  I really wanted to participate more than I was able but I've just been super busy and for some of these competitions, I just wasn't able to be proficient enough to place.  Regardless, i had a blast and I appreciate your hosting the tournament!

See you guys next time!

10 hours ago, Splain said:

I'm still playing, going for REALLY good times, and it is so frustrating, lol. I can't believe this game exists.

Yeah, this is why on an earlier thread I posted this game was "evil" and so was Red for selecting it.

I still can't see how a third-party specialty device would help this game, but something about it feels like it should have come with a different type of controller, although I'm sure it didn't.

Regardless, I'm glad I got to try it out if for no other reason than to just see another oddball game out of Japan that they could sell over there, but never in the US.  Man, could you imagine the rage of the 5 people in the US if this was released hear from the people that bought it (or more likely got it as a birthday/Christmas gift?)

1 hour ago, RH said:

Yeah, this is why on an earlier thread I posted this game was "evil" and so was Red for selecting it.

I still can't see how a third-party specialty device would help this game, but something about it feels like it should have come with a different type of controller, although I'm sure it didn't.

Regardless, I'm glad I got to try it out if for no other reason than to just see another oddball game out of Japan that they could sell over there, but never in the US.  Man, could you imagine the rage of the 5 people in the US if this was released hear from the people that bought it (or more likely got it as a birthday/Christmas gift?)

The PlayStation sequel (or maybe it would be considered an enhanced port?) was released in the US as Irritating Stick.  It has more levels, a multiplayer mode, and mouse support.  With a name like that, you'd think most parents would avoid buying it as a birthday or Christmas gift, but it wouldn't surprise me if it happened.

I gotta say, this game grew on me.  I originally got it in a lot years ago.  I played it once back then, didn't like it, and didn't touch it again until I was testing out games for this competition.  I wound up playing though all the levels except for the last one, which I couldn't beat.  I started playing again last week and replayed the levels I beat before to get my name on the scoreboards for all of them (during my first play through, I didn't beat the previous owners best times or I used the far left rod, which doesn't let you enter your name on the scoreboard).  I still can't beat the last stage, but I'm getting closer!

Edited by Red
  • Like 1
  • Wow! 1