IGNORED

VGS Game of the Year 2021 Winner - Metroid Dread

DoctorEncore

The Officially Unofficial VGS Game of the Year 2021 Poll - Voting Closed!  

23 members have voted

1. 1. VGS Game of the Year 2021 - The Grand Saggie

• Big Brain Academy: Brain vs. Brain - Switch
    • Halo Infinite - Xbox/PC
    • It Takes Two - Multiplatform
    • Metroid Dread - Switch
    • Pac-Man 99 - Switch
    • Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart - Playstation 5
    • Resident Evil Village - Multiplatform
    • New Pokemon Snap - Switch
  2. 2. Best Game VGS Apparently Forgot About - The Lost Saggie

• Age of Empires IV - PC
    • Death's Door - Multiplatform
    • Deathloop - Playstation 5
    • Forza Horizon 5 - Xbox/PC
    • Psychonauts 2 - Multiplatform
    • Returnal - Playstation 5
    • Shin Megami Tensei V - Switch

This poll is closed to new votes

And the winner is Metroid Dread!

Slideshow: Metroid Dread Screenshots

Psychonauts 2 takes home the consolation prize in the forgotten games category.

Psychonauts 2 on GOG.com

Voter turnout was strong and the VGS members showed their (unsurprising) love for the series that kickstarted the whole 2D exploration genre. We actually had a 5-way tie for second place which is unprecedented! Okay, it's actually precedented since it's happened in 100% of VGS GOTY polls so far. But in five years it will be UNPRECEDENTED!

While Metroid didn't do it for me personally, it seems like almost everyone considers it a return to form for a classic franchise. Psychonauts 2 (my personal favorite for the year) may have flown a bit under the radar, but its fantastic humor and thoughtful treatment of mental illness struck a chord with many.

For 2022, I'll try to start things a little earlier to give the nominations thread more time to gestate. Alternatively, I could start a nominations thread right now and let it run throughout the year. Thoughts?

Original Post:

You may be asking yourself, "What kind of website posts their Game of the Year poll in February?" Totally valid question with a few invalid answers.

1. This isn't an official award, despite my stature as a very official and important person.
  2. This website is filled with middle-aged adults with jobs and children and a million other things to do, which is really just another way of saying that we're very good at procrastinating.
  3. The Saggies are not meant to be taken lightly and require much thought and consideration. If they were published in January it would imply the process was rushed.

Without further ado, here are your nominees for the 2021 VGS Game of the Year - The Grand Saggie.

Fine Print: All rules are made up and meaningless and therefore subject to change. Games must have been released in the calendar year 2021 to be eligible for this award. In general, HD remasters, ports, and collections are not eligible for the Grand Saggie. Finalists are taken from VGS member suggestions found at  https://www.videogamesages.com/forums/topic/9860-vgs-favorite-games-of-2021/. Games must have received a minimum of two recommendations to make the list (I'm crying for you, my poor beloved Psychonauts 2). By voting in this poll you willingly relinquish all rights to your identity, property, patents, and all future and past jokes that I deem funny. Okay, that last sentence is completely untrue, but I might reuse some of your jokes without giving you credit. Voting will close on 02/13/22 at 11:59PM EST.

Edited by DoctorEncore
  • Love 1

50 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

everyone votes for the 1 game they played

Pretty much.  I not only didn't play a single game in either poll, but hadn't even really heard of most of them.  I guess that means that last year wasn't a particularly impactful year insofar as game releases was concerned, as normally stuff has at least popped up on my radar due to gaming media having talked about it, but a number greater than half of those shown just didn't.

2 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

everyone votes for the 1 game they played

17 minutes ago, Gloves said:

I'll have you know I've played FIVE of these games!

And I played 7! So there are at least a few modern gamers around.

We will have to see how things shake out this year, but I wanted to make it as fair as I could. All these games had at least two recommendations in the other thread and several in the second poll had one recommendation. But I was (and still am) concerned about the number of choices available. Hopefully some rogue members will come in and solve this problem for me.🤞

• Like 1

14 hours ago, OptOut said:

I only played Metroid Dread out of that list, so it gets my vote!

However, I cannot ACTUALLY vote for it because the poll won't let me only vote in that one, without also choosing a game in the second poll, which I didn't actually play any of...

So, um, this is a write-in ballot I guess! 😅

You can still vote! The second poll is specifically made up of games that were well-received by games media in 2021, but weren't discussed much or at all by VGS members. You can just vote for whichever one you think is coolest or best or whatever. The first poll is the true GOTY.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, CasualCart said:

Off to fight Mother Grain. I mean, Brain.

-CasualCart

1958291476_MetroidBread.jpg.94fa6b16e28c3ad8e817030b46d1574d.jpg

Alright, who's really good at using Blender? We need a 3D model created so we can 3D print it and send it to the GOTY winner. Does anyone know the President of Videogames phone number or email address? We're gonna need to make some connections to get this award to the right place.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

Had to go for Ratchet & Clank!

In December 2021, I luckily got a PS5 at cost from someone in a locally-based FB gaming group about 1.5 hours away from me. First thing I did before picking it up was buy R&C. 

Graphical powerhouse, non-stop action, insanely tight gameplay, fun collectibles, solid writing (per usual), etc. Can't really think of anything I'd change about it. 

I also voted for Deathloop, though it was the only game I have played from that list. I don't think it's quite as good as some reviews make it out to be, but once the gameplay/premise "clicked", it was tough to put down. Very unique experience, great weapon/perk system, and the visionaries were pretty wild. Not sure if I'll really go back to it but generally enjoyed every one of the 20 or so hours I put into it. 

Edited by Silent Hill
  • Like 1

Social Team · Posted
20 minutes ago, Silent Hill said:

Had to go for Ratchet & Clank!

In December 2021, I luckily got a PS5 at cost from someone in a locally-based FB gaming group about 1.5 hours away from me. First thing I did before picking it up was buy R&C. 

Graphical powerhouse, non-stop action, insanely tight gameplay, fun collectibles, solid writing (per usual), etc. Can't really think of anything I'd change about it. 

I also voted for Deathloop, though it was the only game I have played from that list. I don't think it's quite as good as some reviews make it out to be, but once the gameplay/premise "clicked", it was tough to put down. Very unique experience, great weapon/perk system, and the visionaries were pretty wild. Not sure if I'll really go back to it but generally enjoyed every one of the 20 or so hours I put into it. 

I thought I was going to be the only one voting for R&C.  I love the series and was the main driver for me to get a PS5 right away instead of waiting.  For being a launch title I can't wait and see what they do in the next game.

As for the second poll.  I've banned myself from playing the Psychonauts 2 until play the PSVR game.  I did watch a live stream play most of the game and it looked great and he said it was one of the best games he's played in a LONG while.  He's a harsh critic of video games yet gave it a 10/10, which he tries to never do because he thinks almost no game can be perfect and get a 10.

Edited by FireHazard51

I hadn't played any of those games in the second list, but I watched and entire play through of R&C.  I started just to get a feel for the PS5s graphics capabilities, but I found it interesting and short enough to just let it play in the background of my work, as it also had a cute enough story to enjoy.

Regardless, voted Forza 5 because it looks amazing and it the type of game to almost motivate me to pick up a current gen console. To bad I only have a 1080p TV!  But... then GT7 dropped a long demo yesterday and I have to say, it wore it better.

Edited by RH
  • Like 1

Administrator · Posted

While I really enjoyed R&C and Metroid Dread, I had to go for It Takes Two - because IMO, it was just a fantastic adventure that was SUPER fun to play co-op.  The game has so much to offer, and is just loads of fun to play.  I highly recommend it.

For the second part, I had to pick Psychonauts 2!  Psychonauts is a very beloved franchise of mine.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RH said:

I hadn't played any of those games in the second list, but I watched and entire play though of R&C.  I started just to get a feel for the PS5s graphics capabilities, but I found it interesting and short enough to just let it play in the background of my work, and had a cute enough story too.

Regardless... I voted Forza 5 because it looks amazing and it the type of game to almost motivate me to pick up a current gen console. To bad I only have a 1080p TV!  But... then GT7 dropped a long demo yesterday and I have to say, it wore it better.

I'm absolutely pumped for GT7 in a way that I haven't been for any game in years. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FireHazard51 said:

I thought I was going to be the only one voting for R&C.  I love the series and was the main driver for me to get a PS5 right away instead of waiting.  For being a launch title I can't wait and see what they do in the next game.

I can't even imagine what improvements they could even make. It's flawless. (my ONLY gripe now that I'm thinking about it was the lack of the Groovitron)